• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser boresighter Bull Shizzle??

xs hedspace

hippie redneck geezer
Minuteman
Jan 19, 2005
Bearsville, NY
Bought a Bushnell boresighter, and had it in a .22 barrel in the vise in my shop. Just for kicks, I decided to check it by rotating the laser in the bore, and watching the dot 30 ft away on the wall. Holy crap! The dot was going around in a 4" circle! Double checked the fit in the barrel, crown, etc. Still makes a circle. So I decided to call Bushnell Tech support, and see if the 4 allen screws will recenter the laser. "Oh that's the way it's supposed to be. You rotate the laser to the lowest point, and adjust your scope, so now you have an elevation for 100 yards." WTF?? I reread the directions that came with it, and noooo, the dot is supposed to point at the bore center, and you have to account for the scope height, etc, to get on target. Has anybody screwed with these allen screws, to adjust the laser on these? I'm thinking I'm just going to send the thing back to Bushnell, and pay the damn $10 shipping. Tech support by retired politician, maybe??

Never used one myself, I did on the otherhand watch a grown man throw a fit trying to "zero" his rifle using one. I kindly explained he will probably need to sling some lead downrange if he wants to hit anywhere near the bull. Send it back and dont waste your money on a new one.

If you rotate it and it makes a ring of light, 4" diameter, note the center of that circle.

Bore sighters would be convenient, but use a 1" fluorescent pink dot at 100 yards, center it looking through the bore, then mount the scope. First shot has always been on paper. Then zero.