• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Latest in 3-Gun Optics????

MtGoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2003
Middleton, Idaho
Looking to finish my 3-gun AR and am wondering what the current "best" optic is for the 3-gun comps? Looking for a single optic for close in and distance. I believe the last rage was a dual optic set-up with a variable scope for long range and a dot sight off at a 45. I am hoping there is a single scope that "does it all well" as I am not adept at switching back and forth, magnified scope to dot and back. What do you all recommend?

Thanks
Pat

Re: Latest in 3-Gun Optics????

MtGoat,
I'm not sure if anything new is out, but some options are:

Leupold CQT, which is my favorite, its a true 0 power and then turn the rear of the sight and its 3 power. About $900

Elcan Specter, same type of sight, but has a quick throw lever that goes from 0 to 4 power, little bigger objective, but pricey, about $1500

The leupold MRT are decent scope, but the lowest setting is a 1 power and its hard to do CQB stages with them, some look over the top, but for longer distance it is a little more powerful than the other two.

IOR had a new one called the bulldog, but its $1200 also, its only 1x or 4x

this by no means is all of them, but some of the more popular variable power scopes in the 3 gun world.

The Trijicon TR24 Accupoint looks very nice. That would probably be my go to scope if I was getting one right now.

I saw that Trijicon had anounced these (TR24) but have not heard if they were shipping. Am wondering about the size of the triangle...if it is large enough for CQB and if the scopes have a first or second focal plane reticle?

I saw that IOR was coming out with a new scope and was wondering what might be available from NightForce and what the S&B scope was like???

Pat

Some of the top ones in use in no particular order.
Meopta K-dot 1-4 $600 to 700.
Burris XTR 1-4, make sure you get the new one which has daylight capable illumination. Around 600
S&B short dot, 1700 +
Trijicon
USO SN-4 1-4 or 1.5-6, 1350 depending on setup.
Eotech, $525
ACOG, $700 +
Swaro, 1.5-6, $1500
Irons
If you go to a major 3 gun event you will see all of these plus a dozen other options, try to look before you buy and see which works best for you.

If I had the money I'd get one of those March Tacticals in 1-10 variable.I prefer a 1-4 scope over the red dot sights but hate being stuck at 4x.

My #2 pick would be the Horus Vision Talon 1-4 with FFP and Hold over reticule.

Steve

I have used a Trijicon TA11 ACOG with the chevron reticle for the past few years in 3 guns comps and am happy with it. Any optic for 3 gun is a compromise between close and far shooting and it is kind of personal choice as to what works for you and the distances that are at the matches you shoot.

Have been running a Short Dot for about 3 years now . Best of both worlds , on 1 power with the dot on it is as bright as an Aimpoint and at 4 you have the magnification needed for distance .
Tried Aimpoint , IOR , and a CQT to get here . This one is here to stay .

Hey Steve

what is a March Tactical??

yes I have also been looking at Horus 1-4x FFP

No one mentioned the Nightforce 1-4x24 NXS. Illuminated true 1x to 4 power. I have been looking at them, anyone have one and if so, how do they like it? I'm not a 3 gun comp guy but interested in CQB optics that can also tackle a little distance if needed so I thought I might ask.

http://www.nightforceoptics.com/SCOPES_O...t1-4x24nxs.html

Whoops, never mind, I found another thread regarding these!

Yeah, if the March Tactical 1-10x24 scope included milrad adjustments and a mil dot or TMR like reticle, this would be the hottest thing going for 3 gun.

I have a S&B short dot and don't look back. There is no comparison, the best glass available.

Trijicon TR24 is a second focal plane reticle and they are shipping. The green triangle seems to be the most popular right now. This is a great choice for a 1x-4x in a 30mm tube and at around $800 it is not overpriced.