• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision LaserMax IR laser....switching AWAY from pulse mode???

wksinatl

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 30, 2001
Atlanta, Ga
Just got a LaserMax IR laser to use with my pvs-14. It came set on pulse mode. I prefer the steady ON mode. I tried switching it per the directions but can't get it to switch. Mine uses the "toggle" the switch on/off method. It seems there are (or were) models that uses an allen wrench in the battery compartment. I have left 2 messages at LaserMax and sent 2 emails. After 4 days still no reply. Not impressed.....

Can anyone help?

thanks,
Keith

Just got a LaserMax IR laser to use with my pvs-14. It came set on pulse mode. I prefer the steady ON mode. I tried switching it per the directions but can't get it to switch. Mine uses the "toggle" the switch on/off method. It seems there are (or were) models that uses an allen wrench in the battery compartment. I have left 2 messages at LaserMax and sent 2 emails. After 4 days still no reply. Not impressed.....

Can anyone help?

thanks,
Keith

Don't panic - the adjustment screw will "stick" a bit when you first try to adjust it out of pulse mode. The trick is to loosen and tighten the adjustment screw a few times, and then the mechanism will "unstick" and readily switch between steady mode (when tightened) and pulse mode (when loosened).

When you loosen the screw, go only until the top of the screw rises just a little bit above the plane of the plastic housing around it, don't remove it from the housing. When you tighten, do not be too aggressive. Use only the pressure of your finger tips rolling the long, vertical shaft of the hex wrench - don't crank it using the short L-arm.

Just to be sure that you're adjusting the correct screw, it is inside the battery compartment - you have to take the cover off. It is the silver colored hex screw on the right side (when the laser is pointing away from you).

BTW: your batteries will last twice as long with the laser set to pulse mode, versus steady on. Plus, the pulsing dot gives more rapid, visual acquisition of the aiming dot for most users.

IR-V

IR-V....Thanks for the detailed reply. These are the instructions I got with the unit. I do see the holes you are talking about. Maybe they are able to be toggled using both procedures? What I do know is the way I tried didn't work so I'll give your way a try. Thanks again for your help.

I did read where the batteries last 2x longer w/ pulse and faster to acquire target.

regards,
Keith

EDIT......I was able to switch it using the toggle off/on method. I tried the allen wrench way and there is no allen head in that hole. I heard there were 2 versions and different ways to toggle the pulse. Bottom line is we are GTG and appreciate the help!

Last edited:
If you do need lasermax's CS, it is very good in my experience. I have a direct number for Bob, one of their CS reps, if anyone needs it. He was very prompt and helpful to me.

IR-V....Thanks for the detailed reply. These are the instructions I got with the unit. I do see the holes you are talking about. Maybe they are able to be toggled using both procedures? What I do know is the way I tried didn't work so I'll give your way a try. Thanks again for your help.

I did read where the batteries last 2x longer w/ pulse and faster to acquire target.

regards,
Keith

EDIT......I was able to switch it using the toggle off/on method. I tried the allen wrench way and there is no allen head in that hole. I heard there were 2 versions and different ways to toggle the pulse. Bottom line is we are GTG and appreciate the help!

Keith,

You're welcome. Glad you were able to gain the adjustments you needed via the on-board, electronic switching. The Lasermax UNI will have either the manual electronic or manual hard switching for beam pulse, but not both.

Enclosed below is a photo of a Lasermax UNI-IR 5mW (Class IIIa / LE only). With the exception of the higher power output, it is identical to the Class I UNI-IR. This one has the manual hard switch via the adjustment screw inside the battery housing. In the photos, you can see the screw, which is "in the white" (not blackened).

wjb036.jpg

I have to say that I am very impressed with the Lasermax UNI-IR as a no-fluff device that gets the job more than done. It's small size and light weight, as you can see in the above photos, mounted to the Beretta PX4-SD, is unparalleled for compact-ness and unobtrusiveness; and the fiberglass reinforced polymer on the housing is very strong and tough. The newer produced UNI lasers (since 2009) have an improved design on their battery compartment, which gives a tighter, more water resistant seal.

Furthermore, the UNI lasers can take just about any recoil / Gs you can throw at them; which is the result of their sturdy construction (and potting of the laser components and electronics) and extremem light weight.

Though the LE only / Class IIIa UNI-IR has 5x the output of the UNI Class I, I have to say that the Class I version is really more than enough laser, projecting an IR aiming dot that is easily visible out to 500 yards.

It is also a versatile unit. The topcover has a one-slot picatinny rail built-in, that enables the UNI-IR laser to be used modularly with an outboard white-light / flashlight, or white-light and visible laser combo such as the Streamlight TLR and Surefire X400.

Best of all, the UNI-IR is relatively cheap - so there's no heartburn or heartache with using it hard, and if its gets lost or smashed (which will pretty much take getting run over by an armored vehicle).

I like my expensive, advanced solutions as much as anyone (e.g. PEQ-6 on the Mk23 pistol in the above image), but sometimes one just has to admire great value, which is what the Lasermax UNI-IR delivers.

IR-V

Thanks guys. Got a call from a guy from LaserMax.He apologized and said the call got sent to the wrong place. We are GTG and no hard feelings.

Keith