• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

last imput on AI Rifle

thorstenson1030

Private
Minuteman
Jun 14, 2014
Kill Devil Hills, NC
Getting ready to drop the hammer on new rifle.
My club is starting a 300-600yd league and im getting ready, can't wait.
Talking to Euro Optics and Mile High but Mile high is out of fixed AE's.
Reason for AE is my budget of $3000 to 3300 max for rifle as I still need good optics, rings, and bipod.
AT would be my first choice but $ rules right now.
Question I can pick up a .308 20" with muzzle break for$3000 or go $300 more for a .260 26" plain.
What's your imput and if you have optics imput as well. I like NF Benchrest and close to my $1000-1300 savings I put aside.
Was looking at a Sako trg22 but .260 jumps way out of my range would have to go .308 only.
Thanks

The question would be do you reload? Tons of match .308 ammo available and 300-600 is not that far at all for a .308 and you won't be burning barrels.

.260 is great but if you don't reload you are going to find it's hard to get good ammo. I wouldn't count on any local stores for 260. Also I kind of cringe when I shoot my 260 short range because I know I am just burning up my barrel. It's just money right...

Last edited:
Barrel life is a wash between the two. They both push the same bullet about the same speed with about the same pressure and same charge weight. It's going to come down to your shooting habits. Anybody who says otherwise is talking out of their ass.

1. IMPUT isn't a real word.

2. Look at the clubs rules and what division certain calibers may put you in. Some
May have 308 only and shooting anything else will put you in competition with purpose built benchrest guns.

I love my .260 and wouldn't trade it, but for your stated purpose, I'd likely stick to the .308. It will certainly be easier on your budget for ammo and the barrel will last 3-4 times a .260/6.5 creed.

Have you checked the For Sale section here for what you want?

Tough call. They are really cutting the price on .308's, almost to the point that you can pick up a spare .243 or .260 barrel and have both for the price of a single .260
I bought a .308 24" threaded and put a .243 barrel on it for now (varmints). The action wrench (Dennis@ Adams) and Wheeler vise is 200 and it's a 15 minute job. (I checked it with Go/nogo and field gage), it was fine.

I also have an AE260 26" threaded for a brake or my suppressor, it's a nice setup. Can't go wrong with any AI.

Getting ready to drop the hammer on new rifle.
My club is starting a 300-600yd league and im getting ready, can't wait.
Talking to Euro Optics and Mile High but Mile high is out of fixed AE's.
Reason for AE is my budget of $3000 to 3300 max for rifle as I still need good optics, rings, and bipod.
AT would be my first choice but $ rules right now.
Question I can pick up a .308 20" with muzzle break for$3000 or go $300 more for a .260 26" plain.
What's your imput and if you have optics imput as well. I like NF Benchrest and close to my $1000-1300 savings I put aside.
Was looking at a Sako trg22 but .260 jumps way out of my range would have to go .308 only.
Thanks

Get the AT in .308 and skimp on your optics until you come across the right scope at the right money. I know most people will say don't skimp on optics but you when you get some decent glass you can put the other scope away as a back up. I put a $100 scope on my AW for a year until I could afford the S&B I wanted.

Shoot the .308 and get a 260 later, the new quick barrel system will make it very easy to swap and change for fun.