• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LBT 6094A or TYR BPC/GPC or PICO?

Graham

Generalissimo
Minuteman
Oct 30, 2007
Michigan
Of the following:

LBT 6094A
TYR BPC/GPC
TYR PICO

To those of you who have used one for more than a few hours at a time, could I get your opinion/review on which is most comfortable while wearing the plates, and specifically what you did not like about it. Cost is not a factor. Comfort is most important. Thanks.

I have the LBT 6094A, a PIG from SKD tactical, and a pc (forgot the name) from Beez Combat Systems. While the LBT is a quality product and is comfortable, I prefer the PIG. The PIG fits me well (6'2", 200 lbs) and is the most comfortable of the three. It carries the plates high to protect vital areas and is adjustable to use different size plates (I use medium). Check out he link below and be sure to watch the videos toward the bottom of the page to see the PIG's many features.

PIG Plate Carrier

I have no experience with the Tyr carriers but, based on their other gear that I have, I'm sure they are well thought out and of high quality.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. I have seen the PIG, but never tried one.

I am looking for a small, lightweight, but full carrier with no side armor. The goal is to have the carrier fit well and not slop around.

The Mayflower APC is another quality PC that is light and comfortable with modularity to build it up if mission requirements dictate a different loadout.

Of the following:

LBT 6094A
TYR BPC/GPC
TYR PICO

To those of you who have used one for more than a few hours at a time, could I get your opinion/review on which is most comfortable while wearing the plates, and specifically what you did not like about it. Cost is not a factor. Comfort is most important. Thanks.

Graham,

I have the LBT 6094A. I am 6'1" tall and weigh 185 pounds. This is the plate carrier size for me, as they come in 3 sizes, the 6094A (Medium), 6094B (Large) and 6094C (extra large). I run size large (10x12 inch) level IV multi-curve ceramic rifle plates. These fit very nice and snug in the 6094A. I originally started with the 6094C and they slopped around a lot and pretty much the 6094C was WAY too big for me. The vest is mostly designed for the ESAPI plates that the military issues. So the cut is mostly for the military. But the regular plates work well also. I have worn this for about 50 hours in the last year. I have no other experience with any other plate carriers.

I would recommend the swimmers cut instead of the full cut. Even with the swimmers cut away, the plates still get in the way of my shoulder and the AR-15. But I am sure you must already know this.

Another recommendation is the LBT-2711 CASS system, but I believe that London Bridge stop making them. Probably because no one purchased them. After a full day of lugging around Level IV's, I sure wish I had that system to put the weight on my waist. OR maybe I am just getting old.

Graham,
I actually ran an LBT 6094B while in the service. I love it and still have it. As the poster above stated the swimmers cut is the dead nuts for this carrier (my opinion). I have extremely narrow shoulders (38-40") for a guy my size/height. Most of the time our load out was pretty light. The PC was very comfortable, I never had problems with it at all. LBT is also a stand up company. I recently has a friend who purchased a Bravo and needed to come down to an Alpha. He's 5'8 170 lbs and pretty stacked for a little guy. LBT exchanged it and paid for the shipping both ways. Awesome people to deal with. I am 6'0 180 lbs and with plates and a typical load out the bravo fits me really well, doesn't bounce around is secure. Can't say enough good things about my experiences with LBT gear and/or the PC, no complaints.
Every now and again, I will hit the range with my carrier for shits and giggles still as comfy as ever.

Last edited:
Of the following:

LBT 6094A
TYR BPC/GPC
TYR PICO

Comfortable doing WHAT? Hiking difficult inclines/declines terrain in the winter (an extra layer) or hiking flat lands in the summer (breathability). Or riding in a vehicle (non-armored civvie truck or APC where flexibility & the RIDE is important). Or just standing around a live fire range observing?

Are you just going to be rocking a clean PC or will you be loading it up with kit: Commo, mags & pouches?

What plates are you going to run? Ceramic 6#+ or UHMWDPE 3#-'rs.

(If coverage is not an issue, go smaller plates and/or SWIMMER cut plates.)

#1. TYR PICO AAPC. If I didn't know any of the answers to the above and money wasn't a concern, then I would go with the TYR PICO AAPC system. You will need to know what SIZE you will be wearing and WHAT make of plates you will be using. The TYR is the most adaptable to the missions that general call for wearing a PC.

#2. SKD PIG PC. If I couldn't wait the 45-60 business days for the TYR then I would go with the SKD PIG PC for comfort. The shoulders are comfy and it rides well. I haven't 'jocked it up' with kit and walked the terrain though, only slick and in & out of vehicles & buildings.

#3. LBT-6094. The next all around GO TO PC would be the LBT-6094 system. I still have one in my locker at work, in case I leave my PIG in some-ones vehicle and it drives away...

##Other considerations: LIGHT WEIGHT PC: Armor Carriers : PLATEminus I have SEEN this, and the guys wearing it said it was LIGHTWEIGHT & nice. If you are going slick, this would be the way TO GO as it weighs less than a pound empty!

~Will

I have two different LBT-6094 plate carriers. One is a 6094M which is a bit older model that was their large size. I bought it directly from LBT with soft armor and have worn it for work for the past three years and really like it. I have a set of medium esapi plates in it and the fit for me is perfect. Several months ago I bought a 6094-Slick carrier to try out. This works well especially when wearing under my soft shell / hard shell and layering winter clothing over it. For it's intended purpose it's perfect.

There's some really good options available, it just depends on exactly what you're purpose is, if you need more or less when it comes to molle or attaching points.

IMG_1728-Copy_zps2db04170.jpg

Comfortable doing WHAT? Hiking difficult inclines/declines terrain in the winter (an extra layer) or hiking flat lands in the summer (breathability). Or riding in a vehicle (non-armored civvie truck or APC where flexibility & the RIDE is important). Or just standing around a live fire range observing?

Are you just going to be rocking a clean PC or will you be loading it up with kit: Commo, mags & pouches?

What plates are you going to run? Ceramic 6#+ or UHMWDPE 3#-'rs.
I always chuckle when companies advertise 'breathability': Plates don't breathe, neither does soft armor. And, of course, none of it will when you throw an external shell over it - Gore Tex or otherwise.

Coverage is less of an issue than vehicle comfort, in regular seats.

Plate carrier, clean-ish, fastened with either stays or buckles. Everything bulky, like water, GPS, med kit, smoke, and ear pro are in a bag. Must ride high enough to properly clear a battle belt with pistol, spare rifle mags, and radio.

Thanks for the suggestion on the Blueforce. I'll ask around.

Last edited:
I know it's not on your list, but I have been using the Crye JPC for the last couple years and really like it for my needs. Pretty much everything I need and not a lot I dont.

Proper fit is important. It appears you want it to ride high for vehicle use, which is the correct way. Sitting in a vehicle would require a smaller plate, so if the LBT line is your thing, then you would need to get the LBT-6094A.

Here is a file that explains exactly how a plate carrier is supposed to fit and why they were designed the way they were:

View attachment Proper Wear of Plate Armor.pdf

I am always amazed at how improper people fit their plate carriers.

One thing I did forget to mention. With the 6094 Slick, there is molle webbing on the back, just not the front if that's important. With the M model I have also in the photo one thing to think about if looking at or needing less bulk is the soft armor in the sides if you opted for it. If I pulled mine out it would slim it down some but then again I don't wear it to snug as I'm a bit lazy about things and have it set up to just slip on & off over my head.

Also as mentioned above, the folks at LBT are awesome to deal with. If you ever have a chance go to their facility, meet the guys behind the scenes, you'll get to see what goes into the development of the products and see where everything is made. I had no idea until my first trip there.

My recommendation is the TYR PICO, I've posted a few pics here in the past of it when others have asked similar questions. I say this because its one of the most modular of the systems that is out there. If you haven't done so, I recommend you look at the TYR website as it can show you better than I can explain here in words what it is capable of. BLUF, it can go from a bare bones plate carrier with fastex side straps to a full up set of body armor simply by reconfiguring a few parts as needed. You can basically have a BPC/GPC with the PICO if you want to pare it down to that, conversely, you can beef up the PICO to full on Robocop mode as well. I have been using and wearing the PICO for several years now, I've jumped with it on HALO jumps, rode in vehicles, and worn it for days on end everyday. I've also worn the TYR Brokos belt along with it, so it also fits your stated needs.

The LBT gear is good, no question about it, but out of the ones you listed, I recommend the PICO simply because it gives you the ability to tailor it as you see fit, most others can't do that. As a frame of reference, I also have Crye PC and blast belt and Paraclete body armor issued to me for work and have spent a good deal of time in both of them as well but I always seem to end up in my PICO and brokos battle belt with soft armor.

I would also recommend swimmers/shooters cut plates, they are well worth it and a lot more comfortable.

Thanks. That helps.

The PICO is nice. I've seen Feds with it, and they like it. I don't need Robocop mode, though.

That brokos belt is very nice. It might replace what I have now.

Liking the low vis PICO as well...

Brokos licensed the battlebelt design to several gear makers so its possible to see it made by other companies and called the Brokos belt, I've got one built by US Palm that looks similar but it doesn't have the soft armor in it. The TYR one can use soft armor or just the foam for those who don't need the ballistic protection, some of the other companies versions don't even allow you to insert foam/armor and are thus thinner

fk3688.jpg

2qi7lau.jpg