• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LE Marksman/Sniper ammunition

B4forever

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 14, 2012
Central Oregon
Hey guys, I am in the research process of selecting a new round for our SWAT snipers. Currently we are shooting 168gr FGMM, but I'd like to switch to something with better terminal ballistics. We may also select a second round to be used when barrier penetration is needed. So far my top choice is Hornady TAP 155gr and TAP Barrier. We are shooting FN SPR's with 1/12 twist barrels. What are you guys using and what kind of results are you getting? Anybody know what HRT is issuing?

I'm thinking the 168 AMAX load would be closer to POI of the 165 grain barrier load, though at LE ranges, it might be insignificant.

The nice thing about the hornady load is that it is reasonably priced (and accurate) and apparently has better terminal effects.

Some departments are using the winchester ballistic silvertip load. Supposed to be very accurate, but it is quite spendy.

The 168 AMAX is a contender. The reason I was leaning toward the 155 was less penetration. I need to shoot both and see which is more consistant through my rifle.

We went through this years ago. I too, wanted to use the 155 but it shot horribly through our rifles. We went with the 168 A-Max for general use and the 180 AccuBond for barriers, both Black Hills loads. I have been very please with the performance. Before the ammo craze hit, BHA and Hornady would send T&E samples to agencies but I don't know if that is still in effect.

Ken

Contact Snipercraft and ask on that one. Black Hills and Hornady both offer several popular choices, as does Speer.