• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Laser scintillation and wind estimation

wichitaguns

Private
Minuteman
Jun 7, 2012
Has anyone dug into laser scintillation and wind estimation? The technique itself is fairly old (1970) and Nick Vitalbo has a small business grant award for modifying oem lrf to accomplish the scintillation and wind part. Was wondering if any of the maker crowd here had messed around with it?
Also believe there is a chapter in litz’s first book about it
I have a couple of reference on order which cover it aspects of it , but didn’t know if anyone here had hands on experience with the method.

We have developed multiple devices that use this technology and are now being used on the front lines. Can't speak much more about it, other than we are several generations ahead of what is published at this point.
We as in the US? or we as in applied ballistics

Hand held lidar/doppler has been around for a while it’s just very expensive

You’ll see it used in “big dollar” sail boat racing.

The last one I saw was the size of a big text book and about 100k.

I’m sure there are smaller cheaper by now

We have developed multiple devices that use this technology and are now being used on the front lines. Can't speak much more about it, other than we are several generations ahead of what is published at this point.
Meanwhile, civilian-me is doing…

1709869568751.jpeg

…or just recently a slightly more sophisticated electronic version of…

1709869692547.gif

Le sigh…

Lol. This is where I am at. It be neat to see what a dedicated diy could do, if this were approached as a research project. Might come to naught, but it would be fun.

Last edited:
If you look into wind mapping on various drone resource sites you'll learn more. Even that stuff really isn't affordable on the hobbyist level.
The various older public papers on DARPA's "one shot" program from ~10 years ago had a lot of hobby level stuff submitted.

We as in the US? or we as in applied ballistics
Both. Our system won the contract.

Hand held lidar/doppler has been around for a while it’s just very expensive

You’ll see it used in “big dollar” sail boat racing.

The last one I saw was the size of a big text book and about 100k.

I’m sure there are smaller cheaper by now
It is slightly smaller than a RAPTAR-S at this point.

If you look into wind mapping on various drone resource sites you'll learn more. Even that stuff really isn't affordable on the hobbyist level.
The various older public papers on DARPA's "one shot" program from ~10 years ago had a lot of hobby level stuff submitted.
We are way beyond hobby level now.