• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Laser "tape measure" for scope zero...

smokeon

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 11, 2017
Hey guys
Just migrated over from the old scout site.

My question;

I've got access to a Leica industrial laser measure that I'd like to use to measure exactly 100m for a tall target test on a new Vortex AMG.
(I'd rather use the laser instead of a steel tape because of undulations on the ground = inaccurate measurement)

but - it's been super tricky to get the dot on the target at 100m in sunlight.

does anyone have some tips on how to go about this...?

I'm open to any ideas...!

Im not too certain there is any real need to be that precise, unless you just really have the time, and resources, which you seem to. If youre off by a slight amount either way, it should really show enough to be a discernible difference in your ability as a shooter vs the mechanical accuracy of the rifle, unless youre shooting from a ransom rest of some kind.

I do the same thing you are trying to do now

I use a Leica Distro D8 that has a camera function with a cross hair

You will also need to use it from a tripod, and adjust some of the settings in the menu to allow it longer to take the readings especially if you are doing it during mid day

Deepening on the unit you may also need a special reflective target in order for it to see your target at distance anyway. Different models have different limits. The Distro D8 is good to 200 meters but can give me a fit being stable enough to get happy with the 100 yard readings some times

You could try reflective marking tape as well, think tach light tape

I'm with you though, nobody needs +/- 1/64 " accuracy at 100 yards.... But I'm with you, embrace the OCD! Horus Cats targets work well too if you can find some

Good luck

Or put a nail in the target board up higher and hang your roll tape off that so when you pull tight you're not touching the ground.