• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser Rangefinders - Zeiss vs. Newcon

Bugaboo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2010
Prague, Czech Republic
Hi all,
I am doing my research on laser rangefinders and for a long time I was leaning towards the Zeiss Victory 8x26 T PRF. Now I've found another option: Newcon LRM 1500 SPD.

My problem is I have never heard of Newcon, so I don't know what to expect in terms of quality and reliability, it should be Canadian company. It is EURO 150 cheaper than the Zeiss, which has reputation for its quality. I am competition shooter, not a professional, but I want good gear that will last.

So, my questions:

1) Does Newcon provide good quality rangefinders?
2) Is one better than the other? If so, which one and why. :-D

Thank you all in advance.

Re: Laser Rangefinders - Zeiss vs. Newcon

I've never held a Newcon and I can't comment on the quality but I certainly would not think it was anywhere near the optical quality of the Zeiss. But I do own the Zeiss unit you mentioned and it is excellent. The optical quality is great. And have accurately ranged out to about 1200 meters.

The only good thing I heard was from the higher end 4k+ ones and they were still put behind a vectronix, people seem to love their zeiss and swaro's, I had a Bushnell fusion arc1600 that rocked, also read good things about the new steiner bino lrf's but those are 2k+.

Can't comment on the Newcon, but I do own the Zeiss.
Optic is fantastic, In full sunshine, I have been able to range 12" wide wood power line poles out to 1000 yds. The wooden "H" structure power lines to 1300 yds. Rocks,mounds,fence lines, etc. out to 1300. Brown cows to a 1000(furthest i've tried).
Cottonwood and pine trees out to 1475 yds. Haven't tested in snow yet, but thus far, very happy with the Zeiss.

Well I can't get the phone pics to upload, but I'm sitting here waiting for the deer to move and ranged a tree consistently and fast at 1230 with my zeiss fwiw.

Deer are a little slow this afternoon.

Bought a Newcon 4000 about a year ago. Sent them back. Got them to range about 2025 yards and that was it. Didn't work very well. Spend the money on Vetronix

I've had great luck with zeiss binos. They have a beam divergance that's very close to Vetronix. I'm sure the laser's stronger in the vector but I've compared vector's plrf side by side with my binos and they'll hang at 1000yds.

With that said, the zeiss minocular's have a much larger divergence than the binos.

Thanks, I know the Binocular lrfs are better, I'm just not investing EURO 2500+ into a lrf. How much are the Vectronic monocular lrfs? Are they better than Zeiss?

Everyone talks about the beam divergence, and honestly, I have had zero issues ranging what i am pointing at within 1400 yds.

YMMV

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I know the Binocular lrfs are better, I'm just not investing EURO 2500+ into a lrf. How much are the Vectronic monocular lrfs? Are they better than Zeiss? </div></div>

The laser on the Vect blows away the Zeiss.....its not a apples to apples comparison.

OK, but at what price? I don't need a lrf to reach to 4000 m, I shoot rifle, not a cannon. If the Vector costs considerably more, I don't care it measures over 1000 meters, effective range of my TRG 22 is 1000 m.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I know the Binocular lrfs are better, I'm just not investing EURO 2500+ into a lrf. How much are the Vectronic monocular lrfs? Are they better than Zeiss? </div></div>

The laser on the Vect blows away the Zeiss.....its not a apples to apples comparison. </div></div>

agreed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I know the Binocular lrfs are better, I'm just not investing EURO 2500+ into a lrf. How much are the Vectronic monocular lrfs? Are they better than Zeiss?</div></div>

The vector's are definately more than the zeiss binos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone talks about the beam divergence, and honestly, I have had zero issues ranging what i am pointing at within 1400 yds.

YMMV</div></div>

I would agree with this statement, but I've come across too many ukd's placed between two berms several hundred yards apart.

The laser on the Vect blows away the Zeiss.....its not a apples to apples comparison.[/quote]

True, but inside of 1k no one would know difference.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: distantfoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks, I know the Binocular lrfs are better, I'm just not investing EURO 2500+ into a lrf. How much are the Vectronic monocular lrfs? Are they better than Zeiss?</div></div>

The vector's are definately more than the zeiss binos.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nate O</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Everyone talks about the beam divergence, and honestly, I have had zero issues ranging what i am pointing at within 1400 yds.

YMMV</div></div>

I would agree with this statement, but I've come across too many ukd's placed between two berms several hundred yards apart.

The laser on the Vect blows away the Zeiss.....its not a apples to apples comparison.</div></div>

True, but inside of 1k no one would know difference. [/quote]

If all you were going to do is 1k shooting......why would you even look at a rangefinder that costs 3.7k USD.

Then for the money, don't look any further than the Zeiss PLRF

I am not doubting the Zeiss. The Newcon is cheaper and has longer declared range. I don't know the price of the Vectronix, I just know our military is using them and they are supposed to be excellent. If I can get the same or similar quality for less money, why not?