• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser dry fire training system?

paindoc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2008
Peoples Republic of Michigan
I am looking for some sort of laser dry fire training system to practice my dry fire on my AI 308. I have become a big believer that the majority of my training should be spent dry firing. However, I wonder if there are any type of systems that can document the "hit" on the target. Laser systems exist for pistols, but I haven't had much luck locating a really good system for my rifle.

I don't mind spending the bucks $$$ to get this, as it is a lot less expensive and better training to dry fire.

The mantra that was taught to me at Rifles Only was "dry fire to acquire the skills, live fire to confirm it"

Can anyone help with my search?

Thanks!!!

A cheap option would be the aperture someone created here so that you can focus in on close objects such as a plumb bob 15' away from you in the family room. I think an iPhone app was created for this as well. I have also seen an exspensive system which uses a boresighter if I'm not mistaken and can track your hit on some sort of electronic targeting system setup like a typical ringed target. You can also just point your rifle out the window and dry fire at small items such as leaves on a tree with the object being to still be on target where you started before you pulled the trigger. If you find something else please report it here as I'm sure you are not the only one bored of dry firing on leaves.

My simple, inexpensive method is to tape a laser pointer to the end of the barrel and tape the on switch on. I realize that the point of aim and point of laser "impact" are not at all accurate.

I then dry fire practice while looking through the scope by keeping the laser as still as possible while pulling the trigger. I also do rapid bolt manipulation ... mag changes... position changes, ect.

Andrew

Anschutz produces now a laser training rifle, named Laser Power, I think_ I've never investigated more, (more than 1000 euro,here),all I know is that's globe sight-equipped + electronic target stand_ (funny blue stock,by the way...)_

I just picked up the Laserlyte system. I've only used it for an hour to practice off hand so far, but initial impressions are good.

You'll need the 223 laser and 308 sleeve. I dremeled off the rim of the sleeve so that I could charge my ar without it ejecting.

The target records your shots and works up to 50yds away.

Overall, I expect the $200 investment should more than cover the cost of ammo practicing off hand and such. Not sure if the target will be accurate enough to practice prone due to the number of leds.

I asked a similar question to a few U.S. shooting team members at SHOT this year. They use a system called SCATT that I believe the Russians put together. It's use is now common among Olympians. The consensus it that it is very effective training. One of the U.S. team mused that one year he was unable to do much live fire practice because of where he lived that year and instead did SCATT. It was one of the best shooting years he ever had. In short, laser training can be very effective especially since it not only plots impact points but also before and after trigger movement. Of course, its of no help when it comes to managing recoil properly, reading wind, or ranging targets.

That's good to know.

For me I have much more opportunity to dry fire at home vs live fire.

I figure it can only help. At 1500 bucks for the deluxe OCAT system , these types if systems are cheap compared to ammo costs.

I have now setup the OCAT for laser dry fire but not tried it for live fire training yet.
The laser dry fire functionality is quite good. It tracks the 'bullet' hit with phenomenal accuracy. Useful for seeing the minute effects of breathing , natural point of aim and trigger pull. A must have for positional training.
Some of the weaknesses include a setup that is not intuitive. The software is a processor hog. It was recommended to me that I only needed the i3 chip core but I recommend at least the i5 or i7.
The included targets are not useful for precision rifle training. I have yet to try this system with traditional training targets.
Overall so far I give it a B-

What about the Laserlyte training system? It has a target that registers hits, and a laser (LED?) that gets inserted in the bore - unfortunately from the crown side - and sends a light impulse when the firing mechanism is triggered. System is about $200 if memory serves: $150 for the target, and $50 for the laser.

I love it, and my only concern is for the crown: the insert is aluminum, but still...

Anybody uses this Laserlyte, and would like to share their experience and how they protect the muzzle crown?

Mouse
NRA Life Member Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Last edited:
What about the Laserlyte training system? It has a target that registers hits, and a laser (LED?) that gets inserted in the bore - unfortunately from the crown side - and trend a lint impulse by the shock when the firing mechanism is triggered. System is about $200 if memory serves: $150 for the target, and $50 for the laser.

I love it, and my only concern is for the crown: the insert is aluminum, but still...

Anybody uses this Laserlyte, and would like to share their experience and how they protect the muzzle crown?

I bought the LaserLyte target and the 9mm cartridge when I was in Afghanistan. I was a medical fobbit and went about 7 months without any live fire of anything. I had some fun with the LaserLyte and my M9.

The system works really nicely for indoor practice. Two quibbles:

1) The laser target has very, very coarse hit resolution. The LEDs that mark hit location are about 3/4" to 1" apart ... depending on what you're shooting, and how far away you can put the laser target, that might not be good enough.

2) The first laser cartridge I had failed after less than 1000 shots. The switch the firing pin strikes got stuck. Customer service was perfect though - one email and they immediately shipped a replacement switch to me with a SASE enclosed to return the bad switch.

[MENTION=20542]gasdoc[/MENTION], yes you were using a better system - with a laser shaped like a cartridge and inserted in the chamber. That's the best.

Unfortunately, mine is shaped like a pencil and goes into the muzzle, from the crown side. This is my concern - small but scary chance of damaging the crown by this metal insert. I wonder what one could do to minimize this risk...

Mouse
NRA Life Member Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free