• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LE Scope selection ATACR vs MK5

Jlmccrarey

Private
Minuteman
Oct 3, 2021
Evansville IN
Hey guys, I am looking at switching from my NX8 2.5-20 on my .308 bolt gun (KRG CHASSIS ARC action) to something new. I’m looking at the ATACR 4-20 with mil xt MRAD reticle vs the Leupold MK5HD 3.6-18 with PR1 reticle MRAD. Most of our work is up close but we train out to 800 yards plus sometimes and also I would somewhat like to use this rifle for PRS matches as additional training. Will be using a Spuhr mount either way. One of the issues I’ve had with the NX8 is eye relief and eye box but with the current setup I have, I cannot move the scope any closer to my eye. Thanks for the input in advance!

If your only options are those 2… ATACR F1 with the MIL-XT all day long.

But, if you can choose others, the Kahles K318i SKMR3, or the K525i or K624i with the SKMR4 reticle would be an awesome option. 👍🏼

My vote goes to the ATACR. I’ve owned several including the 4-20. Very nice optic

I would think warranty work, and ease there of, should be considered for duty use.

Most of our work is up close
I'd also look at the 4-16 ATACR w/ Mil-XT, it has slightly thicker crosshairs/subtensions (although the 4-20 aren't far off) & 16x is easily serviceable beyond 1,000yds

I'd forget about the Mk5

LE optics requirements and PRS don't mesh.
A 3-18, providing there is sufficient field of view is a solid choice for an LE optic.
I run a 2.5-15 Credo as I want the most field of view I can get with a decent top end.
SFP is more suitable for an LE deployment, that being said, if the reticle is done properly, a FFP is usable.
LE optics are not served well with Xmas tree reticles.
The steiner 2.5-15 or 3-18 with the MSR2 Mil reticle or, in the case of the 2.5-15, the SCR reticle MIGHT be usable, depending on how thin the reticles are.
Too thin does not serve you well in an LE environment, a thicker reticle does not serve you well in PRS.
As said, you need field of view. A high percentage of your deployments are well within 50 yards.
You also need the abilithy to focus at less than 50 yards.
The delta Stryker 3.5-21 might serve you pretty well, enough mag to shoot to distance, 9 meter parallax focus, available with a simple holdover reticle without the xmas tree.
If I was dead set on a FFP, it would probably be the steiner 3-18

Reactions: dirtybores
Why those?

If your agency is anything like any agency I've ever worked for or have trained with, there's probably is a dude somewhere up the totem pole that doesn't know shit, who's already bent on you having a certain scope (that he probably saw on the cover of Guns & Ammo at the grocery store or something).

If you don't want to end up with something like a Leupold MK5 in MOA from 10 years ago, you need to start convincing that guy that your favorite scope is his new favorite scope.

Why are you looking to move away from the NX8 2.5-20?

I have the 2.5-20, ATACR 7-35, ATACR 4-16 all in T3. I have a bunch of time on the ATACR 4-20. The 7-35 and the 4-20 are so close in size and weight I can’t bring myself to get a 4-20. The 4-16 and 2.5-20 are almost identical in size and weight. I like the 2.5-20 over the 4-16. I wanna try the MK5 3-18.

Why are you looking to move away from the NX8 2.5-20?

I have the 2.5-20, ATACR 7-35, ATACR 4-16 all in T3. I have a bunch of time on the ATACR 4-20. The 7-35 and the 4-20 are so close in size and weight I can’t bring myself to get a 4-20. The 4-16 and 2.5-20 are almost identical in size and weight. I like the 2.5-20 over the 4-16. I wanna try the MK5 3-18.
I would look through a MK5 3-18 first before you buy. I had one, didn't like the glass and didn't like the sight picture as it was small. Sold it off, and was contemplating on getting another one. Looked through a friends MK5 and it brought back memories on why I sold it in the first place.

I just went through this exact dilemma with new rigs for work. We didn’t have ATACR money so our choices were narrowed to the NX8 2.5-20 with Mil-C or MK5 3-18 with PR-1.

My thoughts on the NX8 were exactly the same as yours. Eye box was unforgiving. I wanted to like this scope but just couldn’t do it.

We chose the MK5 with PR-1. The scope is great and I like everything about it. Honestly, the only downside is the reticle. It’s not as easy to quickly hold over as the Mil-C, it definitely takes some getting used to. But we’re happy with our choice.