• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Laser range finder for hunting conditions

Hippy_Steve

Clownworld Research Corp LLC
Minuteman
May 4, 2018
Spokane, WA
Hey everyone,

My old range finder finally died (decade old leupold), so I'm on the market for a new one. I want to keep it light weight, compact, and reliably effective on nonreflective targets out to 700 yards. I'm not under pressure to get one for this season because I didn't draw, so I can be patient and wait for a deal. I don't think I'll need a Kilo 2000 for my uses, but maybe a used kilo 2000 is worth it. Maybe I can save some money and get a Kilo 1250 for half the price of a 2000, and still have an effective unit that covers all my needs. I don't know, what would you guys recommend? My budget is flexible, but I'm not going to spend a grand on a 2400abs.

Not sure where your budget cut off point is but I picked up the Cabelas version 2200LRH on sale for about $325 last winter. I have seen it on sale a couple times since then. As far as I could tell it was the same as the 2200MR but with a circle reticle vs the MIL reticle. It reliably hits to about 1000 yards. It was hit and miss at 1200 yards in the middle of a sunny day.

You might also look at the Nikon black 4k. I have had the opportunity to compare it side by side with models running over twice the cost and it really surprised me. Can get reliable ranges on trees at over 1500.

My Kilo2000 has been very accurate. I would grab the 2200. It has a smaller reticle compared to the 2000.

I would recommend the Nikon Black 4K. Its a bargain at its price point (399.95 at Midway right now with free shipping) and should meet your requirements. You can never have too much ranging power. Sunlight, sand, snow, wind (dust), fog, rain, target size and reflectivity all can significantly decrease ranging ability. My Leica 1600 would not reliably range Coyotes on snow in open field (or anything around them) beyond 300 yards. This is why, after many frustrating coyote hunting trips I dropped $1800 on a used Vectronix Terrapin.

I would also consider the SIG's, but I doubt they are better (at ranging or glass quality), and actually believe the Nikon might be a little better for a little/lot less.

Reactions: BrentMac
Not sure where your budget cut off point is but I picked up the Cabelas version 2200LRH on sale for about $325 last winter. I have seen it on sale a couple times since then. As far as I could tell it was the same as the 2200MR but with a circle reticle vs the MIL reticle. It reliably hits to about 1000 yards. It was hit and miss at 1200 yards in the middle of a sunny day.
Realistically, my hard budget ceiling is $400. I would very much like to spend less, but if i need to pay to play, I'll capitulate.

I would recommend the Nikon Black 4K. Its a bargain at its price point (399.95 at Midway right now with free shipping) and should meet your requirements. You can never have too much ranging power. Sunlight, sand, snow, wind (dust), fog, rain, target size and reflectivity all can significantly decrease ranging ability. My Leica 1600 would not reliably range Coyotes on snow in open field (or anything around them) beyond 300 yards. This is why, after many frustrating coyote hunting trips I dropped $1800 on a used Vectronix Terrapin.

I would also consider the SIG's, but I doubt they are better (at ranging or glass quality), and actually believe the Nikon might be a little better for a little/lot less.
I'll do some reading on the nikon, and that's helpful info concerning the limitations of the leica. I've read and heard rumors about the terrapin, but I can't swing the weight, size or price.

I have been using Nikon's first Gen VR rangefinder for 2 hunting season's now. Over 30 days in the field in all kinds of weather and I can make sure my bino's and 7iVR are the first 2 items in my backpack for any trip. They have functioned flawlessly in KS with snow blowing and windchill below zero, OK sleet and West TX goose/duck hunting to make sure we had a marked decoy at 45 yards for longest shots. I had a chance to play around with Nikon's MONARCH 3000 Stabilized at SHOT Show where I helped out at Nikon's booth and it is the real deal. I had the opportunity to take it outside and range some objects including a helicopter that flew by at 2000 yards that I was able to pan and watch the distances change. Pretty cool. Much faster than the 7iVR that I use and not much more $. If I'm looking for a hunting rangefinder, I'm buying the Nikon MONARCH 3000 Stabilized. The fact that it is under a Nikon Promo is just a bonus!

Reactions: clyancey
Hey everyone,

My old range finder finally died (decade old leupold), so I'm on the market for a new one. I want to keep it light weight, compact, and reliably effective on nonreflective targets out to 700 yards. I'm not under pressure to get one for this season because I didn't draw, so I can be patient and wait for a deal. I don't think I'll need a Kilo 2000 for my uses, but maybe a used kilo 2000 is worth it. Maybe I can save some money and get a Kilo 1250 for half the price of a 2000, and still have an effective unit that covers all my needs. I don't know, what would you guys recommend? My budget is flexible, but I'm not going to spend a grand on a 2400abs.

With the BDX rangefinders beginning to ship, you should see guys clearing out the non-BDX SIG rangefinders . For $200 I'd pick up the 1250

https://www.sportoptics.com/sig-sauer-kilo-rangefinders.aspx

Eurooptic still has the Leica CRF 2000-B on sale for $399 and that should be with free shipping. Great glass and electronics. I'm in Texas so we don't have the snow issue clyancey had. No issues getting reads on deer out to 400-500 depending on weather conditions. Hard to pass that deal up.

Last edited:
The Only LRF I'll buy (if something happens to the one I have now) is the G7 BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder. It works as advertised. I have the old one, (NO MIL Version).

I was thinking of getting a Terrapin until I went on a bear hunt. We were setting around the fire talking about range finders and I mentioned the Terrapin. The guide went into his ruck and pulled out the G7 and told me to play with it. I did, for the rest of the trip I ranged everything I could see.

Soon as I got home I ordered one. It was suppose to range to 2000 yards. I got it out of the packing, put in the batteries and stepped out in the yard and ranged a neighbors cow at 2700. Figured this was a goof, so I ranged more cows. It wasnt a goof. But in all honesty I would say it does range the advertised 2000 yards.

I've had others, they worked in the mountains but in the prairies they didnt. The G7 does, if you can see an antelope, you can range it.

The Ballistic program only words to 1400 yards. But it does work, You can input data for 5 different rounds. If you input the correct data, about a 1-2 seconds after you range the target the device gives you the corrections. (example, after ranging, it says I need to come up 9.5 MOA, I make the corrections. The G7 automatically takes in account for weather, altitude, angles, etc.

It also gives you the windage corrections needed at the nearest 5 mph wind speeds.

When hunting, I dont want to spot an elk, and do the math it takes to shoot it. I want to range, make the corrections given, and shoot.

Best $1500 I've spent on shooting. If something happens to it, I will go out and buy another one.

The Only LRF I'll buy (if something happens to the one I have now) is the G7 BR2 Ballistic Rangefinder. It works as advertised. I have the old one, (NO MIL Version).

I was thinking of getting a Terrapin until I went on a bear hunt. We were setting around the fire talking about range finders and I mentioned the Terrapin. The guide went into his ruck and pulled out the G7 and told me to play with it. I did, for the rest of the trip I ranged everything I could see.

Soon as I got home I ordered one. It was suppose to range to 2000 yards. I got it out of the packing, put in the batteries and stepped out in the yard and ranged a neighbors cow at 2700. Figured this was a goof, so I ranged more cows. It wasnt a goof. But in all honesty I would say it does range the advertised 2000 yards.

I've had others, they worked in the mountains but in the prairies they didnt. The G7 does, if you can see an antelope, you can range it.

The Ballistic program only words to 1400 yards. But it does work, You can input data for 5 different rounds. If you input the correct data, about a 1-2 seconds after you range the target the device gives you the corrections. (example, after ranging, it says I need to come up 9.5 MOA, I make the corrections. The G7 automatically takes in account for weather, altitude, angles, etc.

It also gives you the windage corrections needed at the nearest 5 mph wind speeds.

When hunting, I dont want to spot an elk, and do the math it takes to shoot it. I want to range, make the corrections given, and shoot.

Best $1500 I've spent on shooting. If something happens to it, I will go out and buy another one.
That sounds like a winner to me, but it's way out of my price range. I do like the idea of having a range finder that can ping animals from 2700, but I'll never take a poke at something bigger than a prairie dog from 500 yards away (because 500 yards is my current effective range). The farthest i've ever killed anything was a speed goat at 367 yards.

OP, i have a Leica Rangemaster CRF 1200 that i am trying to sell to free up funds for a Leica 2700 (or now possibly a G7). It's clean, has all the accessories, and works just as good as the day i purchased it. If interested, research it and drop me a PM.

If you use binoculars for hunting and want to eliminate a piece of equipment from what you normally carry then you might consider the Bushnell Fusion ARC binocular / range finder. Pretty good piece of equipment overall. I've seen them used for sale here and on other sites for $450-$500.

If you use binoculars for hunting and want to eliminate a piece of equipment from what you normally carry then you might consider the Bushnell Fusion ARC binocular / range finder. Pretty good piece of equipment overall. I've seen them used for sale here and on other sites for $450-$500.
I use a pair of Swarovski SLC 10x42mm. I appreciate the recommendation, but a pair of Bushnells would be a downgrade from what I have.

I need a range finder too and have read tons of articles / reviews. I`ll will take the Leica 1600.

I picked up an Athlon Midas 1200 for hunting purposes from CameralandNY. They had it on sale for $200. I have ranged non-reflective out to 800 with it. Have ranged reflective to almost 1500. Just giving you an option.

I’ve had a good experience with the Kilo2200. It was under $400 new and was a big upgrade to the Bushnell I was using previously.

Works great for bow hunting ranges to well past 1k and it’s really compact.

I just finished an archery mule deer hunt and I used my sig 2400. I use the terrapin and a kestrel for rifle hunting.

I hunt Montana antelope and mule deer. use Zeiss PRF 8 power monocular.
Its 4 years old, no ballistics but ranges out to about 1000 yards reliably. My budy has the same one and there within a yard of each other ranging the same animals. Was about $400 when I bought it. We don't shoot 1000 yards at animals, but we did take a mule deer at 550 yards. Been real reliable for us.

If $400 is your max I’d go Sig Kilo2200BDX without a doubt. I use mine nearly daily and consistently range animals past 1000 yards and steel targets past a mile. It handles ballistics out to 800 yards as well, if you have a Kestrel with Bluetooth it’ll pair to it and go however far you can range. Plus Sig’s customer service is incredible. I ran over mine with my pickup and found it a week later, told them what happened and they replaced it immediately. I was just calling to talk about differences between the BDX and the ABS so I could buy a new one.