• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue ultimate 6.5 cm troubleshooting

George2

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2023
North carolina
Hello all,

I am working to diagnose an issue that is likely shooter error, but maybe more. I will appreciate any advice.

I have been trying to help a buddy develop a load for his 6.5 cm larue upper with a 22” stainless barrel. Honestly, I am struggling. I am not an ar-10 expert and most of my experience is with a bolt gun. I have an old OBR and have spent a lot of time behind SR-25’s and M110s, so I think I have realistic performance expectations, and a sense that something isn't right with this rifle.

My buddy was running .260 with average results. Swapped to his 6.5 cm barrel yesterday. Barrel nut torqued to spec, along with foregrip bolts. Used geissele reaction rod and quality torque wrench with the larue barrel nut tool.

When we went to the range, the rifle grouped about 2 moa with factory hornady amax for most five shot groups. None smaller than 1.6 moa, and some up to 3 moa at 100m. Similar results with 140 gr amax, newer hornady 140 eld, and with my loads… lap 136 scenar-L with 41, 42, and 42.5 gr h4350 loaded 2.84 coal (same setup as for my match bolt gun, just backed off charge a bit and worked up).

swapped scopes to a leupold mk-6 3-18. No change to groups.

swapped bags and shooters. No change

swapped ammo. No change.

with hornady factory ammo (not my reloads), we were blowing primers. For the rounds that didnt, had very flat primers and significant bolt-type ejector swipes (again, not an ar-10 expert). I threw them in a wilson case gauge and they look way long. Maybe .010” + beyond max saami and noticeably longer than rounds that come from my match gun, or even my cheap savage. If it matters i can pull better measurements... Not sure if this is normal for ar platforms. I think if so it might explain the lost primers instead of pressure. But we were shooting factory hornady. With magnetospeed this ammo gave approx 2620fps mv, so nothing crazy.

Fired brass was weird. Lots of dimples on the shoulder of fired brass. Not initially, but after maybe 20 rounds brass coming out of the gun looked mangled in the shoulder. Remained across different loads. I thought maybe lubricant in the chamber or maybe dirt until I borescoped it. I will borescope again after I clean the rifle, but this seems excessive, crazily so for 100 rounds total.

what seems extra weird to me is that the grooves of the rifling extend into the throat, and the shoulder looks like hammered dogshit. This is a new barrel with less than a hundred rounds total fired.

Is this normal? I am gonna clean and rescope, but I am worried that the grooves in the throat might be allowing gas/carbon directly into the shoulder area of the case causing rapid heavy fouling right at the shoulder.

I have still not ruled out user error either. But 2 moa seems excessive, especially with two experienced shooters behind the gun, across multiple loads, swapping between quality scopes, and retorquing everything to spec. Shot from prone with a rear bag and bipod in good conditions. Should be moa or slightly better all day long. Absent advice otherwise I am leaning towards an issue with the weapon. Either the barrel-action connection, or a defect in the chamber/barrel (most likely imho). Still possible we had a few shit rounds that fouled the chamber, or that we screwed something else up, but I am skeptical. just dont have a warm fuzzy that this is how things should be.

please help…

Attachments

• IMG_1090.jpeg
    IMG_1090.jpeg
    204.2 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1095.png
    IMG_1095.png
    2 MB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1083.jpeg
    IMG_1083.jpeg
    205.1 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_1085.jpeg
    IMG_1085.jpeg
    181.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    164.9 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_1086.jpeg
    IMG_1086.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1091.jpeg
    IMG_1091.jpeg
    201.1 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
So a quick follow up. Attached are a couple photos after cleaning the rifle. The rifling clearly extends in places all the way down the throat to the neck of the chamber.

I dont have the tools to measure, but my guess is the chamber is not concentric to the bore, and the grooves are allowing gas back to the shoulder area.

Is this normal? I have never seen it before, and it is not present on my other rifles, but I am not experienced with a borescope either.

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpeg
    IMG_1119.jpeg
    228.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1112.jpeg
    IMG_1112.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1116.jpeg
    IMG_1116.jpeg
    211.3 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_1109.jpeg
    IMG_1109.jpeg
    201.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1110.jpeg
    IMG_1110.jpeg
    219 KB · Views: 48
Well, you've found one of your problems.

Contact LaRue, and let them correct the bad barrel.

DO NOT fire that rifle / barrel again.

Reactions: msgriff and BCP
Those grooves are in the throat, not the barrel of the chamber. And they are irregular… only on one side, an extension of the rifling. The wider area of the chamber seems normal enough.

Reactions: bfoosh006
Did you check headspace?

The grooves in the chamber supposed to be there. It’s some kind of Larue extraction aid like the grooves in an HK.

No, but spent rounds are noticeably over the top of my case gauge. I dont have a go/no go gauges.

I'd call larue up and explain the situation. It likely needs a new bolt to headspace properly or the barrel is bad, or both. That much growth in the cases there's probably a line at the base or middle of the casing where it's going to separate.

LaRue uses fluted chambers to help with extraction like an Hk roller-locked weapon.

Was this an Ultimate Upper build, or a factory complete rifle/upper?

The funniest aspect about this whole ordeal is all of us who've been done dirty by Larue already know what thier reply will be when the OP calls them up and asked, how in the actual fuck did this leave your shop!?

"I'm sorry Sir we can't divulge any information regarding our barrels because they are highly proprietary, we see no cause for concern with the pictures you have submitted. And to show our level of dedication for our customer's satisfaction we went the extra mile and forged, found the Proof Target matching your rifle showing that accuracy is in acceptable standards."

Thanks.

Team LaRue

Last edited:
Reactions: BCP
Here is a link to the patent on the LaRue barrel. There's a lot to unpack, but it may explain a few things;

Reactions: TheOE800
Here is a link to the patent on the LaRue barrel. There's a lot to unpack, but it may explain a few things;

Thanks. I am tracking and this problem is different. My OBR has xtraction chamber and the fluting is not (and should not be) present in the throat.

My buddy is gonna call Larue. I will pass along their response

Reactions: bfoosh006
Thanks. I am tracking and this problem is different. My OBR has xtraction chamber and the fluting is not (and should not be) present in the throat.

My buddy is gonna call Larue. I will pass along their response
Whatever happened to this? I am looking to get a Larue 6.5 CM complete upper around Black Friday.