• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lawton or Stiller? Also need a trigger

SIG383

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2010
South Hill/Puyallup, WA
Trying to decide between a Lawton 7000, or a Stiller Predator action for my 6.5x47Lapua build. Was originally going to go with just a R700 stainless setup, but my uncle/smith, was saying it's been hard to find just a reciever in the stainless. And buying a new rifle to pull the reciever from is about the same price as one of these actions.

If I was going to decide right now, I'd go with the Lawton. That's just because I've heard more about it. But then I ran across the Stiller, and they seem pretty good to. So, what are everyone's thoughts out there on these?

Also, does anyone have an old factory R700 trigger setup laying around? Or at least the housing? He said he's got some extra parts to make a nice trigger for it, but no housings.

All I know is I'd like to have my rifle finished, or close to it by the time I get back from Iraq!! Thanks, John

Re: Lawton or Stiller? Also need a trigger

I would go with a Stiller.

I've been more than pleased with all my Stillers. I have zero complaints about them, and would buy again.

of the 2 i would definetly choose stiller, however if it was a remington clone i was after i would get a defiance machine with aw magwell. skunkworks is having a group buy on these right now and they are great actions alittle more money but they are the smoothest action i have felt along with a 1piece bolt double pinned recoil lug. look into them you won't regret it. defiance is the company making the templar actions for gap if that tells you anything.

Anything but Lawton. Notice they aren't a vendor on here anymore.

The stiller actions that shilen is using look very nice. They have a savage style nut, so you can swap barrels very easily. I bet you could get one straight from Stiller.

To be blunt, what is wrong with Lawton? I admit, I'm very new at all the custom rifle talk. Before this build, I only knew of a few custom actions. Thank you for all the input!

Still need a trigger too.

Their quality control went down the toilet. I ordered a complete action + barrel from them.

Things wrong with it:
They never bothered to install the break I sent them, so it was mistimed.
There were chunks missing out of the barrel.
The bolt was covered in rust.
etc.

All,

I usually stay out of these conversations, but I would be doing Lawton a disservice if I did not post. Lawton is small company with a strong following in non-tactical circles. Few action makers have stepped up to the plate in the way that Lawton has to service the ELR community. Are they without issues? No. But they are an American company, with a great product, that merits consideration from the original poster.

Stiller builds a great action too and I would not hesitate to use another.

-Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their quality control went down the toilet. I ordered a complete action + barrel from them.

Things wrong with it:
etc. </div></div> Wow, my next build I <span style="font-weight: bold">was</span> going to order a barreled action from them.

I've used several Stillers, and intend to do so again in the future.

I have 4 lawton actions and have been pleased with them. My son shot his national record with a lawton action. They have done great by me.

That's not a real choice: Stiller is the clear way to go. If you want some other actions to look at in addition to Stiller, then:
Defiance Machine
Pierce Engineering
Borden
Surgeon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooter-PIE</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That's not a real choice</div></div>

Scooter,

No disrespect, but I am curious if you had a bad experience with Lawton personally?

-Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poison123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Their quality control went down the toilet. I ordered a complete action + barrel from them.

Things wrong with it:
etc. </div></div>

Have to ask you;If Lawton did not install your break,who did install it wrong? Also,trying to get a visual on chunks missing out of the barrel,inside the bore or on the outside,or the breech or crown?

BTW,I did read their disclaimer on the site about possible rust on bolts and think that part is BS on their end.Mine is SS so was not an issue.

I sent them the break to put on, and they threaded the barrel for it. But never actually physically put it on and the best part they notify me after the action is shipped out they forgot to include it so they shipped it separate. Was obvious they never even opened the manfu packaging it came in.

The neck after the threading was missing a chunk, so it was all exterior. Ya ya I know rifles get beat up and dinged while shot, but to come brand new like that was unacceptable.

In 3 weeks, my one lawton build will be 1 year in the making. Started out as a group buy here.

I say stiller even though I currently have 2 other builds on lawton actions.

Best of luck to ya.

Hers my opinion after owning several of each. The stiller is a fine action but i know for a fact that there predator actions arent always 100% true. We have checked them!! They shoot good though. They also have a nice finish and are usually available for immediate delivery. The stiller tac or predator also has one of the best modified M16 style extractors on the market. Now the Lawton. these actions are tanks. they are true and straight. I had some issues with both of mine ejecting Br size cases. Both of mine were very accurate. The final finish on my stainless Lawton was average. If i were going to build a hunting/ tactical and i had to pick one of these two it would be the stiller. If i were going to build a target rifle it would be the Lawton. I think they each have there strong and weak points just like anything else. lee

I bought a Lawton 7000 from a member here on the hide and it is a great rifle.And would not hesitate to get another one..

0611001344b.jpg