• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Photos Last Weekend of Buck Season in Cotulla, TX

jrhtx

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2006
Houston, TX
No deer but the hog was good size. Had to get the front end loader to get him to the house. No scale but guessing 250+
w/ 308 Patriot Lightweight

Re: Last Weekend of Buck Season in Cotulla, TX

wow now thats a beast
laugh.gif

Great hog!!! I bet he goes more than 250#. Gotta love those TX hogs and the Texans who shoot 'em. We hunt around Goliad and would love to see one that big, I guess we are hunting in the wrong place!

I'm thinking closer to 300.
That's a big one. Nice hog.

experience says 375+ awesome--I miss Tx so much--cannot wait to get back there after seeing pics like this---a big-bore upper
on an AR15 with an Eotech is the most fun I have ever had shooting hogs on the run!

Wow, nice hog! We have a few feral hogs running around up here in the north country and they are to be shot on sight! No, questions asked!

hey guys, that looks like some of the uper sized ones we get down here, in AUSTRALIA. they are everywhere and spreading fast!!!!

if you ever want a real fun experiance, i reccomed shooting them from a chopper as thats how its done by the pro shooters down here, but they are shooting 10,000+ in a few weeks.

thats hogs, not rounds.......lol

great pig mate,

cheers, jim

ps, if you ever feel like an interesting hunt, try crossing croc infested rivers up to your armpits in order to get to that prize boar on the other side...... just remember, crossing with a buddy exactly HALVES your chances of being eaten by a croc!!!!! hahahahaha

I thought he was 300+ also but without a scale, it is hard to tell. Trying to get him loaded was a bit#* for an old guy.

I have to find a place to do the head. I am going to have a European mount done. The better half hasn’t said anything about mounts in the house until I said hog (shoulder mount), and I she said NO! Skull is OK.

He should be sausage by now. Place in Sulphur, LA made a friend some outstanding smoked link sausage. Wish I could have found a fat doe to mix with it.

f*ck me dead, that's a big pig. I thought they were big down here...

Damn nice pig. Texas has to many of those, so a big thumbs up to you and keep shooting.

Thanks a lot of bacon! Congrats...

That is a great take. I plan to go boar hunting with my brother and father for the first time next month. I'm very excited. Do you have the boar butchered like a normal pig or is there another method as they are feral and have tougher meat? Well done and thanks for sharing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BERTMAN77MK2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">experience says 375+ ! </div></div>

hahaha. you must not have much experience with hogs then! that is a 275-300# hog just like he guessed. nice hog none the less. congrats

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a great take. I plan to go boar hunting with my brother and father for the first time next month. I'm very excited. Do you have the boar butchered like a normal pig or is there another method as they are feral and have tougher meat? Well done and thanks for sharing. </div></div>

Wild pigs are not as fat as domestic pigs so you may have to add some fat or pork butt when you process. Adding venison is always good but it is also lean so you need to add a little fat.

Boars can be good or bad. When you walk up on him and he has a bad smell, just haul him to the gut pile. If he doesn’t smell, skin him like anything else. We always cut off a small piece of meat and cook it in a skillet to see if the meat smells or has a bad taste. If not, you are good to go. I have never seen one that was less than 150 lbs that was bad.

I won’t say they don’t, BUT I have never seen a sow smell. Always check.

We have also caught piglets and did a “cut and release” program. They grow up big, don’t fight, or develop a smell issue.

Friend shot a big (200+ lb) boar outside Refugio, TX once that had 6” tusk. His testicles had not dropped as he matured. He had no fighting scars and no smell but HUGE TEETH.

I knew when I saw the picture that this was going to be from TX.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrhtx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: splean</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a great take. I plan to go boar hunting with my brother and father for the first time next month. I'm very excited. Do you have the boar butchered like a normal pig or is there another method as they are feral and have tougher meat? Well done and thanks for sharing. </div></div>

Wild pigs are not as fat as domestic pigs so you may have to add some fat or pork butt when you process. Adding venison is always good but it is also lean so you need to add a little fat.

Boars can be good or bad. When you walk up on him and he has a bad smell, just haul him to the gut pile. If he doesn&#146;t smell, skin him like anything else. We always cut off a small piece of meat and cook it in a skillet to see if the meat smells or has a bad taste. If not, you are good to go. I have never seen one that was less than 150 lbs that was bad.

I won&#146;t say they don&#146;t, BUT I have never seen a sow smell. Always check.

We have also caught piglets and did a &#147;cut and release&#148; program. They grow up big, don&#146;t fight, or develop a smell issue.

Friend shot a big (200+ lb) boar outside Refugio, TX once that had 6&#148; tusk. His testicles had not dropped as he matured. He had no fighting scars and no smell but HUGE TEETH.
</div></div>

Very interesting stuff. Thanks for the info!

NICE hog !!

My nephew likes it also , but just asked me " Is that guy a FUDD ?? " , I blew beer all over his head , out my nose , good thing the little shit was in the way of the keyboard ......

I don't normally tell another man this but, nice pig.