• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Latest version of my Magnetospeed "Magneto" Mount!

Tyler Kemp

Print Daddy
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2008
MO
mkmachining.com
Hi everyone,

We have our first batch of these almost entirely shipped to customers, just a few left to go. Wanted to post a few pics all mounted up to show the versatility.

Will mount to a picatinny or arca rail, can be ordered with no rod, or 12", 24" lengths. Uses standard 5/8" rod, although our stainless we ship with are probably prettier than what you'll find most places.

It's totally rigid enough to be used with barrels well over 30", suppressors, etc.

Why would you ever want this over a Labradar? For my personal use, I've got a range to 1200 yards but the targets are scattered around the edges of a field. I can track every single shot without having to reaim a chronograph, no point of impact shift, etc. Very handy to know if your ammo was why you just dropped a shot low or sent it high.

I'm going to leave the discounted "preorder" price up until we have these in stock. The next batch should be around 6-8 weeks off, didn't expect to sell the first batch before it was finished!

Tyler

Mine arrived yesterday, but work gets in the east of shooting. I'll be going to the range tomorrow, so I'll report back with my initial impressions

Hi everyone,

We have our first batch of these almost entirely shipped to customers, just a few left to go. Wanted to post a few pics all mounted up to show the versatility.

Will mount to a picatinny or arca rail, can be ordered with no rod, or 12", 24" lengths. Uses standard 5/8" rod, although our stainless we ship with are probably prettier than what you'll find most places.

It's totally rigid enough to be used with barrels well over 30", suppressors, etc.

Why would you ever want this over a Labradar? For my personal use, I've got a range to 1200 yards but the targets are scattered around the edges of a field. I can track every single shot without having to reaim a chronograph, no point of impact shift, etc. Very handy to know if your ammo was why you just dropped a shot low or sent it high.

I'm going to leave the discounted "preorder" price up until we have these in stock. The next batch should be around 6-8 weeks off, didn't expect to sell the first batch before it was finished!

Tyler

Mine arrived nicely packaged --But dang, could have used a few illustrations on what went where... I had to text @Dthomas3523 to get a quick heads up on how to attached the bayonet

Nice work -- good value -- just don't forget about us bone heads

Last edited:
We now have an instructional video on our site :)

Any suggestions or plans for a thumb wheel for the pic/arca clamp?

That’s the only little nit pick I could find. Needing an Allen key to clamp it on rifle.

Not a big deal. Just a small luxury that would be nice

Reactions: Diver160651
Any suggestions or plans for a thumb wheel for the pic/arca clamp?

That’s the only little nit pick I could find. Needing an Allen key to clamp it on rifle.

Not a big deal. Just a small luxury that would be nice

Maybe as an additional add-on. I've worked super hard to get this to a sell cost in the $150 region, and margins aren't very high. Adding a nice tool-free knob would cost much more than a $.20 bolt.

Reactions: Dthomas3523
Got mine today....very nice, well made works perfect. I have the first gen magnetospeed and the V2/sporter adapter worked perfect

The only thing i had to RE done was adjusting sensitivity to 4..normal default is 2 and sometimes i have an error saying bayonet not catching..im guessing bcoz angle of bayonet while attached on barrel vs mkm mount but diff..so far so good

Reactions: wildcats
Maybe as an additional add-on. I've worked super hard to get this to a sell cost in the $150 region, and margins aren't very high. Adding a nice tool-free knob would cost much more than a $.20 bolt.

What is the thread pattern and the bore diam for the head of the hex screw?

Looks nice. But, for now, I'm going to stick with the MKM mount I already have (purchased not long ago). What I do find attractive about the new mount is the adjustment mechanism looks much easier to use. I find the rotational S-brackets cumbersome to adjust. At least for now, I am only using the MKM mount on one rifle. So, I got it dialed in and tightened the shit out of it, so it won't (hopefully) move! LOL! I just throw it on the picatinny rail, and it's lined up! I store the bayonet attached to the MKM mount. I thought about getting another bayonet for use on other rifles, using the traditional strap-on method.

Anyway... kudos on improving your products. You make good stuff. I may eventually cave and get the new version.

Doesn't have a hub but might work to just clamp on the part that moves. It might need a bushing to fit into the head diameter recess. Something like the link below but it could be made custom. It would work well as it should also work kind of like a bushing to help reduce the torque to tighten or loosen.

Damn multi-dollar screws are why it is expensive to put them on there. Especially if we offered them on all the hardware.

Damn multi-dollar screws are why it is expensive to put them on there. Especially if we offered them on all the hardware.

Wouldn't be hard to just turn one in house...

See attached. You wouldn't have to make them press fit if you just put some loctite retaining compound on it also.
Just use a .5" longer socket head cap screw which is negligibly more expensive.

Attachments

• Socket Head Bolt Thumb Cap.pdf
    188.9 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
I think this is great product. Obviously you are working with some tough constraints but I think this is a huge improvement over the existing mounting systems. A couple questions for Tyler:

1) would you sell a shorter rod separately? I needed the 24 inch for one rifle, but it would be cool to have something shorter and lighter for others.
2) did you guys ever test a pipe segment for this, or aluminum? or does it really need that much rigidity?
3) the guide rods on the part that attaches to the rod clamp, I think, are slightly loose even when the screws are fully tightened. Is that normal?

1) Yeah, we can get the 12" rods and 24" up by themselves listed. But it'll, be a month or so.

2) Haven't tested anything else, tube is more expensive, originally went stainless over aluminum for rigidity on the first 3/8" version, however for the 5/8" I bet aluminum would be ok. Stainless looks real sexy though.

3) No those guide rods should certainly not be loose. I've had one other guy with a loose guide rod. Looks like it was tapped maybe .05" too short. Let me know and we can take care of you, or it's 10-24 threads if you have a tap.

Ordered 24" 6061 aluminum rod..only reason why i might try them coz im from salty wind hawaii :)
Everything rust really fast here..little lighter but not much

Reactions: phlegethon
Bjay
From the looks of your package we must have ordered from the same guy on Ebay :)
I got 2lbs 2ozs on the steel rod and 11ozs on the aluminum rod.

Last edited:
View attachment 7107865
Ordered 24" 6061 aluminum rod..only reason why i might try them coz im from salty wind hawaii :)
Everything rust really fast here..little lighter but not much

Let me know your results. We could make them from aluminum. I've thought about doing threaded rods if the cost works out, put two 12" together for 23" rod, much easier to ship

Reactions: JGR1953