• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser Rangefinder Beam Divergence, The best indicator of "accuracy"?

Hotshot001

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2022
UK
Hello Snipers Hide!

Is the physical size of the laser beam divergence of a rangefinder, the most important factor when looking at accuracy of ranging small targets at sub 2000m distances?

I have been looking to rank the best 905nm LRF bino's in order of accuracy on smaller targets, and it seems like this could be a good way to do it?

Below is a list I put together, all 10 x 42 mag / lens to keep it fair.
MakeModelBeam DivergenceTwilight Factor
Sig SauerKilo 10K0.06 x 1.5 = 0.009 MRAD?
VortexFury 5000 HD AB0.1 x 1.5 = 0.15 MRAD20.49
LeicaGeovid 3200.com0.5 x 1.2 = 0.6 MRAD20.5
SwarovskiEL TA0.5 x 1.5 = 0.75 MRAD20.5
ZeissVictory0.5 x 1.6 = 0.8 MRAD20.5

The matches I shoot often have targets surrounded by grass, brush or foliage, or the target could be elevated on a post, meaning you could be pinging the grass in front or behind a target without realising. I know you could ping any target multiple times and average the reading, but as I'm looking at spending a good chunk of cash here, I don't mind doing the research legwork to help the issue. Target size is typically 1 to 2 MOA, with some of the circa 1000m stages being 1 MOA belly shooting.

I'm looking to upgrade my spotting/ranging kit, and unlike most looking for LRF bino's, my absolute priority is accuracy of the laser. I will be using a Spotting scope with MRAD reticle mounted right beside the Bino's, and the kit will be used at precision rifle style matches here in the UK and the bigger matches in Europe.

The NRL Hunter / Ruck style of matches hasn't taken off this side of the pond yet, so having built in AB or Ballistic calculator capability isn't of much use to me. I'm more than happy with how Strelok Pro lines up with my trued values out to the distances I shoot.

Nearly all of my hunting is predators during hours of darkness with thermal, so the Bino's will rarely be used in that sense.

I know the 1550nm lasers would be a class above, but they are out of budget for me.

Hope this is ok for a first post! Happy to be on the hide finally.

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned it was my first post? 😅 Huge amount of response 😬

I had chance to look through the Swaro' and Zeiss options yesterday, and I have to say they are both seriously impressive pieces of glass. I didn't have chance to try the LRF functions at any proper distances though sadly. It seems the other threads on the hide are indicating that the Leica's LRF is considerably better than the competition.

I haven't had chance to look through the Leica, but I imagine the glass will be in the same tier as the other options from the top brands. Anyone out there found much difference comparing the Leica LRF and the Swaro'?

My heart is on the Leica but I'm being offered a very good price on Swarovski and the warranty reputation is excellent.

Reactions: Fat Dark Earth
Just looking for pure accuracy and the quickness of the RF 10K is the winner.
Now when you add quality of glass to the equation Swaro’s move up as they are very quick and work fine out to 1500-1600 yds maybe a tad further.

Hey, read up on Nick Vitalbo's article on LRF's in the book put out by Brian Litz - Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Volume 2 (I think) - he talks about how to compare LRF's and why the beam divergence # isn't the best comparison tool.

I can't remember his handle here - if anyone else does, please tag him?

Reactions: Hotshot001
Hey, read up on Nick Vitalbo's article on LRF's in the book put out by Brian Litz - Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting Volume 2 (I think) - he talks about how to compare LRF's and why the beam divergence # isn't the best comparison tool.

I can't remember his handle here - if anyone else does, please tag him?
Correct,

You still need all the downstream shit in order to take advantage of beam divergence to make a good "rangefinder", it's not just BD alone. unfortunately

I find it unfortunate that they did not continue with their laser range finder tests, it would put all the manufacture claims of range into context.

Right now 90% of the forum bullshit is subjective reviews of how well it performs.

Unacceptable when deciding what $1k-$15k range finder to buy

Correct,

You still need all the downstream shit in order to take advantage of beam divergence to make a good "rangefinder", it's not just BD alone. unfortunately

I find it unfortunate that they did not continue with their laser range finder tests, it would put all the manufacture claims of range into context.

Right now 90% of the forum bullshit is subjective reviews of how well it performs.

Unacceptable when deciding what $1k-$15k range finder to buy

But where is your sense of adventure?