• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Laser Defense MFG Laser Aiming Designator?

Tangodown911

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2008
West metro Atlanta, GA
Looking for some advice from the PROs on IR aiming lasers, IR illuminators and so forth. The laser defense mfg TLAD has been referred to as a Chinese knock off of a BDAL-A2 so I have read. I tried to fo my research on these but the information/posts/reviews I found on these was over a year old and it seems that these are a newer generation. Has anyone any experience with the newer gen LDM TLADs?

Links
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=263801720

What should I expect with one of these units?

In short...Is this thing worth owning?

My application: I am running a Omni VII spec'ed 14(3rd gen pinnacle...of course). I am looking for maximum target ID to 250yards on small targets like coyotes. I would rather have a compact lightweight unit thus why the TLAD is appealing. If these companies would knock off the "Agency only" purchasing silliness then I would not have an issue now and I would have already purchased a DBAL-A3. But it is what it is. So please help out guys and offer your experiences.

Re: Laser Defense MFG Laser Aiming Designator?

its not the "companies" putting these policies in place to only sell to agencies....it's the GOV specifically the FDA. that said, i have no experience with the unit you have in question. if it were me and you want a solid IR laser to perform out to 250yd on game i would get a lasermax uni-IR. they are more than capable of that distance with a solid moa or so aiming point. i will tell you that 250yd or so with no mag on a 14 is tough for solid target ID. a 3x lens is almost a necessity in my experience or couple it up to a day optic.

KSE

Re: Laser Defense MFG Laser Aiming Designator?

Definitely do not play $600 for it. These are made for the airsoft market. While it 'MAY' be an excellent clone, it is way over priced. Now, it was 1/3 the price and had a great reputation, I would say give it a try. But at $600 with zero feedback, avoid it.

For $150 you can do a Beamshot 1000 IR conversion. Basically you remove the visible red laser diode and replace it with an IR diode. It is 100% legal as you are not buying a Class III IR laser. You are making it yourself which is not restricted.

There is also the various Class I IR lasers which are legal for sale to civilians. They start at $300 for the Lasermax Uni-IR version. I can see my LDI Dbal I2 out to 200 yards pretty easily, even with a bunch of ambient light (playing with it in the suburbs).