• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Lately I'm pondering a 280 AI using 180gr ELDM

xsn10s

Private
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2006
Eastern Oregon
I'm considering a 280 AI with 26" barrel either magnum taper or light varmint. A slightly heavier do all hunting rifle. I've read good things about the 180gr ELDM's on game so that's what'll I'd concentrate on. Who out there is using a combination similar to this? I could go 7mm RM but I have a 30-06 and a 270 win so rebarreling would be easy. Thanks.

You reload I assume? Take a look at the 280 Sherman, don't have one, don't know much about it other than what I hear its closest to mag performance w/ 06 bolt face.

I always thought if I ever built a custom hunter it would be 280/280AI as I like 284 diameter bullets.

Not much help to what you ask I know but good luck anyway.

Reactions: xsn10s
Yes I reload, been reloading for 30 years. I did look at the 280 Sherman and though I like it, I decided the extra cost wasn't to my liking. I have a ton of 270 win and 30-06 brass so I could convert that. 280 AI Hornady dies aren't expensive compared to the 280 Sherman which are close to 300 bucks. If I can get 2900 fps with the 280 AI I'll stay supersonic past a mile according to JBM. So out of the setup I'm thinking it would be a good hunting rifle at normal hunting distances. And yet I could possibly shoot varmints to 1k and targets to a mile.

You reload I assume? Take a look at the 280 Sherman, don't have one, don't know much about it other than what I hear its closest to mag performance w/ 06 bolt face.

I always thought if I ever built a custom hunter it would be 280/280AI as I like 284 diameter bullets.

Not much help to what you ask I know but good luck anyway.
Thanks for the input.

Right now just rats, chucks, badgers and varmints in general. Life responsibilities limit my hunting efforts right now. later on bucks, bulls maybe a cow elk will be on the list.

I have a .280AI. Great round for hunting.
I run the 175 Berger Elite @ 2975fps from my 26" 1:9". Awesome bullet. Great accuracy. Big game load.
I also have a "lighter" load for varmints/medium game. 160 TMK @ 2991. It is NOT fur friendly though. I almost cut a coyote in half @ 40ish yards a couple weeks ago. Brutal round.

I run the 175 Berger Elite @ 2975fps from my 26" 1:9". Awesome bullet. Great accuracy. Big game load.
I also have a "lighter" load for varmints/medium game. 160 TMK @ 2991. It is NOT fur friendly though. I almost cut a coyote in half @ 40ish yards a couple weeks ago. Brutal round.
Hey Lance thanks for the info. I'm xnsn10s over at the "Long Range" forum. I finally reactivated this old account on the Hide.

Reactions: lancetkenyon
That load will work too. it's a tough choice. Your 7mm RM load is pretty good too. I'll make up my mind once I sell off some more rifles to pay for the builds.

Reactions: lancetkenyon
280AI in a lite weight stock/chassis with a medium contour Bartlein left gain twist should cover most hunting situations!

280AI in a lite weight stock/chassis with a medium contour Bartlein left gain twist should cover most hunting situations!
Yes and I have a pushfeed M70 30-06 FWT in a factory McMillan stock. I got it pretty cheap because the PO was honest about a pitted barrel. Shoots fine so I never rebarreled it. VariXIII with Premier Reticle Mildot. I think that was be a good candidate for a FWT contour 24" 280AI barrel.

Just started running one myself. My barrel hammered from 57.5 to 58.5 grains H4831sc 180 Bergers hybrid or vld. I settled on 58 grains @ 2830 fps.
What the specs on your rifle? That load would go 200 yards beyond the better 30-06 loads while maintaining 1500 ft/lbs. I like that.

I have been a 30-06 fan for yrs, but I think anything an ‘06 will do a 280 will do better. I think 280AI would make a great hunting rifle. Basically 7mm Rem mag without hassle of belt. Ld with lighter bullets and it will make 1 flat shooting deer rifle

I have been a 30-06 fan for yrs, but I think anything an ‘06 will do a 280 will do better. I think 280AI would make a great hunting rifle. Basically 7mm Rem mag without hassle of belt. Ld with lighter bullets and it will make 1 flat shooting deer rifle
That's what I was thinking. Originally I was thinking between a 7mm RM or a 300 WM. But the reality is I like to shoot a lot but cannot afford to rebarrel every year. So a 280 AI makes more sense for me. Plus the recoil should be inline with the 06, just better ballistics as you mentioned.

Have a 284, one 28” tube and one 26”. Rl 17 is best for speed there but get the 180s eldm up to 2875 FPS accurately well bellow pressure signs. On the 26” with 4831sc got right around 2800 but closer to max load prior to pressure (just a more accurate load then lower). So 280AI should definitely be above those by around 100 FPS. Personally have shot rl 17 from 40 deg-110 deg without noticing huge speed changes or pressure issues but stayed a little off max on purpose.

I think I would personally go with the (straight) 284 win also. It may not (won’t) have the speed of the 280AI, but may very likely be a more accurate and easier to load for rifle.

Reactions: Rmk9494
I shoot a 280ai with 162’s and it is fantastic. Real killer
Big fan of the 280ackley.

Berger 175 Elite Hunters are what I plan for my build when it's finished ( 7 SAW II ) kinda a SA 280 without fire forming!