• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Law on shipping primers

gau17

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 20, 2009
Valencia
What's the law when it comes to shipping primers to another individual. I have a buddy that lives out of state they currently has primers in-stock where he lives. Would he be able to legally ship them to me?

Re: Law on shipping primers

Yes, no sweat. But technically, legal-wise, he's supposed to send them with a Haz-Mat designation with applicable fees.

could it be shipped via ups and just get a hazmat designation from them?

Legally, it's not ok..........
But people do it all the time.
To be safe, have him ship thru a Dealer.

<span style="font-weight: bold">
General Requirements </span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">DOT states that <span style="text-decoration: underline">no person </span>may offer or accept a hazardous material for transportation in commerce unless that person is trained in conformance with 49 CFR </span>and the hazardous material is properly classed, described, packaged, marked, labeled, and in condition for shipment as required or authorized by applicable requirements of 49 CFR.
UPS, however, imposes other general requirements on you as a contract hazardous materials shipper.

You must ensure that the material offered for shipment is neither "forbidden" nor "prohibited" from transportation. See the restrictions listed in the UPS chemical table for each material you plan to ship. "Forbidden" means that the DOT will not allow the transport of the material; "prohibited" or "not accepted" means that UPS will not transport that specific material due to safety concerns related to the "conditions incident to UPS´s transportation system."

UPS allows a maximum of three chemically compatible materials in one package.

Know exactly what you are shipping. If in doubt, don't ship!

If you have any questions about shipping hazardous materials with UPS, please call the UPS Hazardous Materials Support Center at 1-800-554-9964.

Since WE are PERSONS.............it includes YOU & I.

I spoke to a lady in the dangerous goods department for FedEx, she kept asking for some four digit designation number, I found the one for "primers/tubular" and she said it was classified as an explosive there for needing all the extra shipping. But she said to be sure that's the correct classification #, because if its classified as "small arms ammunition" its unregulated and therefore all I would need to do is mark the package as ORM-D and I'd be GTG. I have her name and all. But the question I had for her that she couldn't answer was, if I can ship loaded ammo OK, and primers are only one of the many components of ammo, would I be OK to ship them. I'm still not sure if I gave her the proper classification #...

Powder is part of a loaded round but you can't ship that either.