• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Larue Upper Kits

houndog

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2005
Posting this as a follow up to a recent thread about Larue's being offered in 6.5 Grendel. For those that have always wanted a Larue they have a great deal going on now. They are selling an upper kit (which is basically everything but a stripped lower receiver) for a very good price. You can order in .223 or 6.5 Grendel.

And, they have just announced that they are doing something similar for their large frame rifles. You can buy an upper (again everything but the lower receiver) in 7.62 or 6.5 Creedmore for an extremely attractive price. For those that live in states where suppressors are legal, you can even throw in a Larue suppressor for about 1/2 what they normally go for.

Finally, they have announced that at some point they are going to sell Larue receivers (at least to those people who buy the kits) - although with the large frame rifle you can also buy an upper kit that will mate with a DPMS gen 1 lower.

P.S. Hope it's ok to post this - I have zero affiliation with Larue other than owning an upper and having just ordered a 7.62 kit.

Any source on where they have promised to sell the lowers to kit owners? I didn't see it on their site.

Any source on where they have promised to sell the lowers to kit owners? I didn't see it on their site.

Mark has said that on the AR15.com discussion.

I got one of the small caliber uppers. I have a number of LaRue rifles, but I am disappointed with the cosmetic fitment of the new uppers (lots of hard angles) with the lowers (which has more soft curves). This in no ways affects the function of the rifle, but when you think LaRue, you are drawn to the rifles both for their accuracy and solid build as well as a great design. I think Mark rushed this Stealth 2.0 to market without a real thought to how to mate to a lower. Maybe he has a new lower design ?

A new lower design is my guess as well. While I'm sure there were economic drivers for offering the package I think there is little chance that he will sell for $800 plus lower receiver what he's been selling for $2200+. My guess is the Stealth 2.0 package will represent an entry level LaRue line, so that it won't weaken the premiere line. I don't own any of his complete rifles so I can't compare.

Still stoked about my LaRue 6.5 Grendel though. Will buy the lower when it comes out.

Don't pretend to have any insight into Larue's marketing strategy. However, looking at his large frame deal, I think there are a few differences between his OBR/Predator AR and what he's offering in this deal. But you're still getting a Larue barrel, a Larue chrome bolt carrier and bolt, MBT trigger, Larue stock, etc. I opted to get one that's compatible with DPMS receiver, rather than a Larue receiver. I can eventually pick up an Aero lower for less than $200. Who knows what Larue will charge for a Larue receiver. And yes, while it would be nice to have an all Larue gun, I currently can't buy a new receiver and I fear that Mark will only make Larue receivers available for limited period of time.

Yes, 6.5 cm is one of the options.:) I was definitely tempted to go this route, rather than .308. It's just that I don't reload so cost of ammo is a consideration. Also don't think I'll be doing much shooting out beyond 600 yards, so the better ballistics of 6.5 not as big a factor for me. . Finally, I read somewhere that semi-auto's in 6.5 cm were having feeding issues, but have not done any follow up research on this, so I don't really know if this is an isolated problem one person was having or a wider issue.

Mark has said that on the AR15.com discussion.

I got one of the small caliber uppers. I have a number of LaRue rifles, but I am disappointed with the cosmetic fitment of the new uppers (lots of hard angles) with the lowers (which has more soft curves). This in no ways affects the function of the rifle, but when you think LaRue, you are drawn to the rifles both for their accuracy and solid build as well as a great design. I think Mark rushed this Stealth 2.0 to market without a real thought to how to mate to a lower. Maybe he has a new lower design ?

The PredatOBR has been this way and no one seemed to ever have an issue with it, don't know why it is a problem now. The upper receiver has non-essential material removed that saves weight. The only way you could get a new design lower to match the lines is to remove material from the buffer tube extension, weakening the extension. It's the perfect match for me, function over form. Nowadays there are x100 lower receivers available, if it was kosher to remove that much material there someone probably would have done it by now, a la A1 design.

The PredatOBR has been this way and no one seemed to ever have an issue with it, don't know why it is a problem now. The upper receiver has non-essential material removed that saves weight. The only way you could get a new design lower to match the lines is to remove material from the buffer tube extension, weakening the extension. It's the perfect match for me, function over form. Nowadays there are x100 lower receivers available, if it was kosher to remove that much material there someone probably would have done it by now, a la A1 design.

That's the problem though the amount of weight he saved by shaving off .030 on the upper receiver is insignificant, by adding a Ambi charging handle and safety it puts the weight up back to what it was if he'd just left it alone.. it's honestly just poor planning and Design IMO, that's just one of the many reasons why I like the original OBR over everything else. The handguard on the tOBR feels like shit if you don't have those little plastic plates on.

Furthermore the added mechanical parts for the quick detach handguard for the tOBR is just something else to worry about vs just taking out four screws and sliding the handguard off the OBR, basically IMO the only Advantage his rifles have over the competition is that the barrel is 100% free floating nothing touches it or the barrel nut.

The the OBR with its integrated 20 MOA Monolithic top rail and free-floating handguard design makes for one hell of a Rugged Battle rifle. If the KAC SR25 hand that design along with its ambidextrous controls and Krieger Barrel it would be the ultimate rifle.

The PredatOBR has been this way and no one seemed to ever have an issue with it, don't know why it is a problem now.

You are 100% correct, and in the 5.56, I think that is also a flawed design. I have the 7.62, and it mates much better.

Look, there are two facts out there: 1) Mark makes a very good gas gun, and; 2) his sales are down, just like every other gun manufacturer in 2017. He is working his base and creating buzz. I have seen him working the fan base like he has not in 5 or 6 years. The GFYS attitude is gone (no, that is not a new SMOS lower), and he is working up the frenzy to buy this, and then buy that. He has a great skill at keeping the base happy, and buying more. I am seeing more listening than I have ever seen from ML, and whilst he has agreed to sell lowers to the build-me crowd, and now to the kit crew, what we don't know, and what I suspect, is that we will see a new 5.56 lower that actually aethetically matches his Stealth 2.0 -- which, I think is a great engineering idea, but so far a shitty design to the eye, and I am saying he will fix that.

So I found this older tread in a search...

I’ve picked up the 6.5CM UU kit to put on my 7.62 OBR lower. Turns out there is alot of play between the new upper and the older lower.

So I found this older tread in a search...

I’ve picked up the 6.5CM UU kit to put on my 7.62 OBR lower. Turns out there is alot of play between the new upper and the older lower.

Stop Shitting the Bed, and just rebarrel that OBR in 6.5 CM , and send that UU crap bat to LaRue... Honest advice here dude.

Reactions: JeffLebowski