• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

laser range finder research

Sharp Shooter

Private
Minuteman
Jun 4, 2008
Ohio
Guys,

I was doing some research. I want to purchase a high quality laser range finder that I can range 2000 yards in all conditions. Do you have any recomendations? One sight i found was www.vectronix.com any one have one of there rangefinders or ever use one? I called them today and they said the wait time was 4 weeks. Do you have any other recomendations I might look at?

Re: laser range finder research

The only thing on the civilian market I know of that does those distances well is the swaroski unit.

The unit you are talking about is very costly, but it will do the job well from what I've been told. I'm probably going to pick one up eventually, just got to finish rounding up the money.

There is a great deal of popularity for the Newcon units on this forum; I've yet to see a post that rates the Swaros above the Newcons. Some users of the 2000 yard Bino/RF unit swear by them out to 2000 meters and beyond. I'm seriously considering spring for a set myself.

I have a newcon 3000. It works well but i cant always range anything I want. I noticed it worked a lot better out west while i was hunting than back east. I feel like I can range anything I want out to 1400 yards in the east out west it worked great out to 2200 yards. Instant fast readings accurate. I am looking for the same preformance out to 2000 yards in any condition. If I can see it I want to be able to range it. I dont want to wory about the bright sunlight or something that is nonreflective. If i see an elk or a tree I want to be able to get a range. I just want something that works every time. About a year ago I was elk hunting in New Mexico and spotted an elk at what I thought was 700yards. I had my guide range it with my newcon 3000 the first reading read 850 the second reading was 543 the third was 657 the 4th was 800. I realized right then something was wrong. I told Val my guide to give me the range finder. I tried to range the elk and it did the same thing to me. I ended up sending it back to newcon and they fixed it. I want a tuff rugged unit that works if I need to spend 10K to 15K so be it. I just want something that works reliable and everytime. Do you know anything else I should look at besides the Leica Vector that I have to wait over a year for with 12K up front?

PLRF10002.jpg

I own and use two different Vectronics rangefinders...a PLRF10 and a VectorIV. The pic above I took through the PLRF10. I've taken readings with it beyond 3200 meters. This stuff is spendy but top notch.

The standard IV has a couple different options for NVG use. You can use a Monoloc and a PVS-14 or use the factory mount and monocular. The LED readout has an NVG setting.

Vectors are the only QUALITY laser on the market that I know of that will give consistant ELR readings, other than the military units.

Vectors are the only QUALITY laser on the market that I know of that will give consistant ELR readings, other than the military units. Baer Custom Rifles can get them as I understand. 717-349-4077

Ok so dumb question but are you guys shooting a lot at those distances? I mean up to 1200 yds maybe but past that is pretty much a crap shoot.....but thats just me?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skinnypitt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok so dumb question but are you guys shooting a lot at those distances? I mean up to 1200 yds maybe but past that is pretty much a crap shoot.....but thats just me? </div></div>

Thats just YOU

I use a Vectronics PLRF10 and i have used it in west texas and ranged a 24'x 30' steel target at exactly one mile.It was a sunny day with heavy mirage and i had to try 3-4 times to get the same reading but the distance was dead on for my rifle.I used a 300 wm and scored a hit.I have ranged buildings and large structures up to 3000 yards with it.I'm pleased with the performance.It was expensive but well worth it.

who needs a rifle, sounds like you could just burn a hole through it with that PLRF10 laser

Where are you guys buying the Vectronix products from? I can't seem to find them anywhere? They sound like a great product. A group buy would be great!

Vectronix inc.
801 sycolin road SE
SUITE 206 Leesburg,VA
703-485-0182

the above is the contact info. i used to contact and buy the PLRF10

I paid 3200 for mine plus shipping.the other models go up past 4500 from what i can remember.

Hi Guys ,

Do the PLRF-10 & 15 all come with a etched reticle & a red led box as a aiming mark ?

Later Chris

the PLRF10 I use has just a regular crosshair.I wish it had a red dot aiming point that was visible for use at night.

I'm actualy working on a bulk order of the PLRF's, as soon as I can confirm a price I'll make some posts here.

The PLRF should have a red aiming box LED. You will need to look through the little instruction manual to see how to turn it on and off.

A shooting buddy and I each have PLRF range finders. It is normal to range to 3000m on big items, easily past 2000m on small items.

I was able to range to over 2000m in light/medium rain on rocks last weekend in AZ.

Mike

Cory What distances whave you been using your PLRF's to? I've been a bit disapointed in my Swaro at anything beyond 1,000.

JeffVN

The PLRF-10 is a good 1500-2000 meter unit on a reasonable size target. The PLFR-15 will do 3K. My primary system is a Vector IV, with which I can range a hillside at 5K and a 1 x 1.5 meter target at 2500m.

The PLRF is small and light, but I really love the glass in the Vector binos. I can spot with them almost as well as with the Leupold 12-40 spotter.

check those prices,...they are imported into the US and right now the EURO is pretty strong.

I think you will find that even the PLRF10 will run 3,500 USD?

Thats serious money.

They are however the only way to go beyond 2,000 yds.

Sharpshooter:

Just a word of caution. No rangfinder will range in all conditions. I only mention this because in your opening remarks, you said 'all conditions'. But when it comes to rain, snow, sleet, fog, etc. a range finder will only go so far regardless of the wavelength. So on a clear day you may get 2000 yards with a reflective target (or more). But if conditions are less then ideal, that range can be substantially reduced. Again, I just want to be sure that you aren't disappointed. Regardless, the Vectronix PLRF is one of the best you can get.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338lmshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the PLRF10 I use has just a regular crosshair.I wish it had a red dot aiming point that was visible for use at night. </div></div>
Read the manual, it has an unlit crosshair or a lit box. There are a number of readout options in the menu. Call Vectronix for the current price, it's an excellent LRF if you can afford one.

The person I bought my PLRF10 from was Mike Nolan: [email protected]

Michael E. Nolan
Business Development
Hand Held Technology
Vectronix, Inc.
801 Sycolin Road SE
Suite 206
Leesburg, VA 20175
703-485-0182 (Direct)
571-246-3759 (Cell)
703-777-3900 x7182
703-777-3940 (Fax)

BTW, I think I had to sign an ITAR agreement before Mike would give me the current price. Maybe someone who is really interested in the PLRF10 can inquire and post the price here.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: One-Eyed Jack</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 338lmshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the PLRF10 I use has just a regular crosshair.I wish it had a red dot aiming point that was visible for use at night. </div></div>

Read the manual, it has an unlit crosshair or a lit box. There are a number of readout options in the menu.... </div></div>

That's it , all the PLRF units have the crosshair plus ( if you like to turn it on ) the lit box , just check out the options in the menu .

PP out

Vector or the new Vectronix. Great glass, will consistently hit mind boggling ranges...kilometers away. Not sure how they do it with an eye safe laser, or how it works in marginal weather.

I have the PLRF15C,...its worth more than the damn rifles I shoot!

That said, anywhere other than a formal known distance target range it is invaluable.

Get one. You will not regret the investment.

Im getting my Vector VI SR1 next week . Pricey as hell ! But there the best you can ever get!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1ZNUF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There is a great deal of popularity for the Newcon units on this forum; I've yet to see a post that rates the Swaros above the Newcons. Some users of the 2000 yard Bino/RF unit swear by them out to 2000 meters and beyond. I'm seriously considering spring for a set myself. </div></div>
i was waiting for some vector's, but went with a pair of newcon 4000ci with the RS-232 interface for the PDA, i have ranged 2K constantly with my unit, but haven't really went out on a clear day to try and hit some longer ranges (supposed to range up to 4K), the glass is very good comparable to high quality bino's (minus the high magnification), and with the 50mm obj should work well in low light conditions.

I run the newcon 3000 pros and I was able to get a reading at 2400 yards... Bouncing it off a truck. The newcons do a nice job of extending the range of the Swaro's; however, I personally find the clarity of the glass as just adequate

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shoot1760</div><div class="ubbcode-body">HOw much was your Newcon new???</div></div>
4000CI's were about 4200

see the other threads on hooking the PLRF/SSF Software and KESTREL 4500 together.

Damn awesome fire interdiction tools.

Rent the wife out,...buy the tools!!!

My Vector VI just got in yesterday . And can't wait to use it when I get back home !