• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Law Enforcement "Patrol Designated Marksman Program"

Mcgruff465

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2010
LE guys and gals, is anyone using a DMR program at the respected departments mostly geared towards the patrol side. I am wanting to starting this program at my department and I'm looking for some advice, ideas, policies and standards if anyone would be willing to help out?

Thanks

If you dont already have access, message @Lowlight and get access to the mil/le only section. youll get help there and be able to discuss things that shouldnt be public. already a few threads on this in there.
Awesome, Thanks. forgive me for not knowing. I'll do another search and try to find what I need.

mil ought to be separate, le is civil service and should be out in front

Considering that some folks tend to fairly quickly post less than friendly comments about LE to LE in the GenPop, I could see where they might want to be able to talk without folks jumping in on them.

not behind a super secret, members only forum. lol
there is nothing special or accommodating needed for le.
Well that’s your opinion, but the main reason that those private sections were started was because most LE got tired of the cop bashing that goes on or used to go on in most forums, which is fucking sad because we are all on the same side. If the Mil guys want a separate section for themselves, they can request that.

Well that’s your opinion, but the main reason that those private sections were started was because most LE got tired of the cop bashing that goes on or used to go on in most forums, which is fucking sad because we are all on the same side. If the Mil guys want a separate section for themselves, they can request that.
there would be far less cop bashing by the masses if police did their job correctly, didn't consider us civilians and them above the rest, shitcanned the meatheads in the dept that need to go and give everyone a bad name and didn't circle wagons around said shitheads when they screw up.

family of blue here friend, I get it but much of it is self inflicted

all good

Considering that some folks tend to fairly quickly post less than friendly comments about LE to LE in the GenPop, I could see where they might want to be able to talk without folks jumping in on them.
no doubt, agree with that

there would be far less cop bashing by the masses if police did their job correctly, didn't consider us civilians and them above the rest, shitcanned the meatheads in the dept that need to go and give everyone a bad name and didn't circle wagons around said shitheads when they screw up.

family of blue here friend, I get it but much of it is self inflicted

all good
Cops work to serve and protect the public. The issue is that it is impossible to make everyone happy. Take any topic you want and try to get a consensus on anything. It is a no-win situation. You make one person happy and it will piss off 2-3 other people.

LE guys and gals, is anyone using a DMR program at the respected departments mostly geared towards the patrol side. I am wanting to starting this program at my department and I'm looking for some advice, ideas, policies and standards if anyone would be willing to help out?

Thanks
Ridgeline Defense has DMR classes for LE. Both as a 3 day class for patrol officers and a 5 day class to be an instructor. I’d check with them.

Reactions: Rudy Gonsior
How about adding in some constitutional laws and rights into the program?
What's really interesting is that most departments can't even have a DMR roll because of the distances involved most are shooting at less than 75 yards and anything over that requires special tactics units. even the terminology is too militaristic and therein lies the problem

Reactions: Jdfd556 and jb0311
people post less than friendly comments on almost all career choices here. It seems as only one of those career choices can't handle the discourse though. But yeah, this question should have been fielded in their own safety bubble, agreed.

What's really interesting is that most departments can't even have a DMR roll because of the distances involved most are shooting at less than 75 yards and anything over that requires special tactics units. even the terminology is too militaristic and therein lies the problem
😂 those are some shit ass departments. I’ve never heard of anything like that in my area.

We have Sig MCX’s and Benelli shotguns in every patrol car. We do the regular qualifications twice a year, rifle familiarization twice a year, active shooter training with simunitions twice a year, and defensive tactics training twice a year. And we even have a work-out on duty policy (only when we have more than minimum guys working). I guess I shouldn’t be complaining 😂

😂 those are some shit ass departments. I’ve never heard of anything like that in my area.

We have Sig MCX’s and Benelli shotguns in every patrol car. We do the regular qualifications twice a year, rifle familiarization twice a year, active shooter training with simunitions twice a year, and defensive tactics training twice a year. And we even have a work-out on duty policy (only when we have more than minimum guys working). I guess I shouldn’t be complaining 😂
Thats a nice training schedule and equipment. We are issued ancient Bushmaster rifles in the team and non-team folks get slapped with bottom barrel M&P 15s. We can lift on shift, but thats during our lunch break (which is fine by me, as long as I can).

Reactions: paulo_santos
Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 5.53.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 5.54.06 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-02-03 at 5.53.31 PM.png

people post less than friendly comments on almost all career choices here. It seems as only one of those career choices can't handle the discourse though. But yeah, this question should have been fielded in their own safety bubble, agreed.
Actually it is because people who have never served a day in their life love to tell cops how they should do their job and don’t understand that there are laws and rules and regulations that we have to follow. If you don’t believe me, go do a ride-a-long with a police department and see for yourself.

I was being a bit facetious but again, not the only career choice that faces scrutiny on here or that gets told how they should operate, just the only one that seems to think they are above any critique by those, in your words, they "serve and protect". I have served, and come from a family of police as well. I can tell you that those of us critical of the way law enforcement, as a field, is going aren't loving any of this. I've never once thought that the average citizen needed to serve to have thoughts on the way their public servants operate. Shame you seem to. Seems like we aren't all in fact on the same side, especially those serving in states that restrict the constitutional rights of their citizens. Criticism of law enforcement isn't always hate, regardless of how it makes you feel. Best of luck to you, sincerely.

I was being a bit facetious but again, not the only career choice that faces scrutiny on here or that gets told how they should operate, just the only one that seems to think they are above any critique by those, in your words, they "serve and protect". I have served, and come from a family of police as well. I can tell you that those of us critical of the way law enforcement, as a field, is going aren't loving any of this. I've never once thought that the average citizen needed to serve to have thoughts on the way their public servants operate. Shame you seem to. Seems like we aren't all in fact on the same side, especially those serving in states that restrict the constitutional rights of their citizens. Criticism of law enforcement isn't always hate, regardless of how it makes you feel. Best of luck to you, sincerely.
Not true at all. I welcome criticism and I enjoy helping out the public. There is a difference between criticism and good recommendations that we receive from the public from the ignorant and dumbass suggestions.

And every cop I know and work with here in NJ is pro 2A and absolutely think all these laws and restrictions are a complete violation of everyone’s rights and we do not enforce them. We even encourage everyone to apply for a carry permit and help out guys who need training. I’ve taken several guys to the range in my own time and money to help them. Most cops are pro gun especially cops in these communist states because we also have to follow those stupid ass laws.

There’s many good cops. A few bad ones in comparison. The media wants you to hate cops and fills the tv with anti 2A crap. Which is only the vision of certain people and politicians. Of course guys who have run ins with LE will generally disapprove of them as well

With the recent popularity in the last 15 years with AR’s it’s a good idea for LE to practice for distance shooting. Unfortunately many don’t. Some LE barely qualify at the standard qualifications. And unfortunately seem to need to relearn or perform maintenance on their weapons when they do eventually take them out every 6-12 months.

That’s not everywhere but many just don’t use or maintain their weapons let alone practice distance shooting. Many who can make longer shots are either shooters on their own time or prior MIL. Our academy had college grads who never fired a weapon prior to training and sucked at it when they passed qualification

The people who really need to train and remain armed are the everyday civilians. Because they are the ones likely to be in the shit. A well armed well trained civilian can outshoot and outnumber any LE close enough to make a difference when shit hits the fan. They have the element of surprise to an active shooter.

Cops should train more

Civilians should train more and let cops show up to handle the paperwork

Reactions: paulo_santos
Not true at all. I welcome criticism and I enjoy helping out the public. There is a difference between criticism and good recommendations that we receive from the public from the ignorant and dumbass suggestions.

And every cop I know and work with here in NJ is pro 2A and absolutely think all these laws and restrictions are a complete violation of everyone’s rights and we do not enforce them. We even encourage everyone to apply for a carry permit and help out guys who need training. I’ve taken several guys to the range in my own time and money to help them. Most cops are pro gun especially cops in these communist states because we also have to follow those stupid ass laws.

So "pro gun" they enforce "laws" that they themselves believe to be unconstitutional??? We can see how much you appreciate criticism as well. I'm sure you're a young guy and that's part of it, but you clearly aren't picking up what's being put down here and don't want to, which is up to you. The biggest issue with police is that they cover for each other instead of getting rid of the bad ones. "Don't snitch on your brothers in blue".... it's far better to not snitch than to stand up for the citizens you "protect and serve" right??? I'm too tired tonight so help me out and just read it and don't respond. Just consider it is all.

So "pro gun" they enforce "laws" that they themselves believe to be unconstitutional??? We can see how much you appreciate criticism as well. I'm sure you're a young guy and that's part of it, but you clearly aren't picking up what's being put down here and don't want to, which is up to you. The biggest issue with police is that they cover for each other instead of getting rid of the bad ones. "Don't snitch on your brothers in blue".... it's far better to not snitch than to stand up for the citizens you "protect and serve" right??? I'm too tired tonight so help me out and just read it and don't respond. Just consider it is all.
Clearly you missed the part where I said that we DON’T enforce the laws that are unconstitutional. But you just hear what you want to hear, even when it is clearly written out.

There have been several reports where sheriffs have said that they will NOT enforce these unconstitutional laws. But hey, you think whatever you want to think.

Actually it is because people who have never served a day in their life love to tell cops how they should do their job and don’t understand that there are laws and rules and regulations that we have to follow. If you don’t believe me, go do a ride-a-long with a police department and see for yourself.
served? see, right there you did it. You didn't serve shit, you're a fking civil servant and you work for you constituents. You want to THINK your job is special, dangerous and the like but it's not. 99% of all cops will never use their gun, 98% will never even draw it.

served....JHC you're the problem

Reactions: r3wst3r and Jsp556
probably do need a little OPSEC on LE training / tactics info to answer the OPs original request tho

That shit is basic as fuck. The only reason they win most of the time is because most of the time they go against complete dumbasses who can't shoot worth a shit either.

Things almost always go sideways for them when they go against someone who knows what's up.

served? see, right there you did it. You didn't serve shit, you're a fking civil servant and you work for you constituents. You want to THINK your job is special, dangerous and the like but it's not. 99% of all cops will never use their gun, 98% will never even draw it.

served....JHC you're the problem
Oh boy, now you are going to be petty because I said the word served when it counts to LE. I proudly served 4 years in the military and I’ve proudly served my community for 23.5 years. Use whatever words you want to, but it is all the same to me.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: wade2big
Weeeellllll this thread went downhill pretty quick.

What if… you are a cop and fundamentally against the institution of LE. Yeah I’m a bit messed up I know.

Reactions: Skunk
From training to bashing......

Rumor is my old department may be in the news again. I will be laughing my ass off while shedding tears for what it all really means.

The rot was introduced at the top and we are seeing it filter down.

I can tell you for a fact law enforcement in New York doesn’t have to follow the same stupid ass gun laws! Can, sbr, and high capacity magazines, they can have it all.

I can tell you for a fact law enforcement in New York doesn’t have to follow the same stupid ass gun laws! Can, sbr, and high capacity magazines, they can have it all.
NY is special. My AR’s all have pinned muzzle brakes/comps, pinned stocks, and 10 round mags. We are not allowed to have any of that stuff just like everyone else here in NJ.

Please tell us how many crooked politicians you’ve arrested. Ya know, since laws and rules must be followed.

It’s not 2002 anymore. People see through the bullshit.

Here is one way to find out if a LEO of any type believes in the oath they took or it was just something they had to say to get the badge. Did you or your dept enforce any of the covid rules? If you did then that means you will confiscate the firearms when it comes time to do so. And do you think your police station and the property it sits on is private property?

You can weed out a lot of people with these 2 simple ?'s. We need law enforcement. We don't need the true Sovern Citizens. And that is why qualified immunity needs to be abolished. And at the same time people need to go back in front of a judge before they can be arrested.

Reactions: jb0311
Good stuff tomme and I know this a pd thread…… I would include that we have MUCH bigger problems in this country than local popo. It just filters down to the locals some of whom are too foolish to know better and appreciate the constitution(2A). Not op, of course. It was on perfect display with the balloon fiasco.

which is fucking sad because we are all on the same side.
Respectfully, but no. Until Qualified Immunity and Civil Asset Forfeiture are no more, it is very much not a case of "on the same side", it is "rules for thee but not for me".

Only once police are held to the same laws and standards as everyone else, will that statement be true

I know there are good officers, the problem is the bad ones currently have a blank check to make all of them look like assholes.

@paulo_santos I purposely didn’t respond to you earlier as I was trying to avoid this going down the rabbit hole earlier but sounds like that already happened lol.

So with that being the case…

Don’t paint us all with the same broad brush strokes you are complaining about yourself. Not all of us are scorched earth, ACAB chanting anarchists. I don’t have a problem with every single officer out there, however I have a major issue with the institution of policing in this country. Respectfully, we are not on the same side, and will never be until these issues are fixed. It’s easy to sit back and blame the media (not all of us watch the news and are able to form our own opinions) and deflect the actual issues onto anyone other than yourselves.

You say that “we won’t enforce any unconstitutional laws” but yet it happens every day. It’s easy to say you won’t, and you’ll forgive me if I don’t believe a sherif who depends on votes says something that his voters wants to hear. Yet those same sheriffs still enforce the unconstitutional laws already in the books. I call bullshit when that same sheriff enforces a state law requiring me to get a “permission slip” from him so I can simply purchase a handgun. Recent history shows us that police will enforce the laws, no matter how constitutional they are. I don’t hate cops, and it isn’t personal to any single cop. I realize there are good and bad, but there are enough bad ones to make the whole institution bad. You personally may be one of the good ones (I don’t know you). I want them to be successful and to regain the trust, but that’s obviously not the direction we are going in. I’ll wait for that action because we’ve been hearing that you’re on our side and that y’all won’t enforce those laws for quite some time now, and the actions show us otherwise.

I would encourage all law enforcement to not get immediately offended when there is discourse, and actually listen to what’s being said. We keep hearing the same excuses and the amount of people buying them is decreasing by the day.

Again, I sincerely wish you the best, and my words are not personal to you specific.

Reactions: r3wst3r and _Ares_
Respectfully, but no. Until Qualified Immunity and Civil Asset Forfeiture are no more, it is very much not a case of "on the same side", it is "rules for thee but not for me".

Only once police are held to the same laws and standards as everyone else, will that statement be true

I know there are good officers, the problem is the bad ones currently have a blank check to make all of them look like assholes.

Qualified immunity is a false target. Basically it only protects as long as you are functioning within the bounds of the law, reasonableness and your training.

Because laws are written in legalese by lawyers there is a ton of bullshit and interpretation.

It's only intent is to protect you from the civil suits where someone wants to sue you for issuing a speeding ticket. The courts say "No. He was operating within the color of the law per his sworn duty. Prove his violation of your rights or take your case against the state to prove the unlawfulness of the law."

Qualified immunity can not be blamed for cases where it's application is used in an unintended manner. That's corruption and the people of Athens Georgia had the answer to that.

Now if you want to go after "immunity" go after our politicians that mandate shit telling you straight up when you complain about constitutionality "Fuck you. Sue me!"

They know full wełl the cost of that. They know full well if their mandate is reversed the tax payer will bear the costs. They know full well their personal finances will never suffer due their malfeasance.

If I were ever suing my state and won I want to ask in open court Why is the tax payer on the hook. Why isn't the politician that acted unconstitutionally financially liable?

A lot of these tyrants would be more reasonable if their holdings were at risk as much as a cops with qualified immunity.

Instead politicians get full immunity.

Edit added - Athens GA should be Athens TN. I've got GA on my mind.

Last edited:
Qualified immunity is a false target. Basically it only protects as long as you are functioning within the bounds of the law, reasonableness and your tr
Did it protect the uvalde officers from being sued for willfully neglecting the lives of children? Honestly curious. I understand the predicament, as we are in a very litigious society, just wondering if the issue is not as simple as you put it.

@paulo_santos I purposely didn’t respond to you earlier as I was trying to avoid this going down the rabbit hole earlier but sounds like that already happened lol.

So with that being the case…

Don’t paint us all with the same broad brush strokes you are complaining about yourself. Not all of us are scorched earth, ACAB chanting anarchists. I don’t have a problem with every single officer out there, however I have a major issue with the institution of policing in this country. Respectfully, we are not on the same side, and will never be until these issues are fixed. It’s easy to sit back and blame the media (not all of us watch the news and are able to form our own opinions) and deflect the actual issues onto anyone other than yourselves.

You say that “we won’t enforce any unconstitutional laws” but yet it happens every day. It’s easy to say you won’t, and you’ll forgive me if I don’t believe a sherif who depends on votes says something that his voters wants to hear. Yet those same sheriffs still enforce the unconstitutional laws already in the books. I call bullshit when that same sheriff enforces a state law requiring me to get a “permission slip” from him so I can simply purchase a handgun. Recent history shows us that police will enforce the laws, no matter how constitutional they are. I don’t hate cops, and it isn’t personal to any single cop. I realize there are good and bad, but there are enough bad ones to make the whole institution bad. You personally may be one of the good ones (I don’t know you). I want them to be successful and to regain the trust, but that’s obviously not the direction we are going in. I’ll wait for that action because we’ve been hearing that you’re on our side and that y’all won’t enforce those laws for quite some time now, and the actions show us otherwise.

I would encourage all law enforcement to not get immediately offended when there is discourse, and actually listen to what’s being said. We keep hearing the same excuses and the amount of people buying them is decreasing by the day.

Again, I sincerely wish you the best, and my words are not personal to you specific.

Cops and doctors have lost all credibility over the last three years.

For doctors it was completely due to being cowards and willfull compliance. Not each individually but the profession in general.

Cops it was more so by political design and a compliant managements. The individuals each face a big test and most will fail when faced with the moment. The first one to pass it will be the maverick. The second one that backs him up is the true hero that has made a reasoned, rational decision to do the right thing at potentially great cost.

We should all cheer a good number two.

Last edited: