• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Lasergrips or not?

DoubleBarrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2009
South, OK. USA
As it says, what's your thoughts on lasergrips on a defensive pistol. ie 45 single stack 1911 for home defense. thanks in advance

Re: Lasergrips or not?

Lasers are fine, but having some type of white light is more important. Target ID is just about impossible with just a laser.

A Surefire either handheld or weapon mounted would be my first choice.

Cut

for my experience, lasers are only good for an itimidation device. With that said what it said above my post about a white light is your best bet. Will momentarily stun/blind your "bad guy", gives you a second to see who it is(shoot or no shoot). I would go with the Surefire light with the Thumbloop. Something about a weapon light to me screams shoot at me if i have a gun as well. And with it mounted on a weapon that you are looking over the sights chances are if he fires to you are going to catch on in the dome or close to that area

deadly0311 said:
for my experience, lasers are only good for an itimidation device.

I have to disagree. Laser are an incredible tool if used correctly and to their full potential, let me explain.

1)Lasers can be used to help you with your trigger pull and weapon movement. Have a video camera record at the target and place the laser on the target. Now slowly squeeze the trigger until the shot goes off, reset your trigger and repeat 10 more times. Review the video in slow motion and review how much the laser moves when you squeeze the trigger. This helps it shooting analysis when the shots are not going where they should.

2) Laser can help (if sighted in) you shoot from awkward positions where you cant see your sights. This can be from downed positions where you cant get your weapon up for sighted fire to close contact positions (1foot away) where you cant really see where your barrel is positioned. With the laser you can at least see the dot and be pretty confident sending lead down range.

3) Intimidation device: This may help de-escalate situations where deadly force may be justified. It has been know for people to break off what they were doing and start concentrating on the laser and trying to get it off them.

I do agree the a white light is important in low light situations and I would reccomend and light/laser combo. The op asked should he get a laser, I say its foolish not to get one.

Mac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
deadly0311 said:
for my experience, lasers are only good for an itimidation device.

I have to disagree. Laser are an incredible tool if used correctly and to their full potential, let me explain.

1)Lasers can be used to help you with your trigger pull and weapon movement. Have a video camera record at the target and place the laser on the target. Now slowly squeeze the trigger until the shot goes off, reset your trigger and repeat 10 more times. Review the video in slow motion and review how much the laser moves when you squeeze the trigger. This helps it shooting analysis when the shots are not going where they should.

2) Laser can help (if sighted in) you shoot from awkward positions where you cant see your sights. This can be from downed positions where you cant get your weapon up for sighted fire to close contact positions (1foot away) where you cant really see where your barrel is positioned. With the laser you can at least see the dot and be pretty confident sending lead down range.

3) Intimidation device: This may help de-escalate situations where deadly force may be justified. It has been know for people to break off what they were doing and start concentrating on the laser and trying to get it off them.

I do agree the a white light is important in low light situations and I would reccomend and light/laser combo. The op asked should he get a laser, I say its foolish not to get one.

Mac </div></div>
1. Agree totally, a great shooting fundamentals aid
2. Agree partially, without getting into a debate about combat shooting or definisive shooting. The body tends to lose major motor functions when its a fight/flight situation, hand eye coordination is one. Agree with the laser helping with akward shooting postions, but the numerous times that i have seen Marines fire rounds with Crimson traced M9s, they tend to not even focus on the shooting fundamentals and it turns into a gang shootout.
3. Agree

i guess i was saying not to solely rely on a laser. But your idea of a light/laser combo is a good one.

I would spend the money on a good weapon light and pass on the laser.

WELL, I will chime in here.

This is my thoughts on any VISIBLE laser mounted on a weapon. Lasers are good for fast target acquisition, but I feel that they detract from actuall shooting.

If you equip your pistol with a visible laser and sight it in for X distance then its only going to be exact for X distance. Say you have it sighted in for 21 yards its only going to be on at 7 yards, where is it going to be at 25 yards? or at 15 yards? Yes it will be cloe but if you use it as an absolute it simply isnt going to be.

If you use the laser alone for shooting then you are not using the sights then you are doing nothing but point shooting, now while point shooting can be effective and has its own merits I dont think its the best thing.

NOW this is something else to think about you have a weapon mounted laser, you turn it on and put it on someone chest....... what have you just done at that point that has been hopefully engrained into peoples brains since they started handeling firearms.

You just broke one of the 4 rules of safety, you are now pointing your weapon at something you are not sure as if you want to destroy it or not. That is one of my problems with people who only have a weapon mounted light as well. In order to effectively use the light you must point your weapon at something you may not be willing to destroy, also I dont always light up the badguy with my light, often times I will reflect if off the ground as to not blind myself. Light reflecting directly back off of white walls is a bitch, but shine your light down at the ground at an angle to your target and it will light the target up and you dont risk blinding yourself as bad. I honestly think that lowlight shooting is something that is not covered nearly enough. Think about it, when was the last time you did some night training and diminished light work?

ok, Ill get off my soapbox now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you equip your pistol with a visible laser and sight it in for X distance then its only going to be exact for X distance. Say you have it sighted in for 21 yards its only going to be on at 7 yards, where is it going to be at 25 yards? or at 15 yards? Yes it will be cloe but if you use it as an absolute it simply isnt going to be.</div></div>

How does that differ from an optical or iron sighted firearm?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: EddieNFL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you equip your pistol with a visible laser and sight it in for X distance then its only going to be exact for X distance. Say you have it sighted in for 21 yards its only going to be on at 7 yards, where is it going to be at 25 yards? or at 15 yards? Yes it will be cloe but if you use it as an absolute it simply isnt going to be.</div></div>

How does that differ from an optical or iron sighted firearm?
</div></div>

its really not any different but some people think...... this is where the dot is, this is exactly where the bullet will go.

Don't forget, while you're puttinig your laser on the bad guy and hoping to intimidate him you're also informing him about your locations with a nice red line pointing right back to you.

Most people will shoot considerably slower with a laser. It takes longer to position a laser where you want it than it does the sights. It is also much more difficult to do since the laser is actually on the target which may be a considerable distance from you and the sights are at arms length (preferrably).

Have fun explaining to a jury why you shot someone in the head but your intent was only to stop them after an attorney has convinced a jury that with a laser you are easily capable of shooting a person's eye out at 200 yards with a pistol.

I whole heartedly agree that lasers can be very beneficial in training. I'll never be caught dead with one on a defensive pistol, or rifle for that matter unless my vision has deteriorated to the point that I can no longer see the sights.

Just my humble opinion.

I know I am new to this site, however, based on my experience (I was never a handgun carrying grunt, just carried an A2), I really had to relearn how to shoot pistols. The Army training just plain sucked for handgun use. I have my own range, and have found that when I time my shots with a handgun, my time goes way up with any visible laser mounted device. I shoot much faster without the laser rather than when I use it. I find I spend too much time chasing the damn little dot instead of relying on muscle memory and good technique. I also have found that as technique is improved, POI will change drastically. Locking in a POI with a visible laser is good for a few yards on a handgun, but I sure would want to know how to shoot your piece without the laser. Additionally, it is my opinion that for a carry piece, you’re limited to about a seven yard engagement, before you go to jail for your actions. Even night sights are probably a waste of money in an escalated situation where you are fighting for your life if the work is close-in!
Granted the laser has its advantages, as indicated above. But as a personal carry device, and in a non-law enforcement setting, I would be less inclined to use one.

Lasers are just an aid. They do not replace proper sighted fire as some people might think. Most people shoot from sighted fire positions. They do not hip shoot (which you might have to do) or contact distance shooting. If an attacker catches you by suprise by pulling out a knife and is 15 feet from you and advancing qickly, are you going to be able to get your weapon out from retention or concealment and have proper sighted fire? Try it with a friend and a airsoft pistol with just the compressed air in it.
The chances are you will at best be able to get the weapon out of the holster with your strong hand as your weak hand is fending off the attacker. Knowing you now have a limb out there are you going to take that shot not knowing if the muzzle is pointing at it....I think not. Laser pointing on my limb no shot, laser on bad guy shoot. My laser is sighted in at 2 yards.
I use the laser to help develop index points. I stand right in front on the target and practice shooting from the hip. I also practice hip shooting up to 2 yards. This helps me develop muscle memory on where my hand should be, is the muzzle on target etc. I also do this with my eyes closed and draw. If the laser is on target when I open my eyes...great, if not keep practicing until I can get it right pretty constantly.
As I said earlier lasers can help in downed positions where you cant get proper sighted fire at close distances as you will be looking at the threat rather than looking at the gun.
Some of you have said you have to look for the dot and chase it onto target and you are right. Thats why I ignore the dot when sighted fire is available. Its kind of like shooting a a.r with red dot and front sight but only in reverse. focus on the sights when during sighted fire and use the dot point shooting.
Lasers also help with your trigger manipulation. It lets you see muzzle movement as you pull the trigger therefore identifying any problems in your trigger pull.
As a aid and weapons augmentation I would not dismiss lasers on a combat weapon. With proper training they can be very effective but have their limits but I firmly believe nothing beats a good set of iron sights for supreme accuracy.

Mac

I believe that the laser in contact distant shooting is not helpful at all, if you have a very limited skill set when it comes to pistols even then you will be able to get hits on target with that kind of distance. With out sounding arrogant, i can shoot what i call instict shooting/contact distance shooting and get disabling hits on target out to about 10-15 yds with a pistol and about 15-25 yards with an ar by just looking over the sights.Not saying i can hold tight little groups, but i can immoblize you if you were running at me from say 5-10 yds. Like i said earlier the only thing good i see that could come from a laser is a training aid and akward shooting postions. Other than that it was brought up about a straight little red line right back to you in the dark, with the light you are going to momentarily blind the hell out of someone at night.

I have to agree that lasers can be beneficial in some limited situations, I myself don't use them and never will.... I can see how they can be of use in some situations where its impossible to achieve your desired sight alignment like others have stated above, and possibly as a deterrent to some people. I think that proper training and practice of traditional defensive tactics are ones best bet....... whatever my .02 are worth

i have lasers for my handguns because they were given to me for "testing" but i took them off in favor of some good fitting wraparound grips instead. the lasers in practice are pretty much useless in the lowlight scenarios people expect them to be helpful with. i agree that a handheld light is much more useful. dont mount it on your weapon people. as much as i have joked about purple laser beams id say that unless youre using invisible peq4 type beams in conjunction with nods its sci-fi garbage.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Curious_1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Flashlight and Good night sights. Extra mag just in case. I think that would be more benificial then dropping 3 hundo on some grips.

They are nice though. </div></div>

Curious,

My thoughts for a long time until I started to train Senior Citizens who flat cannot see those night sights, even at night, even with the great big SMS front night sight. That's my only practical application for it now.

Larry Vickers opinion on laser grips - LINK

Todd Jarrett CT on You Tube - LINK

Granted both these guys are paid by Crimson Trace but you still have to respect what they've done in the shooting industry. I've never liked visible lasers but for the wife on her home revolver - it's quite effective. Especially for someone who doesn't shoot very much.

I CCW a S&W 642 with CT405 Lasergrips and carry a hand held Surefire Tactical light in a belt holster. Both are on the table next to my head at night. Learn to shoot your weapon with and without both the laser and the tactical light and you will be prepared to use all of these tools in an appropriate scenario. They all have their proper time for use, just like any other tools. Massad Ayoob introduced me to Lasergrips at his 2 day seminar on CC/SD and the use of lethal force. Since he knows "A LIITLE BIT" about such matters, I followed his suggestion and purchased a set for my own weapon. I haven't regretted it................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: deadly0311</div><div class="ubbcode-body">for my experience, lasers are only good for an itimidation device. </div></div>

Someone out there gets it.

The single biggest advantage to a laser is when you have illuminated the BG with your white light, all he can see is white light. If you are standing behind that wall of light the laser is probably your best odds of deescalation. May or may not be a huge issue inside your house depending on your particular mindset or where you are on rock solid legal grounds for taking a life; but increase the distance beyond arm's length and put that in the context public parking lot with some ambiguous circumstances.

Sadly, it is marketed as a shooting aid to those that can't. That isn't what it is.

Good luck

ETA - I have one on a snubby and have told myself I should put them on my full size carry gun. However I find them distracting to shoot with. I *assume* I would get over it but have been unwilling to commit the funds as a result.

When I was a Police officer, I used a 92F and learned when and when not to use sights and life was good. Always qualified at 100% and never missed what I was shooting at.

Now I have an M-9 (same gun) with adjustable sights which are set correctly for unsuppressed use, and a lasergrip which is adjusted for suppressed use.

The suppressor adds enough weight that the pistol does not recoil as fast or as far, causing suppressed shots to hit a good 6 inches lower (and a tad to the right) of where an unsuppressed shot hits, at 20 meters.

So for me, as second set of sights (i.e. the lasergrips) was necessary where I had never needed nor wanted them before......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i would have one on a 38 S&W Air Weight if any one of them, plan on getting one.</div></div>

I have Crimson Trace grips on the Smith 342 which is often my carry gun in the summer. They are a definite aid to fast short-range shooting of a short-barreled weapon with its short sight radius.

Larry Vickers makes that same point in the link posted above.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't forget, while you're puttinig your laser on the bad guy and hoping to intimidate him you're also informing him about your locations with a nice red line pointing right back to you.

Most people will shoot considerably slower with a laser. It takes longer to position a laser where you want it than it does the sights. It is also much more difficult to do since the laser is actually on the target which may be a considerable distance from you and the sights are at arms length (preferrably

Have fun explaining to a jury why you shot someone in the head but your intent was only to stop them after an attorney has convinced a jury that with a laser you are easily capable of shooting a person's eye out at 200 yards with a pistol.

I whole heartedly agree that lasers can be very beneficial in training. I'll never be caught dead with one on a defensive pistol, or rifle for that matter unless my vision has deteriorated to the point that I can no longer see the sights.

Just my humble opinion.
</div></div>

My thoughts are that this guy nailed it.... read SLOWLY....

When I received my ccw, the sheriff told me, for my sake, not to have any lasers or lights on my carry. That if it is used in self defense then they could become a big issue, and be the differnce between guilty and not guilty. Persnonally, I think the most important part of drawing and shooting quick, is wether or not the pistol is balanced. This should allow you to pick up the sights a lot quicker, and help you engage quicker too.

The laser does make an excellent training aid with trigger control.