• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Latest Barrel Ive Fit up

PFCSkoug

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2008
SE Wisconsin
Untitled-Grayscale-01.jpg

DSCN3554.jpg

DSCN3551.jpg

DSCN3541.jpg

Was just a simple rebarrel for a customer in CA.

Re: Latest Barrel Ive Fit up

How did you do the snakeskin pattern? My best guess was acid etching.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you do the snakeskin pattern? My best guess was acid etching. </div></div>

Actually it's done using the plastic mesh that barrel blanks (see pic) usually come in. Tie it really tight around the barrel and then bead blast it. If done right it turns out real nice.

This stuff:
mesh.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alderleet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you do the snakeskin pattern? My best guess was acid etching. </div></div>

Barrels come in a plastic protective wrap that look like the pattern on that barrel. Just polish the barrel, slip the wrap back on and fix it tight. Blast the barrel and remove the wrap.

Nice, thanks for sharing.

Doesn't look like you cut a relief on your crown. Did you crown using a steady rest?

How are you marking your barrels? I just bought a Lectroetch, but haven't used it yet.

Ya the pattern isn't to super top secret when he teaches all of his students to do it.

All of the work on the barrel was done through the head stock, and we use a New Hermes Engraving Machine. That font is a Single line Script.

As far as any relief on the crown, Speedy has found through all of his shooting that a perfectly flat 90* to the bore crown gave the best accuracy for him, so that's what we do