• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision Last Night

softcock

novice judgmental prick
Minuteman
  • Mar 24, 2006
    Oregon
    Went out last night, and was a zero Moon all night and real dark just the way I like it, with a fresh bailed fields . Made a few calls but did not call in shit . Was weird also, Never even heard distant Packs light-up howling the whole night long. I at least hear them once or twice minimum when out all night. was just complete silence coyote wise .
    But.. when I was gearing-up before my hike out in the fields I glanced up with pvs14 and caught the ISS cruising on by . Then after I hiked out there and got to my spot and setup tripod an rifle . I did get to see the Comet (neowise ) last night, and got to use a little magnification on rifle scope with the Simrad to really appreciate the object. Lots of meteors popping in and burning up last night also in time I was ot there . ended up crawling into bed for couple hours at 05 this morning .

Also... worse than not getting a shot off at any Coyotes . I noticing how just obnoxious some of the Satellites are getting to be up there, contaminating what was once a pretty pure viewing experience . Some pretty bright when the Sun on other side of horizon is reflecting off them. Puts a good size bloom on the pvs14 when looking at them. There getting to be a lot of them up there just sitting, and thousands more to come.

Went out last night, and was a zero Moon all night and real dark just the way I like it, with a fresh bailed fields . Made a few calls but did not call in shit . Was weird also, Never even heard distant Packs light-up howling the whole night long. I at least hear them once or twice minimum when out all night. was just complete silence coyote wise .
    But.. when I was gearing-up before my hike out in the fields I glanced up with pvs14 and caught the ISS cruising on by . Then after I hiked out there and got to my spot and setup tripod an rifle . I did get to see the Comet (neowise ) last night, and got to use a little magnification on rifle scope with the Simrad to really appreciate the object. Lots of meteors popping in and burning up last night also in time I was ot there . ended up crawling into bed for couple hours at 05 this morning .

Also... worse than not getting a shot off at any Coyotes . I noticing how just obnoxious some of the Satellites are getting to be up there, contaminating what was once a pretty pure viewing experience . Some pretty bright when the Sun on other side of horizon is reflecting off them. Puts a good size bloom on the pvs14 when looking at them. There getting to be a lot of them up there just sitting, and thousands more to come.

Sounds like a nice night despite the lack of yotes.

You want to see obnoxious satellites?

Elon Musks' new internet for everyone satellite train flew over my house a month or so ago

I live just outside a city with real light pollution and that "train", literally, of satellites was very visible.

ISS is cool when it passes over.

Wanted to take the kids last Saturday to see Neowise but they absolutely shit the bed on me whining about not wanting to go. Screw em if they think they will see it 7000 years from now..

You want to see obnoxious satellites?

Elon Musks' new internet for everyone satellite train flew over my house a month or so ago

I get a laugh out of the people complaining about Starlink trains. I caught one by random chance with NVGs while out coyote hunting a few months ago, it's cool to see. I also live in an area where Starlink being available will be a huge asset to us, especially when we get smacked by another bad hurricane.

Look up because someone is looking down on you.

The Train is something to see when it rolls over head.

Only going to get MOAR crowded up there.

Look up because someone is looking down on you.

The Train is something to see when it rolls over head.

Only going to get MOAR crowded up there.

Visibility on Starlink will be reduced as the individual satellites raise their orbit, and SpaceX is making rolling changes to the design with each launch to further reduce visibility.

As for crowded..... Space is a lot bigger than most people realize. We're a LONG way from crowded up there.

Bring back candles and smoke signals. Light and signal pollution suck, as much as air and environmental pollution.

Call me a Crusty Ol' Curmudgeon.

Until I read this thread a couple days ago I did not do much gazing at the sky with my 14.....usually when the gear comes out we are in hunt mode and being I am the buggy driver go right to bidness. But you keys tipped me off to things I am missing so with a lull between sets last night we stared at the sky till our necks hurt.

We saw a lot of objects up there moving rapidly in straight lines, and I am not sure what all I am seeing......is there any guide, phone app, etc. which gives that info? I assume some of what we saw were the satellites mentioned.

Yeah, the straight lines are satellites and other pieces of stuff in orbit, streaking by at warp factor snot. I think there is an unclassified smart phone feed/app that labels some of the major crap up there, but for everything, you'd need the feed from the JSPOC (Joint SPace Operations Center), now run by the Space Force.

NASA has some apps as well...

I'm kind of jealous of you guys. Here in SoCal, this time of year you can't see crap at night. The marine layer rolls in each evening, and doesn't burn off until late morning...so very little to see except clouds (unless you drive up to Palomar or something similar).

Reactions: BamaSE
    Yeah, the straight lines are satellites and other pieces of stuff in orbit, streaking by at warp factor snot. I think there is an unclassified smart phone feed/app that labels some of the major crap up there, but for everything, you'd need the feed from the JSPOC (Joint SPace Operations Center), now run by the Space Force.

NASA has some apps as well...

Thanks!