• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser range finders?

okangshooter

Private
Minuteman
Apr 27, 2011
It has been my experience that most range finders only range half or less than their advertised range. For instance, I have a Leupold RX 750. This morning is bright and clear. I can range trees in the pasture across the road from my house out to 289 yards. Thats it. I finally got a reading off of a window of a house at 312 yards. Hardly 750 yards. Granted, the 750 yard range is with a reflective target. When you cant even range a cow at 300 yards, it hardly seems worth it.

What is your experience with laser range finders?

Re: Laser range finders?

My experience has been the opposite.

My first Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC was usually good out to about 1200 yds, and I think the most I ever hit was 1381 yds. I've never heard anything bad about the laser in Bushnell LRF's though.

Consequently, I chose them for my upgrade and went with the Bushnell Fusion 1600 ARC and was more than pleasantly surprised.
I've hit the side of a grassy hillside at 1680 meters and I think the farthest I ever got on pine trees was 1830 something yards.

Some are better than others. You might need to check your batteries. I've got an old Leupold VX-II that will hit 500 pretty easy. That's my go-to LRF for archery.

I've had this one a day. It shows full battery. I will tinker with it some more before passing judgement on it.

Sounds typical of a Leupold RF. Brother and buddy both have the RX 1000 and they are, reliably, 400yd RF's. Beyond that, it works when it wants to.

If it makes you feel any better, I had 2 CRF 1200s that were the same way.

Get you one of these and range as far as you want with precision.
leicarangefinder1.jpg

I have the rx-1000 and it is a piece of shit imo. I have troubles ranging most targets past 400 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Swarovski laser guide works awesome. </div></div>

This is probably the best rangefinder on the market for the money. Should be good to well over 1km.

I had a Leupold as well and it was just like yours. I gave it to my brother-in-law and bought a Leica. I have the Rangemaster 1200 and have ranged to 1260 yds with it. It is simple to use and battery friendly. I would recommend any of the Leica rangefinders.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: reclaimer1986</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pyplynr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My Swarovski laser guide works awesome. </div></div>

This is probably the best rangefinder on the market for the money. Should be good to well over 1km. </div></div>

I've used a Zeiss a little and have had good luck with them. Anybody have a comparison for the Swaro to Zeiss? Main thing I don't care for on the Zeiss is it bulky.

Took it back and got a bushnell. Should have tried it before i left. It wouldnt range at ALL! Went back and got another Leupold RX 750. It is working pretty well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okangshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It has been my experience that most range finders only range half or less than their advertised range. For instance, I have a Leupold RX 750. This morning is bright and clear. I can range trees in the pasture across the road from my house out to 289 yards. Thats it. I finally got a reading off of a window of a house at 312 yards. Hardly 750 yards. Granted, the 750 yard range is with a reflective target. When you cant even range a cow at 300 yards, it hardly seems worth it.

What is your experience with laser range finders? </div></div>

me experiance with leupold rangefinders is exactly the same as yours. had the same problem with the rx 750 and rx 1200 yd models. my experiance with cheaper busnells and more expensive swarovski's are the exact opposite

I'm on my 3rd leica 1600 crf, but this one was put aside for me after i had called them about my second one. Mine now works great, i've ranged to a roof 1300yds away, window 1100yds away... so far.

I was going to go to the bushnell arc fusion 1600 or the new monocular 1600 arc that i hear is very consistent as far as quality control.

I have run the Lieca in several matches and it works extremely well. That said @ the Oct PMG i was able to run the Burris Fusion 1600 bino's and will be adding them to my kit once I recover from my recent can purchase. It ranged as well as the Lieca and was esier to use and had the benefit of combing 2 pieces of kit.

Hopefully at one of the matches I will get lucky and see a nice pouch or something that is not quite as costly. I am forever on the CFO's watchlist......

It's not a great solution, but keep in mind you don't have to laze the target directly. If you can range a bigger object nearby, you should be able to take a SWAG at it.

Im on my 3rd LRF now, had a shoddy bushnell yardage pro 400? originally... Rubbish.

Then moved up to the Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC that worked pretty well on reflective targets out to around 1000m. the angle measurement feature was handy and i liked. the reticle pattern was also very helpful.

Broke it.

Now onto the Swarovski Laser Guide and apart from the big donut ring reticle it's awesome. Have made hits out to nearly 2km in the morning with good reflective targets. It's small, rounded edges and great optics. Buy the damn thing once and save your money! - if you can of course.

I have a Leica 1600 and can get 1827 repeatedly on a barn across the lake. Usually no problem with most things under 1K in my experience. I do like the idear of the Bushnell binoc/rangefinder though. That seems to be a great idea for the price.

As has been said by others in this thread - Bushnell Fusion 1600. Done.

Before the 1600, I had the Bushnell Elite 1500 ARC. It could hit large reflective buildings at 1200 yards, but in the desert against a landscape, 700-800 was about the max. The 1600 has no problem ranging trees and hillsides at well over 1200 yards, sometimes up to 1500 depending on reflectivity. More than I need for a 308.

Have Leupold and Leica

Leica is hands down the best one I have used.Its worth the money IMO

I have used a low end Bushnell 450 for years and have never had a problem with ranging objects to the full 450yds.

Have a Bushnell Fusion 1600 ARC, have had no problems getting readings on virtually anything within 1200 yards, works well out to 1600-1700 on a fairly regular basis.

Used it today at the range With M852. Re-zeroed to 200, went back to 300 and used the come ups it showed and fired a group. Maybe an inch low. Repeat at 500 and it was about 4" low but mirage was bad with heat from my can and the 38 degree air.

I switched to the steel targets and ranged the rams at 550 yards. Dialed the come ups given in the range finder, held center mass and CLANG! 1st round hit. Same at 408 yards with turkeys etc.. I ranged the target number boards at 650 and shot the steel late behind the butts and impact was at 6 o'clock. I'm thinking I need to add another full moa or two at 600+?

I have Leica Rangemaster 1600 and it is great.
I have lased:
Cloud of steam repeatedly at 143 m
Building repeatedly at 1248 m
Buildings at 1530 m and 1887 m (verified)

I had little problems with building with large glass windows around 900m when it was directly lit by bright sunlight.
On the other hand it can be aimed precisely.

Awesome!

I have the bushy chuck Adams 850, first day I had it I ranged a piece of broke down farm equip at 763 yds.
On trees, it's tough at 400+, but I've got to 560, just takes more f'in around. So, in general it does what it says it will.

I want the Bushnell 1600's, but what models are all of you using?? They have golf models, if it can hit a golf flag, it can hit a tree, right. Then multiple hunting and the bino's, from about $400-$900.

My Leica works great, and the Zeiss range finding binos do as well. I'm thinking I might sell the Leica since I don't use it as much now, but it's small enough to stick in my pocket when I can't carry bulky binoculars. For hunting, the combo thing is fantastic because it saves me a few seconds, and sometimes that's all you have to take the shot.

Haven't had any problems with my Leupy rx-lll but have only ranged treeline at 750. And range target boards out to200

Haven't had any problems with my Leupy rx-lll but have only ranged treeline at 750. And range target boards out to200

I have used the Swaro 8x32 and had reasonable success in three matches this year that required a LRF. During practice I did find that the Geovids worked more reliably and further. The new Bushnells ranged well but the color of the glass was not pleasant. Overall, I really like the form factor of the Swaros. I hear that there is a new Sware EL LRF coming out. This will be great for hunting, but i think i will keep the 8x32 Swaro LRF for comps due to the small and light form factor and generally reliable ranging.

I am using the Bushnell Legend 1200 and have ranged regularly out to 1400 yards with it. For the money you cant beat that.

Anyone try out the new Swaroski EL Range? Its a rangefinder built into binos, and is suppose to be the cats meow.

Leica 1200 and it is quite reliable out to 800. If weather conditions are good, and the surface I'm ranging is reflective, 1200 isn't a problem. The farthest it has ranged was 1720 yards. That was on a very clear summer day, humidity about 30%, over a river, and off a very brightly painted white house. I have ranged that house on a number of occasions, and that is the ONLY place I can get it to range like that. Usually, it is good for around 188-1000, with 1200 under optimal conditions.

If it is a hazy day, I'm lucky to get out to 600 yards.

Leica 1200 and it is quite reliable out to 800. If weather conditions are good, and the surface I'm ranging is reflective, 1200 isn't a problem. The farthest it has ranged was 1720 yards. That was on a very clear summer day, humidity about 30%, over a river, and off a very brightly painted white house. I have ranged that house on a number of occasions, and that is the ONLY place I can get it to range like that. Usually, it is good for around 188-1000, with 1200 under optimal conditions.

If it is a hazy day, I'm lucky to get out to 600 yards. And all that is with fresh batteries.

With Lasers you get what you pay for.

The Bushnell 1600 is pretty good value for the money, but (to Bushnell's credit) they state a maximum range of 450-500 yards on game. For most hunters it will get the job done.

For a hunter looking for a bit more distance (my personal preference) is the Leica for its cross-hair, speed, and form factor.
Others may prefer the Swarovski for its greater range at over 1000 yard targets.

The Rolls Royce of LRFs is the Vectronix....I errr....Want one!
smile.gif

http://www.vectronix.ch/#/en/products/ha...egacy_continues

I have had my Leica 1200 for about 4 years and have been happy with both performance and reliability. Can't remember a time when it has not worked. Now thinking about getting the 1600.

My ziess actually ranges more than advertised. I think the swaro will do the same. and probably the geovid as well.

Cheap rangefinders will probably be about half or so...So you would be right on that one.

I bought a Bushnell 1500 ARC on the Hide. A little bulky but it works great - I have been able to range 1347 with it.

Got a refurbished Swaro from Cameraland for $750ish and they are the best thing I've ever used. Good price and the furthest I've ranged with them is a building at 1850 meters

Pretty good in my book