• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LE Wilson Case Trimmer Question

mfloski

Private
Minuteman
Jun 27, 2017
I bought one along with the 0.308 “new brass” body holder. I resize with a Redding Type S full length sizing die but the brass won’t slide into the body holder far enough to stick out the other side. I tried a loaded new factory federal round and it slid all the way through like it was supposed to. Any thoughts?

Your die doesn‘t size the case to factory new dimensions. For that you should get a small base die.

They sell a holder for “new” and a different one for “fired” cases. One part #will start “ch” the other “nch”. They have different body diameters. If you have a small base die, you might get the fired case small enough to go in the “NCH” holder but otherwise, you’ll need a “CH”.

Ok…I knew they had both but their website said the new one for new and full length sized brass.

The holders taper so make sure you’re inserting it the correct direction….?

I have an email in to LE Wilson. Guess I’ll wait on what they have to say.

Ok…I knew they had both but their website said the new one for new and full length sized brass.

Different dies size brass to different dimensions. Take any die from any manufacturer and they will produce different results.

If you’re anywhere near the Denver Metro, your welcome to borrow my CH holder to get running while you wait.

If you’re anywhere near the Denver Metro, your welcome to borrow my CH holder to get running while you wait.
Thanks man…little bit of a drive, TX! Lol but I appreciate the offer. I’ll prolly just pick up a fired brass holder.

Reactions: OREGUN
The “new” version of the holder is the correct one to use for full length sized cases or new brass. The “fired” one is only for neck-sized brass. Are you bumping your shoulders? That would be a good way to know if your case body is going entirely in the die.

Also… are you giving it a good tap on some kind of surface? It requires some more pressure than just pushing it through with your hands.

Here is the correct way to use them, straight from LE Wilson:

97CDD65B-E4EE-46FD-9932-CC9994B664C1.jpeg

B85F0D89-DC0B-472E-BB01-FB77798160AD.jpeg

Fired = Neck sized brass (unless they do not have a NEW version of your cartridge, like 223)
New = New and FL sized brass

Here is the correct way to use them, straight from LE Wilson:

View attachment 7678528
View attachment 7678529
Fired = Neck sized brass
New = New and FL sized brass

Yes thank you, I of course am fully aware and since I was planning to trim AFTER FULL BODY SIZING per the above I purchased the “NEW” body holder…..and the whole reason for the post is that my cases don’t fit the NEW after using a full length sizing die!

Yes thank you, I of course am fully aware and since I was planning to trim AFTER FULL BODY SIZING per the above I purchased the “NEW” body holder…..and the whole reason for the post is that my cases don’t fit the NEW after using a full length sizing die!
Yes I understand, was just correcting some of the above replies so as to not lead others astray.

As I asked above, are you giving the case a good tap on a hard surface or just trying to put it on with your hands only? It does require a little bit of force. Sinclair actually makes a platform that works well for the Wilson trimmer with a place to do this: https://www.brownells.com/reloading...rimmer-platform-sku749003706-34717-67408.aspx

That last paragraph literally describes your situation, OP.
12FAD4FE-E66F-4EE6-A5B5-8B0AFC6A4F2D.jpeg

for what it’s worth, I don’t ever trim new cases and I use standard case holders “ch” for all my fired and full length sized cartridges. Also, my cases slide in and come to a secure friction fit without any tapping. Sometimes a little more pressure than is comfortable on my fingertips is required to REMOVE the case after trimming…and thus I keep a small patch of leather handy at my trim station to press cases out of the holder.

Reactions: Rathmatik
That last paragraph literally describes your situation, OP.View attachment 7678534

for what it’s worth, I don’t ever trim new cases and I use standard case holders “ch” for all my fired and full length sized cartridges. Also, my cases slide in and come to a secure friction fit without any tapping. Sometimes a little more pressure than is comfortable on my fingertips is required to REMOVE the case after trimming…and thus I keep a small patch of leather handy at my trim station to press cases out of the holder.
Good catch, I completely looked past that. That should help then if he is indeed already tapping, etc. I guess some measurements would also be useful to see if his chamber appears large for that cartridge.

Regardless of what Wilson says, the “fired” holders typically do better with F/L sized cases.

I use their holders for several different tools and the fired always work better for every cartridge I mess with.

Also, the best way for fitment is to have someone take your fired brass and machine a Wilson holder for it. Bryan Blake at F class Products offers this service.