• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LaRue308 vs POF308

IslandTime

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2012
The Island
I am getting ready to purchase a semi-auto .308 and am trying to decide between the LaRue308 and POF308. Does anyone have recent experience with these rifles? I have heard nothing but positive comments on the LaRue. The piston system on the POF308 is attractive, but some older comments form 2 - 3 years ago seem to indicate quality issues. Any recent information appreciated in helping to select the right 308.

Re: LaRue308 vs POF308

The "quality" items from a few years back are no longer an issue. Customer service is great from POF when I dealt with them.

I have a POF p308 with a 20" barrel and a GAP10 in 6 Creedmoor.

GA Precision's GAP10 platform is mostly POF parts, with a custom barrel (Bartlein) and a DI gas system of your choice and some of George's magic pixie dust.

Something to remember, most folks who haven't shot a semi auto .308 find that it takes a bit of practice time to obtain the same type of accuracy that they get from their bolt rifles. Most of the time it's the shooter not the rifle. It will take a little bit of practice on the fundamentals of marksmanship to consistently drive a gas gun in .308 well. The AR15 platform doesn't quite give you the same shooting experience as the larger cartridge platform - it's a little more forgiving due to weight of the moving parts and less recoil.

Either choice (OBR or POF) will serve you well and will shoot. It comes down to preference and features.

I went POF because it would work with a GAP upper if I purchased one.

POF by a mile because:

A.) A simplified and effective gas piston system.

B.) Mark Larue is a douche bag.

C.) Better, repeatable accuracy than the OBR.

D.) Mark Larue is a douche canoe.

E.) POF has addressed the quality issues and now manufactures their own rifles.

F.) Mark Larue is a douche nozzle

G.) All the above

Douche baggery aside...

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EtgdZ8jhhdA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EtgdZ8jhhdA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Good luck

POF. LaRue makes good stuff, but I dont see how its THAT great over whats already out.

OBR. shoot one and you'll know why....

There is a head to head review of these 2 rifles on another thread on this site going on rat now. It's by alpha, check it out

Island, I have both. I will actually sell you my POF in excellent condition low round count right now if you want it. Not to say that the POF is a POS. It has never failed to feed or extract and I rate that high on the list. Both guns shoot about as accurate which is to say about .5-.75 moa. The OBR is a PITA to find and commands a premium. POF is piston and of course miles easier to clean. Larue has a giessele trigger. POF came with a timney from the factory that is definitely not a giessele but I would replace with a giessele if I were to keep the POF. Larue saved some money by putting that fag queer green colored stock and pistol grip on the OBR. The OBR deserves a black PRS stock and is getting one. PM me if you are interested in my POF.

If you decide to go with Larue, I would recommend getting an 18" or 20". I have a 16" and it's not that great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to go with Larue, I would recommend getting an 18" or 20". I have a 16" and it's not that great. </div></div>

Care to elaborate? I have a 16" and it is fantastic, not sure what difference you're expecting from the 18" or 20" models.

+1. ^^^ I have a 16" OBR that hammers MOA steel to 700yds.

I'm certainly not a fanboy, just happy with the product. With any 16" 308 gas gun, the shooter must do their part at distances beyond 500 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: IslandTime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I take it you are happy with the POF bdcmh? What trigger are you operating? </div></div>

JP right now but not really happy with it. It will go in favor of a Geissele

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Commander Shepard</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you decide to go with Larue, I would recommend getting an 18" or 20". I have a 16" and it's not that great. </div></div>

Care to elaborate? I have a 16" and it is fantastic, not sure what difference you're expecting from the 18" or 20" models. </div></div>

I have a new rifle that I have owned for a month and a half. It pierces primers with ammo that I feed it, it breaks the polymer tips off of A-max bullets, Ejected brass hits the receiver before hitting the deflector. LT won't sell individually the parts that are in the field repair kit, so they tell you to use DPMS parts. If I wanted a DPMS, I would have purchased one.

I think having a longer gas system of a 18" or 20" should help with ejection issues, and help with recoil.

On the plus side, Dillo Dust is pretty good.

I don't want to derail the thread anymore.

currently attended M&M's tactical shoot up in South Dakota. I took my OBR out to 1245 m and achieved 3 consecutive hits. The gun flat out shoots.

There seems to be a company called Hogan Guns in AZ. Looks very similar to the POF. Someone on another thread was suggesting POF gets there rifle from Hogan. I had never heard of Hogan until reading the thread.

Thank you K4C, ROUS and DT1 for the further input as well!

Use the search function to learn more about Hogan / POF, the lawsuit, the circumstances, and the verdict.

Good luck

Thank you MoZamBeek. That made for interesting reading. Still not clear. The comments on the patent don't tell you much. If one company applied for a patent and the other did not, It is possible the patent examiner, who are all overloaded, could grant a patent and not know about the other company having created the "invention." While not applicable in this situation, there are cases where similar patents for an invention have been granted. These situations can end up in law suits where the companies need to try and show evidence that they had created the invention first. So having a patent in your name may or may not mean much in the end. Often the big winner is the lawyers in these cases. It can easily cost a cool million to defend a patent if it gets to that point. The sadest part in this case is the "good guy" will get hurt as potential customers shy away from all the bad press. Thanks again for mentioning the link sir!

I have shot the POF quite a bit and I own an OBR. IMO, for what it's worth, I much prefer the OBR. I have a 16" and it will do anything you could reasonably expect a .308 to do.

I am nowhere the shot a lot of people here are as I am just 2 years into long range shooting but I consistently hit steel (OK, bigger size steel) at 700 yds and was rocking the head on the excellent Big Dog Steel reactive target (that IIRC was a snipershide collaboration) at 500 with 175 FGMM.

The POF ran well but I thought the LT was as perfectly built a .308 gas gun as I have ever seen and I shot better with it.

Sorry to see that some here have appearantly had bad personal dealings with Mark. In the spirit of full disclosure, I consider him a friend and he has treated me nothing short of awesome in all of our dealings.

Good luck with your choice.

One thing is clear, just about all suggested the giessele trigger. Would you recommend a giessele match trigger or the giessele DMR trigger??

I bought a used POF recently on the hide. First time I took it out it had issues. I called Frank, the owner of POF, after getting advice from Scottmilk9,and he took the time to discuss the issue and had me send the rifle in . The rifle is out of warranty and, by all rights, he could've told me to climb a weed, but he didn't . I've been a loyal POF owner for years and I've never needed any repair on their weapons. Nice to know customer service still means something to some companies. I'm now even more loyal to the POF brand.

I have owned both. Had 2 POFs and now have the OBR.
My first POF had a couple minor issues, had to send it to POF twice. Both times they actually paid shipping, and I had the rifle back inside of a week. After the second time the rifle was flawless. CS from POF was nothing but positive and professional.
Both POFs shot consistently MOA and under.
I got an itch to buy an OBR, and received this one (16") a couple months ago. It has been flawless, though I only have about 100 rounds through it. Accuracy has been identical to my prior POFs.
If money is an issue you will have an easier time finding a good deal on a used POF than an OBR. If money is not an issue I would say choose whichever you like more after handling both.

I have a JP in my 223 and factory Hogan in my Hogan/POF 308.

Both are good and single stage I don't care for 2 stage. If you know how to setup a JP they are Awsome triggers if I was to change one out for a different trigger I'd try a Wilson combat single stage.

Read the entire thread. Want all of you to know I have appreciated the input. thanks Island for asking the question as i strongly considered the OBR. I chose the POF due to the barrel life and wanted a piston gun as i already have a gas 5.56 i built from scratch with a stainless 16" Sabre Defense Industies barrel that i literally can consistantly shoot into the same hole most every time out to 100 using an ACOG. great barrel. too bad they screwed themselves and 4 of them went to prison over it as they were located in my town(nashville). THe POF shoots very well. Yes it takes a bit to get used to as the other guy stated. I have under 100 rounds and am getting MOA easily. I reload 168 Sierra BTHP and it shoots them very very well. Am dying to get it out long range but do not know a long range group around here yet. I also liked the Hunter rail as I can get my 50 lens closer to the barrel with a sun shade when necessary. I am sure you will enjoy either gun. Enjoy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powdermeasure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read the entire thread. Want all of you to know I have appreciated the input. thanks Island for asking the question as i strongly considered the OBR. I chose the POF due to the barrel life and wanted a piston gun as i already have a gas 5.56 i built from scratch with a <span style="font-weight: bold">stainless 16" Sabre Defense Industies barrel that i literally can consistantly shoot into the same hole most every time out to 100 using an ACOG.</span> great barrel. too bad they screwed themselves and 4 of them went to prison over it as they were located in my town(nashville). THe POF shoots very well. Yes it takes a bit to get used to as the other guy stated. I have under 100 rounds and am getting MOA easily. I reload 168 Sierra BTHP and it shoots them very very well. Am dying to get it out long range but do not know a long range group around here yet. I also liked the Hunter rail as I can get my 50 lens closer to the barrel with a sun shade when necessary. I am sure you will enjoy either gun. Enjoy! </div></div>

See my highlighted quote.....this test should net you a number one spot if you can do as you say you can

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3523625&gonew=1#UNREAD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: R.O.U.S.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I have a new rifle that I have owned for a month and a half. It pierces primers with ammo that I feed it, it breaks the polymer tips off of A-max bullets, Ejected brass hits the receiver before hitting the deflector. LT won't sell individually the parts that are in the field repair kit, so they tell you to use DPMS parts. If I wanted a DPMS, I would have purchased one.
</div></div>

Send it back they have a warranty for a reason.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: powdermeasure</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Read the entire thread. Want all of you to know I have appreciated the input. thanks Island for asking the question as i strongly considered the OBR. I chose the POF due to the barrel life and wanted a piston gun as i already have a gas 5.56 i built from scratch with a <span style="font-weight: bold">stainless 16" Sabre Defense Industies barrel that i literally can consistantly shoot into the same hole most every time out to 100 using an ACOG.</span> great barrel. too bad they screwed themselves and 4 of them went to prison over it as they were located in my town(nashville). THe POF shoots very well. Yes it takes a bit to get used to as the other guy stated. I have under 100 rounds and am getting MOA easily. I reload 168 Sierra BTHP and it shoots them very very well. Am dying to get it out long range but do not know a long range group around here yet. I also liked the Hunter rail as I can get my 50 lens closer to the barrel with a sun shade when necessary. I am sure you will enjoy either gun. Enjoy! </div></div>

See my highlighted quote.....this test should net you a number one spot if you can do as you say you can

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3523625&gonew=1#UNREAD </div></div>

yeah, that is a rather big statement for a 4x or whatever acog @ 100yards... run the shootout and see how you do. Would think it would be rather hard for a non-bull barrel / non-scoped rifle, but then you never know..... you could be one hell of a shooter! Would love to see you put in an entry. <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="text-decoration: underline">Could really use a POF </span></span>on the leader boards. Would love to see ya run it powdermeasure: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=3523625#Post3523625

Shooting into the same bullet hole at 100yards is damn hard stuff. Trust me, I've tried many times, but for some reason I always fail on the 5th bullet! damn those friggen fliers! Can't say I can do it over and over tho. Working on it!
308BRASS37GNBENCHMARK175GRNSMKHPBT.jpg

Elfster, don't you know? Nobody has to prove anything they say on the Internet.

THis is great. You people on here actually read the post! Glad to know! Yes, "once in a while" is more like it! I did do it about 2 weeks ago and have the target hanging up in my reload room!(3 shot group) I will certainly try again. Just to be clear, this was with my stainless 16" 5.56 shooting 69 Sierra BTHP bullets using TAC powder in case anyone cares. I built this M4 from ground up. I forgot my exact load as I have been loading 7.62x51's and 30-06. I would really like to get into a contest with my new POF. I haven't reached my "break in" on it yet(400 rounds) and I need a "sweeter" trigger. Any sugggestions? Maybe a G or T? or Wilson?

Shoot six five round groups. Follow the rules and be at the top. It really is much harder than people think. Im looking forward to gettin a .308 semi to try it soon. As of right now, all my gas guns wear irons or a RDS.

Island, if price and availability is considered, POF won. Mine has no issues. Now you can buy mine.

Made an adjustment. Replaced Tactical trigger that came in my POF 308 with the Geissele 2 stage trigger. Called POF and all I had to do was send them the trig that came in the gun for an even trade. VERY GOOD SERVICE FROM POF. Had it within a week and Whoa what a difference. Hope to find my sweet spot to enter it into the contest.