• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Laser Range Finder Scope HELP

charlest49

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2009
NJ
I have a new remington milspec 300 mag/i would like to know what you guys think about range finder scopes good/bad which brands are best/i was thinking about buying one but dont know much about them/thanks for any help.

Re: Laser Range Finder Scope HELP

Two schools of thought on this issue:
1. RF Scopes eliminate the biggest issue when shooting unknown distances as the RF is built right into the scope.

2. Incorporating a RF into a scope unnecessarily complicates the scope & adds weight, complexity & for the same money, limits the optical quality of the instrument compared to a non RF scope in the same price range.

My own personal view is that current production RF scopes have a place & that may well be with the less experienced rifle shot or hunter. Those among us who have practiced for many years in the application of precision rifle fire will generally prefer to use a scope without a built in RF. YMMV.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the gman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

2. Incorporating a RF into a scope unnecessarily complicates the scope & adds weight, complexity & for the same money, limits the optical quality of the instrument compared to a non RF scope in the same price range.

</div></div> +1
In addition you are subjecting the rangefinding electronics to the effects of recoil. Since you likely need binoculars anyway, why not look at rangefinding binoculars?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: the gman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div> +1
In addition you are subjecting the rangefinding electronics to the effects of recoil. Since you likely need binoculars anyway, why not look at rangefinding binoculars? </div></div>

Exactly what I did with the Leupold Windriver binos. Bought them several years ago & for what I paid & for what I use them for, well, I consider them excellent value for money. Are they as good as say Leica? Hell no. I am looking to buy a Swarovski stand alone rangefinder for longer ranges for use with my .338LM but until I have the funds & for my current needs, even tho' the Leupold is made in (EEK!!) China, they work for me.

Unless you can afford to spend $3.5 to $4K on Zeiss RF scopes which are really the only RF scopes I would personally chose why go that route?

A Swarovski RF is around $1K new. Buy a nice Nightforce or similar quality scope at around $1500 & you have change from the RF scope on it's own that you can use for ammo which will give you the results you are looking for from the RF scope. Even if you don't buy the Swarovski & go cheaper with both RF & your scope, you will still gain more from getting to the range than you would with the RF scope on it's own.

There is NO substitute for knowing YOUR rifle, YOUR scope, YOUR ammo & most importantly, HOW to use them effectively. You can't get that from books or the WWW or a RF scope; it only comes from being on the range with your weapon. You got a new rifle, load some ammo & go shoot it, a LOT!
grin.gif

It has been my experience that a RF scope, while cool in theory, is a waste of money. With practice, you can range just as fast with your chosen reticle. You don't have the extra bulk or anything to break. Plus, you can get a lot more scope, as in quality of glass, for the same money.

I would like to see more RF scope options, the problem with existing RF scopes is they don't range very far but I guess that isn't a problem because they have poor adjustment travel range anyway. They also have a lower magnification range than is generally desired by todays standards too.

There are several advantages to having the RF on the weapon:
1. The rifle is more stable making ranging easier, reducing the likelihood of mistakenly ranging an object in front or behind the target. I find that if I have time I end up resting my RF binos atop my rifles scope to get precise readings.
2. An RF scope would make engagement times much faster. I tape my ballistic tables right to my cheek piece right under my cheek weld so I don't have to rummage through a databook or come off the gun to dope my rifle, it would be very convenient to laze targets from the gun too. I like the concept that Zeiss employed on their new RF scopes that tells you the bullet drop, it is obviously very primitive and needs a lot of work but they are moving in the right direction.

The optimal RF scope would have an effective range of 2-2.5K yards with 90 - 100 MOA of travel, with first focal plane reticle option, and a power range of 4-16x to 5-25x. Of course this would be for extreme distances used on a 338LM+ cartridge.

The existing scope options would be decent for a 308 WIN if they would range to 1400 yards, because as we all know when the crap hits the fan your lucky if your 1400 yard range finder will range 1000 yards.