• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes [Late] PA PLX 1-8 Compact review

Bakwa

Prophetic Marksman
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Mar 22, 2017
    FL
    I took the Primary Arms PLX 1-8 Compact Mil reticle and ran it in two back-to-back DMR competitions in the same month. Here are my findings from a practical precision perspective.

720FA1A5-10D4-4B0C-A9FA-E4E53953A5B7.jpeg

Size and Weight: The overall size makes it work well on small frame AR's where size and bulk are of concern. It is in fact comparable to the NX8 1-8 in weight and stature, thus it fulfills the same roles.

898FED60-4D2A-44E2-AE14-C863F50B6550.jpeg

Glass: The glass isn't bad. It's not quite Razor clear to me, but it's a definite step-up from Philippines glass quality. Edge clarity at max power is appropriate for its price range. Think NXS 2.5-10 edge clarity. I can observe and identify targets well enough to use the optic comfortably out to 850yds, all in the FL summer heat where merage gets bad at ~700yds.

847ACF43-B9C2-4C60-B1E6-C8B0E68BB973.jpeg

Adjustments and Reticle: This unit has capped turrets, so using the reticle to hold over targets is the way. Which brings us to reticle choice. I've been using the Mil reticle in my PLX1-8C. When I saw that there was a Mil based reticle, I decided that it would be the most practical for my use case, because I enjoy handling my own DOPE and want to be as precise as possible. The temptation from this Mil reticle is that I can just run a DOPE card on my person and derive immediate precise firing solutions using this optic. After using the reticle in the field and during the competitions, I refined my opinions of this optic [Specifically concerning the reticle choices available for the PLX1-8C]. To put it bluntly, I did not like the Mil reticle very much at all. I easily got lost in it and had to frequently go back to figure out where I needed to be. The design appears intuitive until you want to get behind it and take shots in a hurry. I also can't stand the chevron at the center of the reticle. Again, I feel like I tricked myself into thinking I use this scope as a LPVO precision optic like the March 1-10, but in reality it's just supposed to be a [good enough] fast onto target scope like the OG NX8 1-8. This is more of a gripe with the reticle and not the scope, but with the PLX1-8C only coming in three reticle options... The Mil reticle isn't ideal for the only non-BDC option. That said, I've also gotten behind the PLX1-8C with the Meters and Yards reticles. They seem to be well thought out and usable BDC reticles. I wish I liked BDC reticles more.

8E98B094-E085-4B1B-9BCF-69837B47F96F.jpeg

Durability: I only shot less than 1,000rds using this optic, so I don't have a ton of data. That said, it seemed to hold up fine over the course of two DMR comps and playing around on a flat range.

66052BAB-6E05-4923-883E-0325921D3868.jpeg

Conclusion: I believe this scope should be a viable option for a general purpose build or for fast DMR type work [*with conditions*]. This scope really shines with an easier to intuit BDC reticle. I think that's how PA intended it in the first place as well, but people like me demand Mil reticles that aren't caliber dependent and this is what we get. This overall review was very bittersweet. This scope did some things right, and other things that tricked me into thinking it was something that it was not. My advice is to stick with the BDC in the PLX1-8C. If you want a LPVO with a Mil base reticle, save for something with a FC-DMX reticle or similar.

Cheers

Last edited:
    Nice review!

What exactly is it that made the reticle easy to "get lost in"? Just the lack of numbering on the sides?

Reactions: Bakwa
    Nice review!

What exactly is it that made the reticle easy to "get lost in"? Just the lack of numbering on the sides?
    At 6 or 8 power, the markings are cluttered enough that without more reference points, it's easy to loose where you're at.
    Say your hold is 8.3 mils of elevation and .7 mils of windage on a 2moa target. On the clock, it's easy to switch from a hold on a closer target, then have to take your time ensuring you're at the right sub-tension and favoring the right side of that sub-tension. There are a number of other reticles where I haven't had as much of a problem with this. Tree and non tree types.

Last edited:
    I also have the PLX C with Mil reticle. The reticle is my number one gripe.

Both the meter and yards BDC versions have their own negative quirks as well. It's a shame PA tries to be just a bit too clever with the reticle design.

I keep looking at the FC-DMx longingly.

Love the bdc meters(the most simple of all 3), I just zeroed it in yards and can quickly convert the ranging from meters to yards IF I ever needed that option. Good review.