• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser cut foam source for Pelican Rifle Case

Baron23

Check 6
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 19, 2020
    Maryland
    HI guys - I have one case that I got from a fella where the foam was cut by, I believe, US Case in N.C.

But, I'm thinking about using Cobra Foam to make a custom foam layer for a another rifle case.

Cobra will accept a picture of the items on graph paper and cut from that which I like.

But I thought to ask the community what custom cut foam sources you may have used and would recommend?

Also, any lessons learned in having custom cut foam that you can tell me about?

Thank you.

Reactions: TXAZ
    i have not had custom cutting done, but 60 bucks seems pretty reasonable.
    i buy sheets of foam and cut my own, although i have gotten the foam precut to fit the case.
    it isn't hard to do it yourself if you have the right knife. i got a marker from this place. you can find the utility knife at home depot.

Why not cut your own with a sharpie and an electric knife?
    20200302_113817.jpg

i have not had custom cutting done, but 60 bucks seems pretty reasonable.
    i buy sheets of foam and cut my own, although i have gotten the foam precut to fit the case.
    it isn't hard to do it yourself if you have the right knife. i got a marker from this place. you can find the utility knife at home depot.

Thanks...I have a brand new electric carving knife which seems to be the preferred tool to cut this foam.

But I really would like good clean custom cut job, I believe.

@N8schmitz did a nice job, but this is more what I'm looking for. This is my 6.5 CM but this case (and this was the N.C. guys) is not something I would ever put in a baggage handler's mitts.

IMG_0691.jpg

Thanks for responding

I have used two places here in CA but I need to dig up the addresses. Here is a place to check out in the meantime.

Here is the case I picked up over in LA and they custom cut foam. Let me look for their info.
    0E220B22-CC93-4BF7-9963-BD830F92063D.jpeg

Last edited:
    I have used two places here in CA but I need to dig up the addresses. Here is a place to check out in the meantim.

Thank you, I looked at their site and not sure I want to use their app. I rather like that I can send a pic into Cobra or something similar.

If you find the guys you used before, I would be grateful if you posted them and if your experience was good, etc.

Cheers

Here is the place I used in Temecula (now in Lake Elsinore) and they did a good job.

I will update this post when I get the other address.

I believe this was the other place (where I got the case in the pic above).

Last edited:
    Here is the place I used in Temecula (now in Lake Elsinore) and they did a good job.

I will update this post when I get the other address.

I believe this was the other place (where I got the case in the pic above).

Thanks!! Yes, I’ve been emailing a bit w Cobra Foam and their process sounds like it suits my purpose.

Heck of a case there in your pic.

So, I gather you were happy w Cobra’s product and process?

I had no complaints other than driving all the way to Sylmar to pick up the case. I could of shipped it but I had a day to burn so I drove in. Damn traffic is a PITA.

I went with Cobra Foam. Their website has very clear instructions for ordering and the process was straight forward.

Also, I reached out to them via email and they answered all of my questions fully and very quickly and they provided a set of links to line items I needed to order.

I just needed the two piece as I have lid foam, they provided the link to the 1750 as they have a LOT of different foam types listed, and they suggested gluing the top piece of bottom foam to the bottom piece to aid longevity and rigidity.

You place the order, they send you a confirmation email, you reply to the email with details of your project (whatever you want to tell them), and attach your pics to the reply.

They have instructions on their site for needed pics as well as a YouTube vid on the same subject.

Below are the pics I took. I looked on Amazon for rolls of graph paper as I thought (and they rather confirmed) that this would give them good dimensional info. But all of the reviews of it said that the grid is not precise and accumulates error with distance. So, I ordered from another source (and educational/school supplies vendor) and SOB, its grids were shit also. So, I drew the outline of bottom foam on the graph paper, annoted it with dimensions, included a tape measure in the pics, and Cobra asked for OAL of the rifle as apparently with one good dimension they can extrapolate the rest.

In my reply, I did tell them that if they had any suggestions on layout based on their experience, just let me know as I'm more than open to their input.

These are the pics

OAL.jpg

front.jpg

Back.jpg

Vortex Viper Turret Width.jpg

I'll update in a few weeks when I have the foam and can confirm the quality of the job they did.

Cheers

Bummer to hear that the grid paper wasn't accurate.

Did you have to give them multiple rifle width points beyond the ~3.5" you showed in the picture where you measured the scope from knob to knob? Or will they simply cut the foam down to a depth of 3.5" for the whole rifle/scope section?

Looking forward to the updates on how it turns out.

Did you have to give them multiple rifle width points beyond the ~3.5" you showed in the picture where you measured the scope from knob to knob? Or will they simply cut the foam down to a depth of 3.5" for the whole rifle/scope section?

None that I can find is accurate. I’m sure their is some sort of professional drafting paper that is, but for easily available and affordable it appears not.

and no, the outside width across the turrets was by far the biggest dimension. Everything else should fit in cuts to the top layer only.

mod course if they feel they need that info, I will surely send it.

cheers

Following, I’d love to see how your work from cobra turns out. I’ve got two rifle cases as well as a case for tools that I need some custom foam for.

Reactions: Baron23

Ah, just noticed I missed something in your inquiry.

Pelican 1750 has two layers of foam totally 3.5”. Iabsolutely do not expect them to cut 3.5” in to them as this would be to the hard case shell. I expect they will either say leave it cut thru the top layer only and rely on some compression on the turrets (not really a bad thing) or just maybe cut 3/4”or thereabouts into the bottom layer but def not all the way thru at 3.5”.