• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Last step before Swarovski or Hensoldt?

Katahdin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2010
Cordova, Maryland U.S.A.
I am looking to upgrade my spotter (Leupold Mark 4 12-40 w/ TMR) for a 60x spotting scope. I have used a Swarovski STS80 during several comps and have looked through an older Leica and Vortex Razor so I have an idea of what's available. This will be used on the range and during comps as I don't hunt. I have used the Swarvoski during several paper target stages at 300/500/600 to spot bullet holes when the conditions were good.

I was looking at a used Swarovski STR80 MRAD but its still 2.5 times the cost of the new Vortex Razor Gen 2 27-60. I was impressed with the older Vortex I looked through even though the Swarvoski and Leica was better. I don't need a whole lot of low light capability looking for animals. A reticle would be nice but not a deal breaker as I will probably keep my leupold for now. I have never looked through and STR80 or Spotter 60 (and probably never will) but everyone raves about them.

I guess my question is what would be your choice in spotter (the last step) before you made the jump to Swarvoski or Hensoldt?

Is the Swarovski and Hensoldt really 3 times better than the Vortex?

For those that have the new Vortex 27-60 how do you like it? There does not appear to be a lot of info on youtube or the hide.

I just don't know if I want that much money tied up in a spotter and I can get the Vortex for 1/3 the price of new STR80 or Spotter 60.

If you want the best of the best look at a Kowa Spotter. If you want the best under $1500.00 take a look at the Athlon Cronus 20-60x86ED.
We'd be glad to discuss spotters with you. We are in after 9 on Monday, give us a call, 516-217-1000

I’ve been very impressed with my buddies vortex razor spotter.

Howa if you wanna look at birds and other stupid shit.

No question, Hendsolt if you’re spotting shooters.
F102DA2F-FBAE-4CB6-ACE5-A2ABBEE69378.jpeg

I've got the Vortex 27-60, it's a good value but it gets dark towards the high end of the magnification range. I wish it was lower magnification, I think an 85mm objective with a 12-40 power would be perfect, actually what would be perfect is if Vortex would make a Mark 4 clone.

Just got my razor 27-60x85 and so far I think it’s great value for the money. I bought mine here used and with the vortex warranty I definitely would not be scared to buy used. I also didn’t want to have too much money tied up in a spotter so I went with an amazing warranty and great value over the best of the best. Just rigged up my phoneskope last night to experiment with videos so I can start filming my hunts.

Reactions: Wyzrd
Thanks for the input guys, I’m definitely leaning towards the razor, I need one more riflescope for one of my rifles so this makes the most financial sense.

tna9001, why would the Vortex clone be preferred over the current Mark 4 offering?

I'm asking because I'm looking for something that size and am trying to weigh my options.

It seems like everyone shooting benchrest and f class are using the Kowa spotters. But the high end kowa only a few hundred cheaper then the Swarovski.

I really like the idea of a reticle but I'm leaning kowa right now after delaying the purchase for so long.

I like my Leica but it doesn’t have a reticle. I’m a hensoldt fan but there is no way I would ever spend 5k on a spotter

I should also mention I prefer a straight eyepiece, which I believe eliminates the Athlon. Also if I’m going spend $2.5k I will just spend the extra on a Swarovski and be done with it. I guess I just want to know what my options are under $2k, would love to hear some more input before I make a final decision.

As has been mentioned, don't sleep on Kowa. I use the Kowa 88 and I couldn't be happier. It is a little heavy, but the performance is worth it to me. Best glass I've ever seen in any optic.

I guess my question is what would be your choice in spotter (the last step) before you made the jump to Swarvoski or Hensoldt?

The last step before making the jump to a Henny 45 was spending a bunch of time looking through Matt G.'s from team AI next to my MK4. After several range trips together I realized how much wind I couldn't see through my MK4. My Choice in spotter now would be a NF TS-80 or the Swo. Henny doesn't support the shooting sports or American shooters. At this point I've spent a ton of time at matches looking through NF, Swo, and Henny side my side literally. The Swo has the best glass and the worst FOV, The glass in the NF and the Spot45 look the same and when you run the mag on the 45 to 20 it's the same FOV of the NF at 20.

Is the Swarovski and Hensoldt really 3 times better than the Vortex? YES, that's where the money goes, in the glass.

For those that have the new Vortex 27-60 how do you like it? There does not appear to be a lot of info on youtube or the hide.

If you want OMG jawdroppingly good spotting, the Swaro BTX with the 95 objective was bar none the best thing I've looked through. My squad mate had one at the ELR PRS match and we all spent the weekend fighting to be the one who got to spot with it. Spotting with two eyes is just so much more comfortable. I ran my Mark 4 the first day but by the end of the match I had switched back to my Swaro 15 binos.

Just need to figure out which kidney I'm going to sell to pay for the BTX. :)

Th
If you want OMG jawdroppingly good spotting, the Swaro BTX with the 95 objective was bar none the best thing I've looked through. My squad mate had one at the ELR PRS match and we all spent the weekend fighting to be the one who got to spot with it. Spotting with two eyes is just so much more comfortable. I ran my Mark 4 the first day but by the end of the match I had switched back to my Swaro 15 binos.

Just need to figure out which kidney I'm going to sell to pay for the BTX. :)

I have a Swaro BTX 95 and use it for ELR. What a great piece of equipment. Tough to stomach but well worth it. Check around .... There are places that will help reduce the overall kidney donation.
Good shooting
Chris Schmidt

tna9001, why would the Vortex clone be preferred over the current Mark 4 offering?

I'm asking because I'm looking for something that size and am trying to weigh my options.

The Mark 4 is overpriced for what it is IMO, I bet Vortex could make a clone with better glass for less. Ive used a Mark 4 and for $1200 it be a great spotter but its way over priced.

BTX...sold my 15x56 and 20-50x80. would never go back. all day comfort with 2 eyes, as mentioned above. easy to stay into the game, spotting trace etc.

I am going to buy the 95 for more static work, but currently use the 85 and 65 because I pack into the backcountry so much. When I carry my AX in my G3 pack I take the 85mm and when I go light the 65 with my Blaser in my KUIU packs.

Reactions: Sheldon N
I have used sworo leupuld and vortex razor Gen. I bought the Gen I because I wanted the reticle . I guide sheep elk and white tale hunts. The sworo wins in every round. But the vortex was close on its heels until you look at a dark animal in a dark background at first or last light. The sworo is in a different level to my eyes. My order of pick would be 1. Outfiters equipment I’m taking the best and the lightest I’m using sworo
2. Personal hunt under 3 day razor for performance and I have it paid for.
3. 3 days or more or sheep hunt I’m bring the leupold because the razor is heavy on a hunt we’re you cut your toothbrush in half to save weight.

Optolyth compact is worth a look if you haven't made a choice yet. I've use almost everything above you mentioned and its my only option other than hendsolt or swaro. The 30x wide angled eye piece with ranging reticle is incredible.

Reactions: jeffmedlin
The Mark 4 is overpriced for what it is IMO, I bet Vortex could make a clone with better glass for less. Ive used a Mark 4 and for $1200 it be a great spotter but its way over priced.

When i was developing a chassis and some do dads for Mk4 spotter i got soem of them from the Military and did comparison test them with chinese FFP spotters roughly 1/4 of the price and was considerably disapointed that Mk4 was spliting hairs with some chicom budget spotters ,so for now not even looking at the Leupold , saving pennies for the Hensold instead or Swaro.

First time I have heard about Optolyth.... did a little research, incredible optic for my needs. Would like to find a dealer that stocks them, so I could do a "Hands On".

Optolyth is a quality product but company slept over a decade nothing new developed so am not certian it is on par with same price point spotters. Your US dealer is likely Valdada so you get ready for soem hate

Last edited:
First time I have heard about Optolyth.... did a little research, incredible optic for my needs. Would like to find a dealer that stocks them, so I could do a "Hands On".
Correct, Valdada is who you need to talk to. If Val gives you any trouble, tell him Seth said to take good care of you.

Reactions: jeffmedlin
My brother and I played this same game two years ago, he went with the Vortex Razor. Last season we had a chance to sit and look through it and a Swaro side by side at a herd of elk about 2 miles away just before dark. The Swaro won hands down. I could count points with it and only tell it had horns with the Vortex, and as stated earlier when turned on 60 power the edges are dark and you definitely loose clarity. That being said I can often spot holes in paper at 600yrds with the Vortex.

Correct, Valdada is who you need to talk to. If Val gives you any trouble, tell him Seth said to take good care of you.

I bought an Optolyth TBG 80 september of last year, it has been a solid scope with great optics.

I bought mine on ebay, new in box, direct from Germany. 900 for the scope and 400 for the 30x fixed reticle eyepiece.

Optolyth compact is worth a look if you haven't made a choice yet. I've use almost everything above you mentioned and its my only option other than hendsolt or swaro. The 30x wide angled eye piece with ranging reticle is incredible.

So the 30x eyepiece will go in any of the spotters? I was confused about that as I've looked at them more than once. Love what I've seen just cant get the eyepiece figure figured out.

The 30x reticle eyepiece will fit the TBG 80, TBS 80, compact G and Compact S.

I beleive the S models have an angled eyepiece and the G models have a strait eyepiece.

The reticle eyepiece will, thread into and work with the 100mm scopes too, but would be useless because the magnification and hence the reticle angles/subtensions would be wrong.

https://swfa.com/optolyth-30x-eyepiece.html

Reactions: OzzyO20
I'm looking hard at the Meopta MeoPro 80 HD (20-60x80). In a side-by-side field test review done by Outdoor Life, July 2016, it beat out several more expensive scopes. The biggest factor was image quality both during daylight and low light conditions and high magnification. Also, it comes with a non-removable eyepiece making it less susceptible to moisture and dust. It is only available in angled eyepiece, which is OK for me since my neck doesn't work well anymore with the straight. Assembled in the USA with Euroglass components and transferable lifetime warranty. Although, not marketed toward the shooting crowd, it looks like a strong competitor with a decent price point of $1,599 and free shipping. I'm going to do more homework before laying out the money. If possible, I'm going to try to find a dealer within a-day-trip and a display model on hand.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/article...new-spotting-scopes-reviewed-ranked-and-rated
https://www.meoptasportsoptics.com/us/produkt/meopro-meopro-80-hd-1057/
https://www.eurooptic.com/meopta-meopro-hd-80-spotting-scope-598880.aspx

I'm looking hard at the Meopta MeoPro 80 HD (20-60x80). In a side-by-side field test review done by Outdoor Life, July 2016, it beat out several more expensive scopes. The biggest factor was image quality both during daylight and low light conditions and high magnification. Also, it comes with a non-removable eyepiece making it less susceptible to moisture and dust. It is only available in angled eyepiece, which is OK for me since my neck doesn't work well anymore with the straight. Assembled in the USA with Euroglass components and transferable lifetime warranty. Although, not marketed toward the shooting crowd, it looks like a strong competitor with a decent price point of $1,599 and free shipping. I'm going to do more homework before laying out the money. If possible, I'm going to try to find a dealer within a-day-trip and a display model on hand.

Meopta is good stuff, but go for the MeoStar if you can swing it. One tip is to look for a Cabelas brand Euro Instinct HD 20-70x82mm spotting scope. It's the same spotting scope as the Meostar S2 but without an interchangeable eyepiece. They can be found used under $1500, sometimes even much lower.

I've got the straight model and it's stunningly good, best thing this side of a Swarovski ATX.

I have spent time looking through all brands and respective models at all price levels. After critiquing them all I decided on a Kowa 883 with the TE-11WZ 25-60 eyepiece. The optical qualities of the Fluorite lens is unbelievable. My eyes simply see better with the Kowa 880 series optics than anything else out there.

What covers/cases are people running on their STR 80’s? Per eurooptic Swarovski does not make a stay on case for this model.