• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Law Firm Clarifies Ketanji Brown Jackson’s Controversial Claim on Black Doctors, Infant Survival.

PatMiles

Private
Minuteman
Feb 25, 2017

Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson speaks after President Joe Biden announced Jackson as his nominee to the Supreme Court in the Cross Hall of the White House, Friday, Feb. 25, 2022, in Washington. (AP Photo/Carolyn Kaster)

A law firm that submitted an amicus curiae (“friend of the court”) brief cited by Supreme Court Justice Ketanji Brown Jackson in her dissent in the affirmative action case filed a clarification with the Court on Friday.
As Fox News noted, the Norton Rose Fullbright firm filed a letter on Friday with the Supreme Court to clarify a study that Justice Jackson cited to claim that black babies born to black doctors have a higher survival rate.
In her dissent to the 6-3 decision in Students for Fair Admissions v. President and Fellows of Harvard College, which struck down affirmative action in college admissions: Justice Jackson made the following notable claim: “For high-risk Black newborns, having a Black physician more than doubles the likelihood that the baby will live, and not die.”
In a response in the Wall Street Journal, plaintiffs’ litigator Ted Frank weighed in:
A moment’s thought should be enough to realize that this claim is wildly implausible. Imagine if 40% of black newborns died—thousands of dead infants every week. But even so, that’s a 60% survival rate, which is mathematically impossible to double. And the actual survival rate is over 99%.
How could Justice Jackson make such an innumerate mistake? A footnote cites a friend-of-the-court brief by the Association of American Medical Colleges, which makes the same claim in almost identical language. It, in turn, refers to a 2020 study whose lead author is Brad Greenwood, a professor at the George Mason University School of Business.

The AAMC brief either misunderstood the paper or invented the statistic. (It isn’t saved by the adjective “high-risk,” which doesn’t appear and isn’t measured in Greenwood’s paper.)
George Washington University Law School scholar Jonathan Turley also took on Justice Jackson’s claim, noting that the brief she cited inis the latest example of litigants “dump[ing] statistics and studies into the record” that the Court is unable to check. “The result is that major decisions or dissents can be built on highly contested factual assertions. In this case, critics believe that the Jackson argument literally does not add up,” he said”.
In its clarifying letter, Norton Rose Fullbright said that “mortality” had been confused with survival rates:
[W]hile survival is the obverse of mortality and in general terms decreased mortality indicates increased survival, statistically they are not interchangeable. … A more precise summary of the study’s finding would have been to state that having a Black physician reduces by more than half the likelihood of death for Black newborns as compared to White newborns.
The firm claimed that the study still supported Justice Jackson’s dissent, but it did not explain why she referred to black newborns as “high-risk” when that term did not appear in the study.
During her 2022 confirmation hearing, Justice Jackson would not define what the term “woman” meant, saying: “I’m not a biologist.”

• Wow
Reactions: Milf Dots
The supreme court is nothing but a supreme bunch of corrupt fucking idiots dictating life for the rest of us peons. Used to be their ruling were gospel, now they are nothing more than political hacks reading the law for whatever fuckstick put them on the bench.
Fuck those assholes

“ oh , I went fishing in a private plane paid for by one of the persons I was to hear a case….is that wrong?”

Diversity hire making us stronger with shared experiences. Or some such bullshit.

Listen to oral arguments on CSPAN sometime. Jackson is wearing on the patience of the other justices.

Each justice will get about 10 minutes to question the lawyer for one side of the case. 99% of the time, the justice whose time it is, has a one on one conversation with the lawyer. Except now. Jackson will just, out of the blue, add commentary to help an attorney in trouble or to shape the direction of the questions. And John Roberts does not have the balls to say "shut up, it is not your turn".

Make a note. One of the other justices is going to tell Jackson just that. "Shut up. I don't interrupt you. Don't interrupt me." It will create the race card, gender card firestorm, but I can just feel it building.

And it will be Roberts' fault. He is a pussy.

Its not "controversial"....its plainly and simply wrong.

And why is her face orange....thing she's hanging out at The Donald's spray tan place! haha

One of the other justices is going to tell Jackson just that. "Shut up. I don't interrupt you. Don't interrupt me." It will create the race card, gender card firestorm,
Nah...it will be in chambers if done and not in a public hearing. You will never hear about it.

Democrats, yeah. One has to wonder if they had a choice if they would pass a law

-making it illegal for white doctors to treat blacks.

-making it illegal for white teachers to teach blacks.

Making it illegal for white businesses to employ blacks.

Of course they would, segregation is what they do.

Reactions: lash
Yeah but this one is just ridiculously unqualified and the most embarrassing justice ever appointed. Another gift from the biden puppetry
I don't dispute that. Her qualifications were completely superficial. Black? Female? Good enough! And that's a slap in the face to qualified judges, but the biden administration swore they would inject diversity into the courts, qualifications be dammed