• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lawton rifles thread!

teknikallysekure

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Hello all, I was wondering there seems to be a few different collections of rifle threads but no Lawton?

Would any of you be willing to share pictures of your Lawton rifles?

I'd like to see them if it's not to much trouble!

Lawton is an official sponsor now, seems like a good day to kick off a thread with some of their rifles.

Thanks in advance for sharing.

Edited to add: I wouldn't even mind seeing some of the BR rifles if ya got 'em.
    smile.gif

Re: Lawton rifles thread!

That's one kick ass 6-284 stick you have there Lancer. Also, great shooting range. I am jealous.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Longshot38</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lancer those are some very nice sticks. What actions are they?</div></div>
    6-284 is 7500
    .338 Edge is 8500

About 4 weeks till my 7500 arrives!!! I cant wait as its my first custom actioned rifle..

Picture011.jpg

Heres some crappy pics of my Lawton action for my 7mm-300wsm

The bolt looks like the black is fading off of it but its not. Its the flash of the camera.

Damn, I got two on the way, and will post pics when I get them both, but this thread is sure making me anxious!! mine will be:

8500 .375/408 and a 7500 dual port in 6x47 Lapua (should end up looking very close to the 6x284 up top).

Keep 'em coming! Nice rifles

Dave

Im gonna own a .375-.408 rig someday! that one badass cartridge.

Hope to have my 375 CT on a Lawton 8000 this weekend...at least the Barreled action.

They not only build awsome actions but the barrels are some of the best money can buy.
    Thanks Lawton Machine for all the support,
    Mac's

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lancer, What barrels are you guys running?</div></div>

Lawton barrel on both.

Cool, Whats your thoughts on there barrels? My 7500 has a 6.5mm 9-twist cut rifling. I cant wait to try it out.

On another note, Is the 8500 action just a smaller version of the 8000?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool, Whats your thoughts on there barrels? My 7500 has a 6.5mm 9-twist cut rifling. I cant wait to try it out.

On another note, Is the 8500 action just a smaller version of the 8000? </div></div>

For the first question, I best not consider myself an experienced enough hand to pass judgement on brands of barrels. Both my Lawtons have shot well thus far.

As for the second, the answer to that would be here: http://www.lawtonriflebarrels.com/Actions.htm

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool, Whats your thoughts on there barrels? </div></div>

I got one of there barrels and I really like it. The only complaint I have about it is that if fouls really bad with Nosler Accubonds. However the rifle still shoots 1/4 minute.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackhawk95</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cool, Whats your thoughts on there barrels? My 7500 has a 6.5mm 9-twist cut rifling. I cant wait to try it out.

On another note, Is the 8500 action just a smaller version of the 8000? </div></div>

The 8500 is more of a larger 7500 or 7000. It has a rem 700 footprint with a larger outside diam, more barrel tenon area and 1.125"-16 thread instead of the 1.0625"-16 thread on a remy.

my Lawton experience

April 28, 2008: I order my 400x single shot, no-flute bolt, one piece bolt handle with handle swept back, aluminum 20MOA sight base. Estimated delivery time 3 months. I was trying to keep this rifle "made in montana" so I also planned on a Lilja barrel chambered in .284 Winchester.

June 2, 2008: paid in full

December 19, 2008: picked up action from local FFL. The wait was loaded with excuses and is uncalled for. Please notice the "modified" serial number. Every Lawton I've ever seen uses only digits on the SN# but this one has an "A" scratched in with what looks like a sharp screwdriver!. I just know that the SN assigned to my build was shipped off to god knows who after about three months then oops, they have to build me another one... Also notice the machine shavings in bolt and no sight base.

1.jpg

2.jpg

December 24, 2008: shipped action back to Lawton for repairs. They promise a speedy turn around. I asked them to fix the SN#, send me the sight base and the handle is OK, it's kind of growing on me.

February 6, 2009: UPS delivers new action. Pretty nice. It is straight, smooth, tight, I like it. Still no sight base. Call Lawton and have them send me the base I ordered and paid for.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

February 12, 2009: I get sight base delivered. Great. Try to attach it to action. This sight base is for a long action. Call Lawton.

7.jpg

February 20, 2009: Again call lawton "where's my aluminum 20MOA sight base for a short action?" They say they don't have any aluminum 20MOA bases for short action, can we send you a steel one? "sure"

February 27, 2009: I get steel 20MOA sight base for short action and try to put it on action. I'm rather disappointed that it doesn't look or fit like the one on their websight, It is beadblasted and not finished to match the action, there are no attachment screws like the long action sight base came with. Well at least I have it and can continue with the build. Starting at the front, I thread in the 8x40 screws I have in my shop. Starting at the front of the action I begin threading the screws in. #1,#2,#3 then I attemp #4, the rear most screw won't thread, hum, let's have alook to see the problem.

8.jpg

9.jpg

12.jpg

The dog gone sight base screw spacing is wrong. Can anything else go wrong? Honestly I am sick of dealing with lawton, I'm going to pay my gunsmith to fix the thing and I'm going to sell it. I have never had so many problems trying to spend nearly $1,000.

Jeremy

Re: my Lawton experience

Sorry that you had so many problems with your order. The first action was not suppose to be sent out to you it was a ambitious new sec that just wanted to get stuff out. After talking to me you returned the action and it was replaced with the correct one right away. Next you got a base that she sent to you but didnt check first. Which hardly ever happens. We were waiting on the alum bases to get done and got told by the maker that they wernt getting made for us anymore. So you got sent one that was just laying around. I have the correct new base sitting here for you. Sometimes you just gotta do things yourself if you want them done right. Let me know and i will ship it out right away no charge. We stand behind our product 100%.

I understand Chachi's frustration with the build, a lot of people have been there.

It however does look like Lawton is taking the necessary steps to back their product. This speaks volumes about Lawton IMO. Let's not forget how crazy the gun market has become, it's crazy enough for people just trying to buy a gun, but think of the stress the manufacture's are going through just to keep customers happy, and returning customers. You may be upset about your product being wrong, but more often then not I guarantee you the manufactures (Lawton) are far more upset for dropping the ball on your product.

It's how a company takes care of their customers when something goes wrong that really counts. One displeased customer can turn many people off to that manufacturer, and it seems Lawton is stepping up to take care of it.

IMHO
    -.brian

I have a Lawton 7500 action and 30 cal barrel. The set shoots extremely well. I get to see if I can take out some 1 mile steel again this Sunday.

I have a Lawton 7000 long action that is waiting for a barrel. As soon as its done I'll post some pics.

Don't forget that 08 and early 09 have been very difficult for the Lawton family. It's a small business that lost a giant of a man and that's difficult to overcome. I think they will though.

It's a good business made up of good people. From experience with my business I can say that the vast majority of transactions go very well, but it seems that when one goes wrong a bunch of things go wrong with that sale, not just one thing.

Here's Mine:

Lawton 8000
    Lawton 30" 11.5:1 twist, 375 CT
    Lawton Brake
    Manners T4-A
    NF NXS 5.5-22X56 MLR, Mil Turrets
    McCann front rail system to mount KAC UNS-LRLP
    Waiting on RND bipod to mount on front rail

375-4081.jpg

Re: Lawton Rifle Thread

IRS50BMG,

Oh my gosh! thats my dream rifle right there!!
    I think Ive seen that rifle on the Viersco site.

If I could order uo anything I wanted right now it would be one of those but in the .338 snipe-tac

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one our guy's guns.

OLDBLUE001.jpg

OLDBLUE002.jpg

OLDBLUE.jpg

</div></div>

what type of finish is on action and barrel ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sendero_man</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NotAGuru</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is one our guy's guns.

OLDBLUE001.jpg

OLDBLUE002.jpg

OLDBLUE.jpg

</div></div>

what type of finish is on action and barrel ? </div></div>

That is a powder coat. Looks like a roasting pan huh???

Got that from Model "1" Sales:
    http://www.model1sales.com/item-detail.c...FTOKEN=28462032

The grip itself is light so I question how stout it really is. I like the palm shelf. The ridge that sticks out on the right side, for your trigger finger to sit on, is a bit sharp, and I may sand that a little. It really digs into my palm between my forefinger and middle finger. Had to dremel a little off the top to get it to fit Scott's stock squarely. I don't remeber the length screw I had to get, but I am fairly certain a standard AR grip screw won't fit it.

view from a different angle:
    2441627696_9a1dd520ab.jpg

My Lawton 8000 375CT got turned into an Exrteme Range benchrest rifle.

I machined a 1 inch thick/3inch wide piece of steel to replace the aluminum forend and drilled and tapped it for 1/4x20 screws to fasten to the receiver stock.Then installed a bag rider into the bottom of the butt stock.

The rifle weighs 34lbs now and tracks perfectly.It is very pleasant to shoot now.
    DSC00133.jpg

DSC00132.jpg

Steve

Here's my new toy, pics courtesy of Stacey Blankenship after he got my Nightforce mounted yesterday. Can't wait to get her here for some trigger time now! Specs are as follows:

375 Cheytac
    Lawton 8500 action right bolt/left port
    Lawton 32" 1-11.5" twist barrel w/ brake
    Lawton tactical bolt handle
    Idaho taper contour
    Jewell trigger
    Sunny Hill trigger guard
    McMillan A5 adjustable in GAP colors
    bedded by McMillan
    Lawton 40 MOA base
    Nightforce 5.5-22x50 NXS Mil/MLR zero stop
    Nightforce Ultralight rings .885" height
    Butler Creek caps

bigbore1.jpg

bigbore2.jpg

bigbore3.jpg

I'll be Duracoating the barreled action in flat OD green after she gets home. Might do the scope too, not sure yet. After the coating I'll put up some bigger pics of her. Big thanks to Bobby Lawton & crew, Heather & Dick at McMillan, & Stacey Blankenship for the optics hook up and handling the FFL transfer for me.

Here is mine, Lawton 7000 in 6.5x55, Manners MCS-T OD Duracoat. It now has Badger floorplate in place of the AI magazine setup shown.

P1010126.jpg

P1010136.jpg

European Roe Buck Target at 400 yds, three rounds in 1.5" group , which was my first ever attempt at 'longer range'

Rooebuck400JPG.jpg

I am using 120 Gn NBT in Lapua brass, 49.0 Gns RL22 at .025" off the lands, if thats of any interest to 6.5x55 users.

Anyone have ideas or experience on other magazine systems that would be smooth operating and less 'clunky' than the Badger product? The floorplate release is fiddly with cold fingers on a hunting rifle, although that is probably heresy to even mention it on this site.

T260

I have some 333 gr Lehigh solids, 350 gr Hooker solids, & some 350 gr Matchkings to try. Not really expecting a lot out of the SMK's after seeing some other guy's experience with them, but I might be surprised. Hopefully the Lehighs will be the ticket, at least I can get them no problem.