• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Latest...

LRI

Lance Criminal
Minuteman
  • Mar 14, 2010
    Sturgis, S. Dakota
    www.longriflesinc.com
    Our new HTR style DBM:

Anyone who has used or fitted a detachable magazine setup on a rifle has inevitably run into the situation where a particular brand of magazine doesn't work.

The problem is there is no standard. No hall of records where you anoint yourself in Hoppes and pay homage to gain the magic answer. We too lack this secret handshake. It's been a problem from day one and what we set out to solve with these parts.

Our solution is to offer magazine specific latch mechanisms.
    The LRI DBM works properly when the action is bedded to the stock's showline edge and the floor metal is flush mounted on the bottom. (On a normal stock with a 2" height between showline and belly at the tang/showline intersection) At this installed height, the magazine will present the case at the optimum height (on a .700" dia bolt, such as a Remington M700 or the many clones/derivatives).

1566421194277.png

Determining the proper installed height:

Here at LRI, we refer to this as the "figure 8". Simply to mean the primer is tangent to the 6 o'clock position of the receiver bore.The 2 imaginary circles create an inverted figure 8.

1566421216523.png

Having this ensures the case rim/head is exposed for proper overlap on bolt nose. Its a proven rule that will consistently deliver the most reliable means of feeding cartridges. All cartridges; long, short, or fat, it doesn't matter.

The Obendorf latch design was chosen because it is elegant and simple. Our latch observes the need for firm spring pressure and we were careful to ensure it has the proper geometry to stay put during heavy recoil. Lightweight hunting rifles are the target audience for this piece (other versions to follow) so ensuring the gun doesn't "gut itself like a fish" is important.

The LRI DBM's are available in two finishes; Type III hard coat anodized and an As Machined / "In The White" version for those who wish to coat the parts to handshake with a full build.

We didn't stop there. LRI is a gunmaking business first and foremost, which means we understand the challenges that industry colleagues face. We support our products with detailed technical drawings and code for those fortunate to have CNC milling machines!

SOLID MODEL_STEP FORMAT

DRAWING_1

DRAWING_2

CNC INLETTING CODE_HAAS FORMAT

TOOL PACKAGE AND SETUP

Manufacturing:

These floor metals begin life as a 2-3/4lb piece of 6061 T651 AL bar stock. When finished they weigh a petite 3.1 ounces. The parts are 5 axis CNC machined on our Haas UMC-750 5 axis CNC mill and programmed with state of the art CAD/CAM software.

The advantage 5 axis offers is the ability to access the parts on 5 of its six sides. Doing so is powerful because tolerance stacking errors caused by moving from one fixture to another is almost completely eliminated. This goes a long way towards ensuring the parts fit the rifle stock and mating components.

The release levers are machined from 4130 Chromoly steel on our Kitamura MyCenter 3Xi 4 axis CNC milling center. The ultra rigid box way construction used by Kitamura is perfect for machining tough/abrasive tool grade steels.

Next:

A neat little lighter weight hunting rig we just wrapped up.

6lbs, 10oz.

1566421488877.png

1566421523671.png

Attachments

• 1566421852152.png
      1566421852152.png
      1.4 MB · Views: 55
    • 1566421866602.png
      1566421866602.png
      1 MB · Views: 56
    • 1566421877667.png
      1566421877667.png
      837.6 KB · Views: 69
    • 1566421888053.png
      1566421888053.png
      943.5 KB · Views: 76
    • 1566421900136.png
      1566421900136.png
      930.6 KB · Views: 65
    • 1566421911343.png
      1566421911343.png
      1.1 MB · Views: 51
    Beautiful.
    I dig the crown.

Thank you. It's nothing more than a threaded muzzle with one of our thread protectors installed. They are blended 1:1 to the OD contour, then slotted so that a pocket knife (whatever) can remove it for a can/brake.

We just make em longer so that the crown doesn't get banged up when out in the field/vehicle.

Nothing too crazy, just a little different way to skin the kitty.

The products are flat beautiful.

Just plain fun to stare at the fine detail.

How much?

Mr Dixon

I will say you might think about taking on some of the DBM that CDI was making.
    They did great work for other platforms (Tikka specifically) and were a class act. Im unsure of another outfit with the scale to take on their work and maintain their CS and quality.

With Jeff passing, many are unsure where to go for the “other” DBM.

I vote you.

Thats a vote based on experience. Not the wheels of the bus crushing you.

Top end work. Looks great

How much?

Mr Dixon

I will say you might think about taking on some of the DBM that CDI was making.
    They did great work for other platforms (Tikka specifically) and were a class act. Im unsure of another outfit with the scale to take on their work and maintain their CS and quality.

With Jeff passing, many are unsure where to go for the “other” DBM.

I vote you.

Thats a vote based on experience. Not the wheels of the bus crushing you.

Top end work. Looks great

CDI had been around a long time and Jeff did a good job. The unfortunates in this business is that "the guard" is starting to change. We all have expiration dates... I've had quite a few mentors and friends cross that line over the last 5 years. It sucks when life stops giving and starts taking back.

We are in a position to help. With the staff and machine assets LRI now has, DBM installs are pretty straight forward. The introduction of our own now is convenient. Rumor has it another big company is enduring a hardship. -One reported as self inflicted and stupid so I'm not too sympathetic.

Bottom line is, I need to get my ass to work and stop trolling Sniper's Hide. :)

Thank you all for the kind remarks. They are always appreciated.

C.