• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Law Enforcement (Committal Ceremony) Honor Guard Protocol Question

Douglas-001

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 16, 2012
50 miles west of Camp Perry
Members,

I am asking on behalf of my mother who was a Lucas County Deputy Sheriff (Ohio), and also served in Montgomery County. I am taking her to her final resting place in Arizona. The only family there will be myself and my daughter. She loved the desert southwest and the Tucson area especially, so that's where I'm taking her. It's the least I can do for her... I have reached out to local police depts and asked if they may be able to provide an Honor guard for the brief ceremony. A few local agencies are going to send officers to the cemetery and I have thanked them for all their effort. My question is in regards to afterwards. I plan to have small metal plaques engraved with the Lucas County SO insignia- (Basically what she wore on her shoulder)- and present them to the officers afterwards. Would that be way out of line? Should I simply shake hands and offer a sincere thanks? Her fellow officers, whom she never met, are willing to pay final respects to her, and I am truly grateful. This is all new to me and I figured that there are members who are active LE, or possibly have first hand knowledge on such protocol. I don't want to be out of bounds, or embarrass anyone that day. I would appreciate any help or direction. Thank you.

Doug

Members,

I am asking on behalf of my mother who was a Lucas County Deputy Sheriff (Ohio), and also served in Montgomery County. I am taking her to her final resting place in Arizona. The only family there will be myself and my daughter. She loved the desert southwest and the Tucson area especially, so that's where I'm taking her. It's the least I can do for her... I have reached out to local police depts and asked if they may be able to provide an Honor guard for the brief ceremony. A few local agencies are going to send officers to the cemetery and I have thanked them for all their effort. My question is in regards to afterwards. I plan to have small metal plaques engraved with the Lucas County SO insignia- (Basically what she wore on her shoulder)- and present them to the officers afterwards. Would that be way out of line? Should I simply shake hands and offer a sincere thanks? Her fellow officers, whom she never met, are willing to pay final respects to her, and I am truly grateful. This is all new to me and I figured that there are members who are active LE, or possibly have first hand knowledge on such protocol. I don't want to be out of bounds, or embarrass anyone that day. I would appreciate any help or direction. Thank you.

Doug
If one of the departments had a challenge coin to hand out? That would be my choice if I were in your situation and the option was available.

The worst I could think of is if they were not allowed to accept personal gifts as government employees (it totally happens), but the little plaque (or challenge coins, or patches) are very appropriate then still, as there's almost always another space on the wall or trophy cabinet for something from another agency. They'll just give it to their supervisor when they get back.

For the plaque, make sure it has full details somewhere. Doesn't need to be on the engraved bit, but just a sticker on the back. Who gave it out, when, for what reason, so years from now they'll remember why they have it.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer