• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LC LR brass decent to reload?

m1ajunkie

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Boise, ID
Back in the day (10ish years ago) LC LR brass was generally thought of as decent brass for reloading. Is that still the case?

Thanks

Back in the day (10ish years ago) LC LR brass was generally thought of as decent brass for reloading. Is that still the case?

Thanks

I just posted about this on another thread, but it fits better here.

I did the same as you...bought ~500 LC LR '12 brass for loading in my M24R (for "authenticity" 😄) about six or so years ago.

Never had great ES and SDs...usually down around 25 and 12 with the loads the rifle liked, and could sometimes be upward of 30 and 15.

Finally got around to measuring H2O capacity on just 10 cases the other night as I have a bunch of FC '14 cases and wanted to compare capacity to see how close they were for load data.

Had (3) of the LC LR cases with an abnormal light case weight of about 2.5 grains less than the other (7), but it didn't affect the capacity. What I did find in just those 10 cases though was an ES of .9gr, and an SD of nearly a half grain. For comparison, the FC '14 had an ES of .5, and an SD down around .3.

I have a pretty good load for that M24R with the LC LR '12 brass in spite of the velocity spread, but admittedly I don't shoot that rifle past 400 much. It is a really consistent .5 - .6 MOA load out to 400...but I fear that if you doubled that distance (along with my lack of skill) it would probably open up a bit.
If I were a competitor, I'd look into using different brass for sure.

[mk 316 mod 0]
Specification Development (continued)
Each production lot consists of a single lot of projectiles, cases, propellant, and primers
Apparently, prior to 2009, A single box of M118 "LR" was made up of jumbles of OEM lots of powder, primers, cases, etc.

Brass-wise It’s relatively cheap, easy to work with & produces decent 308 ammo. SD can be all over the map as ive had lots as low as 8-10 SD (20 rounds) but usually not more than high teens/low 20a (this higher SD will be unacceptable for those needing to hold very tight vertical dispersion at any distance beyond 500m or so). That said, it’s capable of performing reasonably well at distance if you’re just banging steel.

Reactions: simonp