• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Las Vegas area, looking for 1300yards +

Tmm01

Private
Minuteman
Jan 7, 2018
I have been trying to locate an area around the Vegas area that allows me to reach out beyond 1000-1200yards. I have spent a bunch of time on google earth trying to find an area that meets my criteria, with no luck. I know when people have their "secret" spot they hate to give up that info, but I am desperate. I have been looking at building a 300PRC but if I can't find an area to stretch it out, I won't follow through with the build. Long range shooting is a nasty habit, the farther you go the farther you want to go.

@Jeffvn may be able to help, or may choose to keep his spot (s) a secret. As you mentioned many of us are secretive about our shooting spots, because one bad apple/dipshit can spoil it for the whole bunch. You may want to check with the BLM or other Federal agencies for ownership, not sure about the state. Some of this you may be able to do online at the assesors website. Good Luck

Reactions: camotoe
Try south down by the dry lake bed to the east of the prison at Jean.
I know the area well, the area were the Score race guys stage is only good for about ~1150yards. Is there a longer range area I'm missing down there?

BLM is generally available for shooting in Nevada. Up north of Vegas, there is a bunch of BLM land inside the County that is specifically designated no shooting. Get caught shooting up there you'll regret it. I've had 2 different spots effectively destroyed for my use in ELR shooting by tools (at least one of whom was a site member here - at least 4 or 5 years ago) who wanted to "spray and pray" with ARs or AKs and his 3 or 4 buddies. They literally drove past me (less than 10 feet away) when I was already set up and ready to go hot on my silhouette target from 1,800 yards. They parked their frigg'n trucks maybe 30 - 40 yards to the left of my steel target and started their spraying and praying shit. Not overly happy with them to say the least. I moved my spot and now do keep it a closely guarded secret.

Lots of potential spots down south of Vegas that will get you to 1,300-1,500 yards, all the way to the communist border of California. If you want 2,500 plus you'll have a lot of leg work to do to find one. Do yourself a favor and look hard at the BLM maps.

Only a couple hard and fast no-no rules in BLM. You MUST (yeah this one gets a bit vague) stay on the roads, and can't cut new roads just because you want one on that spot. You can't shoot over a designated road, regardless how far above the road your pills are going to be flying. So looking at a map and gauging the distance saves you a metric ton of time in driving out to the site only to find out you can really only use 1,000 yards of a spot you thought was good to 2,500 yards. This rule bites you 99% of the time, since the area down south is covered with roads. Watch your background - more importantly your side routes. Lots of quads and dirt bikers flying around down there and they like coming over and looking at your targets ... they don't see you, since you are 1,800+ yards away... yelling at them to move their dumb asses away so you can shoot.

Jeffvn

Reactions: camotoe and DIBBS
I know the area well, the area were the Score race guys stage is only good for about ~1150yards. Is there a longer range area I'm missing down there?

I’ve driven to that spot but it was lined with porta-johns. I know I’ve looked over there and seen a lot of dirt being kicked up from some sort of races. Are you aware how we’d know if we are able to shoot there? I wasn’t comfortable setting up seeing all the stuff there, even though there was no one besides us to be found.

BLM is generally available for shooting in Nevada. Up north of Vegas, there is a bunch of BLM land inside the County that is specifically designated no shooting. Get caught shooting up there you'll regret it. I've had 2 different spots effectively destroyed for my use in ELR shooting by tools (at least one of whom was a site member here - at least 4 or 5 years ago) who wanted to "spray and pray" with ARs or AKs and his 3 or 4 buddies. They literally drove past me (less than 10 feet away) when I was already set up and ready to go hot on my silhouette target from 1,800 yards. They parked their frigg'n trucks maybe 30 - 40 yards to the left of my steel target and started their spraying and praying shit. Not overly happy with them to say the least. I moved my spot and now do keep it a closely guarded secret.

Lots of potential spots down south of Vegas that will get you to 1,300-1,500 yards, all the way to the communist border of California. If you want 2,500 plus you'll have a lot of leg work to do to find one. Do yourself a favor and look hard at the BLM maps.

Only a couple hard and fast no-no rules in BLM. You MUST (yeah this one gets a bit vague) stay on the roads, and can't cut new roads just because you want one on that spot. You can't shoot over a designated road, regardless how far above the road your pills are going to be flying. So looking at a map and gauging the distance saves you a metric ton of time in driving out to the site only to find out you can really only use 1,000 yards of a spot you thought was good to 2,500 yards. This rule bites you 99% of the time, since the area down south is covered with roads. Watch your background - more importantly your side routes. Lots of quads and dirt bikers flying around down there and they like coming over and looking at your targets ... they don't see you, since you are 1,800+ yards away... yelling at them to move their dumb asses away so you can shoot.

Jeffvn
Damn! What's with all the shut down wide open spaces in Nevada? I was under the understanding that from U.S. 95 east to the border is open as long as you aren't shooting with someone's place downrange.

On the roads, the road has to be a municipally maintained road, i.e. county or even property association. Busting you for shooting over a two track is something they'd like to do, but can't enforce. Then again, who wants to spend the money to fight something in court.:mad:

Damn! What's with all the shut down wide open spaces in Nevada? I was under the understanding that from U.S. 95 east to the border is open as long as you aren't shooting with someone's place downrange.

On the roads, the road has to be a municipally maintained road, i.e. county or even property association. Busting you for shooting over a two track is something they'd like to do, but can't enforce. Then again, who wants to spend the money to fight something in court.:mad:

Sure but then you got wherever you are shooting from by going off a road lol.

-Alex

Sure but then you got wherever you are shooting from by going off a road lol.

-Alex
So, now they are blocking you from going up old two tracks? Holy shit! Nothing like Vegas to turn into part of California. I'm from northern Nevada BTW. As of yet we don't have to deal with that bullshit when I get to go out there. And, no, the rest of the state doesn't like Las Vegas.

Last edited:
I'm not saying every rutted track is closed off, but they have a bunch of the rutted tracks that have the brown identifying signs on them down south of Vegas in and around Prim. Those are roads, at least from my reading of the BLM rules. Plus, someone is periodically putting gravel in there and smoothing it out - All indicators of a road. Just saying if you go out you need to be careful where you go and what you are shooting at and over.

Jeffvn

Reactions: DIBBS