• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lawn Tractors (SOURCED), ATVs/UTVs, Brain Trust, Talk to Me

Veer_G

Beware of the Dildópony!
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2008
SEPA
Needed: stout, powerful-ish tractor to mow up to approximately three acres of rough, hilly, boggy in parts, oversized, rustic yard, with possible cable-drag duty to clear windfall and downed trees from even hillier nine acre section. Ability to mount two-stage snow blower or plow attachment required. Belt-drive is more realistic for both budgetary reasons and storage requirements.

So far, I've stopped at the local John Deere/Stihl/Ariens stealership, who was singing the praises of the 570/580/590 series of JD. And yes, I'm going to need an ATV and a chain saw, too. Oh, damn, damn, damn, the agony.

Might consider a JD 1025r. I've got one with belly mower and bucket. Can run a small Bush hog and many attachments including a back hoe. In my area the prices start about $15000 depending on options. I mow about 2 acres with mine and love it. One of the best things I've bought.

Reactions: 1J04
We were given two lawn-tractors, a few years ago. I was able to take them, and put one good one together. Still have the 'other tractor' but it don't have a mower-deck anymore. I'm right proud of that progress, and it just took elbow-grease and a bit of ingenuity, and we're in business.

I'd offer that 'other' tractor to you for the same price we paid for it,,,, but it seems you're looking for something that is in a whole 'nuther Galaxy compared to what we're running here.

You want a lawn Ginsu!!!!! we just have a plain-ol' ride-em-grass-cutter. Old one's at that. Murray 12-48 (what we're running) and Murray 11-46 (deckless)
--At least from memory, I think those are the numbers.

Here I thought this was a thread I'd actually be able to contribute on, helpfully. Where-in-fact your asking for a reasonably priced (with free delivery) D-10 CAT with Hauling Dump-Truck with Sleeper, Flat-deck-Trailer, 28'Excavator with a 2 yard bucket, and a crew or 'reasonably priced' and freshly located operators to do all the sweatin'. :D

If only I had your problems......

Reactions: Barneybdb
We were given two lawn-tractors, a few years ago. I was able to take them, and put one good one together. Still have the 'other tractor' but it don't have a mower-deck anymore. I'm right proud of that progress, and it just took elbow-grease and a bit of ingenuity, and we're in business.

I'd offer that 'other' tractor to you for the same price we paid for it,,,, but it seems you're looking for something that is in a whole 'nuther Galaxy compared to what we're running here.

You want a lawn Ginsu!!!!! we just have a plain-ol' ride-em-grass-cutter. Old one's at that. Murray 12-48 (what we're running) and Murray 11-46 (deckless)

Here I thought this was a thread I'd actually be able to contribute on, helpfully. Where-in-fact your asking for a reasonably priced (with free delivery) D-10 CAT with Hauling Dump-Truck with Sleeper, Flat-deck-Trailer, 28'Excavator with a 2 yard bucket, and a crew or 'reasonably priced' and freshly located operators to do all the sweatin'. :D

You forgot the logging crew!

My dad has a Deere 730 and likes it. He uses it for mowing, spraying and pulling a utility trailor for yard work. Also uses it to put a bass boat in its spot in his garage. It has a blower for clippings, which is needed for damper grasses like fescu and picking up leaves, something that probably applies to you. Btw, the black walnuts you showed in your pic a while back have a chem that suppress germination, so read up on that before using clippings with those leaves for compost.

You probably already know this, zeroturn sucks ass on steep ground. If hilly/steep, don’t let anyone talk you into one. Love mine on flat ground, hate it on steep.

The mini tractors with belly mower start to get tall. Sit on what you’re looking at and get the wife to measure ground to top of your head and compare that to tree limbs that you’ll want to mow around. Could get to be a problem. Btw, lot of folks get killed every year bush hogging under trees, don’t be one.

Atv aka four wheelers are for riding. Get a side x side unless you’re looking to trail ride. Ranger double cab is a long bitch in the woods, keep that in mind if you’ll be in tight spots. That would be my dragger, not the mower.

Reactions: oneshot86

Not quite, Sean. People are suggesting lawn ginzus to me. I'm trying to keep this a four-figure proposition, with snow-blower, not a five-figure monstrosity with so much shit hangin' off of it that it looks like a praying mantis. If I need to dig crew-served weapon emplacements, I'll lease. Besides, I'd prefer not to task my attorney with divorce defense work.

A Kubota BX2670 with a loader would be ideal. Barely bigger than a lawn tractor, has a rear and mid pto, can be bought equipped with a mid mount mower, will readily handle a 2 stage snow blower, would be great for pushing snow as well. You can run a 48" brush mower, a rear blade, a box scraper etc. Also available with 4wd, and bar tires. Far superior to JD in its class.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Kubota B7800 w/FEL & brush hog
Grasshopper diesel ZTR w/vacuum
Sportsman X2 800 EFI w/dump box & winch

tasks covered: dirt, snow, brush, grass & logging

I still wish I had a backhoe:p

We used to have one of the small Kubota HST tractors. The B2800 maybe.... 4wd loader, hydrostatic... It would do all you want snowblowing I have no idea. I will not live where I need a snow blower.

The Gravely zero turn I have now would mow significantly faster than it though. Now I have a rubber tracked skid steer and the Gravely zero turn. I bet you could put a heck of a snow blower on the front of a skid steer!

I bet you could put a heck of a snow blower on the front of a skid steer!

Back in '2000 I operated a bobcat with a snowblower on the front, which ran off the hydraulics. That baby LAUNCHED the snow an easy 50 feet without effort. I can only imagine how gooder they are now!

I don't know what the current model would be but I'm still running a JD 265 Garden tractor from 1991? with a 60"deck, 48" snowblower and trailer... You don't need to get into the "compact tractor" segment but want to be above the "lawn tractor" segment..

Regardless, it has made me a JD man for the duration

For that size area a Kubota BX would work great. I own a bx2670 and a bx25d the backhoe one. Financing is 0% for like 72 months. Look small but are great for all kinds of stuff. Backhoe is surprisingly useful and lots of buddies use it and pay favor back in beer and bourbon so that’s always a bonus. It’s easy to take on and off too.

I’ll answer the same way I answer the “what chain saw brand...?” question. Don’t buy a particular brand without a good dealer relationship and network. Even the best equipment breaks or needs service and having a good dealer close by is worth a lot.

We run all Deere equipment here on our little slice of Hell. Multiple dealers close by for parts and service when needed.

If you're going to need an ATV anyways consider a tow behind mowing option. I've been really happy with the Swisher 66" finish mower. Then I use the big tractor for brush hogging, back hoe, front loader, log dragging, etc. It's nice to be able to mow fast!

The only thing about that model is that it blows through belts if you let the grass get out of control. Cheap ones can be had 3rd party, and the tension is important to prevent breakage. If I had it to do over, I'd consider their trail cutter model. The finish mower cuts like it's meant for golf courses. I don't really care that much about my lawn.

I’ll answer the same way I answer the “what chain saw brand...?” question. Don’t buy a particular brand without a good dealer relationship and network. Even the best equipment breaks or needs service and having a good dealer close by is worth a lot.

We run all Deere equipment here on our little slice of Hell. Multiple dealers close by for parts and service when needed.

I went with a John Deere x580 and a mulching attachment in the end, despite all the somewhat outlandishly firebreathing but intruiging recommendations of Tool Time/Tim Taylor-grade earth moving equipment. I wanted the x590, but the missus didn't want to go out that much to gain 1.5 hp and deal with possible first gen EFI issues. In the end, I agreed with her, although I was making obscene grunting noises when I spotted a 1585. We'll make decisions about further attachments as we get closer to fall and winter. I'm still not entirely sold on a blower as opposed to a plow, having seen videos of what a bitch it is to unhook the deck and swap the belt to the blower. Now, on to the First World problems ATV question.

Are you looking for an ATV (4 wheeler) or UTV (sidexside)?

Hello
Long time lurking member, I read better than I write.
We have 50 acres and my wife has over 4 miles of trails cut through the woods for her dirt bikes.
I maintain the trails with a 50inch Torro zero turn on which I have AG tires on, it climbs things that scare me.
We also have a Kuboto BX2660 but too big to wander the trails with, use it to mow the field I shoot in.
And the 660 Grizzly plows the 200 yard driveway.
My 2 cents, which you can leave on the counter like we all do ;-)

Rich

Last edited:
Are you looking for an ATV (4 wheeler) or UTV (sidexside)?

A UTV would make more elegant sense, were the trees sparser where I wanted to go and the land less steep. I'm thinking ATV.

After renting a RAZR 1000 last year and going around the Alpine loop in Colorado, I have been trying to justify buying one, so let the discussion begin.....

Reactions: Rthur
A UTV would make more elegant sense, were the trees sparser where I wanted to go and the land less steep. I'm thinking ATV.
We have a Honda 450 4x4 that has been at work here to the mountains.
Put a good set of tires and only change the oil, good to go.
Low center of gravity and will climb more than most will try.

R

You climb into a razor and the really aren’t for work. I like ranger, just wish they would move the damn shifter to where I wouldn’t bang my knee on it.

Double cab is great for hauling people and in open field, sucks in the woods though. It’s like driving a limo. When my kids ride it the dogs load up in the backseat.

You climb into a razor and the really aren’t for work. I like ranger, just wish they would move the damn shifter to where I wouldn’t bang my knee on it.

Double cab is great for hauling people and in open field, sucks in the woods though. It’s like driving a limo. When my kids ride it the dogs load up in the backseat.

There's only one trail that I might get a two-seater halfway up ... maybe. ATV is the ticket unless I really wanna Paul Bunyan it and hack the shit out of the woods, the point being that, well, they were there first and we like the fact that they are. What I really need to do is try to break a trail around the perimeter so that I can look for signs of idiots and post. Not, of course, that idiots respect posted land.

In that case I’d try to find a used Polaris sportsman or Honda foreman. The foreman I had the push button 4 x 4 went out. Otherwise no issues with either. This far from hunting season I bet you could find something nice for a around 3k. That’s about half what you’d pay for a new one. Go used because in a couple years you’ll be buying a sidexside.

There's no way at this point that I want a two-seater to go up through this tangle:

nSJ89YM.jpg

And I can't really justify it for the lower acreage (this is on the right side looking down towards the road):

MlFVFB6.jpg

There's work to be done. The dead pines at the bend need to go, the shed's worthless, high dead center there's a dead, wind-toppled pine that's horked up its root ball, stumps to be ground/pulled/dynamited, and two edgy-lookin' walnuts (one of them is to the left, out of the shot) that might just go to the sawmill pretty soon. I'd love to get a table top out of one of them, at least.

dP8pix4.jpg

I still want the 1585. It looks like it's built to fight aliens. I just need to figure out where to take it to to get the necessaries welded up.

Up to 3 or 4 inches, I’d run that shit over with my ranger, no shit... whatever you get, go to a sthil shop and pick up on of those $175 saws. It’s weak, but light and has more bar than a climbing saw. Scout, cut, drag to make small piles for rabbits. No matter what you get, some of that will be needed.

I’ll give it one more go. What’s your wife more likely to get in/on for a little ride in the woods to a stacked rock fire ring? Not to be more of an ahole than needed, but you’re no spring chicken, right? Would you rather step into a ranger or saddle a four wheeler? The single cabs aren’t too bad in the woods. Probably no worse than the old full time 4x4’s (they don’t turn for shit).

Whatever you do, looks like you’ve got a pretty place and hope you enjoy it.

Up to 3 or 4 inches, I’d run that shit over with my ranger, no shit... whatever you get, go to a sthil shop and pick up on of those $175 saws. It’s weak, but light and has more bar than a climbing saw. Scout, cut, drag to make small piles for rabbits. No matter what you get, some of that will be needed.

I’ll give it one more go. What’s your wife more likely to get in/on for a little ride in the woods to a stacked rock fire ring? Not to be more of an ahole than needed, but you’re no spring chicken, right? Would you rather step into a ranger or saddle a four wheeler? The single cabs aren’t too bad in the woods. Probably no worse than the old full time 4x4’s (they don’t turn for shit).

Whatever you do, looks like you’ve got a pretty place and hope you enjoy it.

I hear what you're saying, but I might get more play out of a Jotul built into the master bedroom than I would from a fire pit dug in anywhere else.

Nevertheless, the advice is earnest and well-intentioned.

Dang, this thread has run it's course and I didn't even get the opportunity to recommend one of these....
Congrats on the acreage. You're gonna dig it.

Attachments

• skid 001.JPG
    skid 001.JPG
    805.2 KB · Views: 20
Love my Kubota BX2380.
Plenty of power and lots of options for different attachments/implements.
Cant go wrong with a Kubota.