• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Latest Engraved Colt

Southern Custom

Master Engraver
Minuteman
  • I hang out here mainly for bolt gun info but I just wrapped up this 4 month project and thought I’d show her off. Name on the slide withheld to protect the innocent.
    This started life as a bare bones Colt 1911 70 series. Mainspring housing, trigger and thumb safety replaced with earlyColt carbon steel parts. Entire gun refinished to prep it as a canvas. These guns leave the factory fairly rough by engraver standards. Colt factory lettering filed off to make room for lettering and artwork. Extensive 24k inlay. Synthetic ivory grips by me. (Gun is leaving the country and real ivory won’t fly) Around 300 hours of labor.
    Finished in an antique grey. Small parts nitre blued by John Powers of Powers Metalworks. Case by Steven Parker- SAP Fine Furniture. Likely the most detailed Colt I’ve ever engraved. On to the next one...
    BF091919-043A-49F0-91BD-ADC4FE043DF5.jpeg
    632AEF55-3058-4D72-B539-18E89AA1BAB3.jpeg
    2BC066D9-59AA-4C49-B850-A9035AF78709.jpeg
    BF1F7CCE-43C5-455C-8329-718C677BE6D2.jpeg
    E8A9B05F-FF8D-40C5-9245-4050660644A8.jpeg
    DBD36E4C-FFFA-40F4-9245-68D8BCC8D72C.jpeg
    61AA4006-0C77-4A22-945D-5E003F9345B3.jpeg

Wow!! Stunning work. I know, I know...if you have to ask, you probably can't afford it...

Regardless, I've got a set of ivories in the safe like that just in case I find the pistol and ever decide to have the work done...

Nitre blue makes me horny.

Im not an engraving guy but that is old world classic.

I hang out here mainly for bolt gun info but I just wrapped up this 4 month project and thought I’d show her off. Name on the slide withheld to protect the innocent.
    This started life as a bare bones Colt 1911 70 series. Mainspring housing, trigger and thumb safety replaced with earlyColt carbon steel parts. Entire gun refinished to prep it as a canvas. These guns leave the factory fairly rough by engraver standards. Colt factory lettering filed off to make room for lettering and artwork. Extensive 24k inlay. Synthetic ivory grips by me. (Gun is leaving the country and real ivory won’t fly) Around 300 hours of labor.
    Finished in an antique grey. Small parts nitre blued by John Powers of Powers Metalworks. Case by Steven Parker- SAP Fine Furniture. Likely the most detailed Colt I’ve ever engraved. On to the next one...View attachment 7465245View attachment 7465246View attachment 7465248View attachment 7465249View attachment 7465250View attachment 7465251View attachment 7465252
    Very, very nice. Really quite spectacular and wow...that's a lot of gold inlay. May I ask about how long it took to complete this commission?

I have a Win SX-1 with full engraving from Ken Hurst (who sadly is not longer with us) and have nothing but the highest respect for the art form and its practitioners.

I have watched Ken sitting at the end of a wall shelf where his ball vice was mounted....tick, tick, tick goes the hammer and hand chisel. He did it all with manual tool....no pneumatic engraver for Ken. Yes, it took some years to get this project done! But its in a coffee table book (haha)....Great American Engravers of the 20th Century. Ken told me that when he began many decades ago, he made his own chisels out of case hardened nails!!

Not to hijack your thread, but thought as an engraver you might enjoy seeing them. In the white before bluing

Buck's engraved SuperX in white-4 lower res.jpg
    Buck's engraved SuperX in white-6 lower res.jpg

I hang out here mainly for bolt gun info but I just wrapped up this 4 month project and thought I’d show her off. Name on the slide withheld to protect the innocent.
    Finished in an antique grey. Small parts nitre blued by John Powers of Powers Metalworks. Case by Steven Parker- SAP Fine Furniture. Likely the most detailed Colt I’ve ever engraved. On to the next one...View attachment 7465245View attachment 7465246View attachment 7465248View attachment 7465249View attachment 7465250View attachment 7465251View attachment 7465252
    Amazing work!

I have trouble writing my own name and you do work this outstanding. Congrats on some mighty fine work.

Very, very nice. Really quite spectacular and wow...that's a lot of gold inlay. May I ask about how long it took to complete this commission?

I have a Win SX-1 with full engraving from Ken Hurst (who sadly is not longer with us) and have nothing but the highest respect for the art form and its practitioners.

I have watched Ken sitting at the end of a wall shelf where his ball vice was mounted....tick, tick, tick goes the hammer and hand chisel. He did it all with manual tool....no pneumatic engraver for Ken. Yes, it took some years to get this project done! But its in a coffee table book (haha)....Great American Engravers of the 20th Century. Ken told me that when he began many decades ago, he made his own chisels out of case hardened nails!!

Not to hijack your thread, but thought as an engraver you might enjoy seeing them. In the white before bluing

View attachment 7465570View attachment 7465571
    This gun took approximately 300 hours to design, prep and engrave. The Hurst gun is beautiful

Reactions: Baron23
    that gun id dead sexy congrats I will not covet my neighbors firearm but that is tempting ..