• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lead and nitrates

bax

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 25, 2009
Southwest Michigan
I charge cases by throwing a charge of IMR 4064 then use an Omega to trickle to the right number on a Sartorius. I notice after about 50 cases that my vision is changing - eyes dry, lots of blinking, and hard to focus. Smokeless powder consists of various organic nitrates, some include nitroglycerin - used to treat acute angina. I looked up the physiological effect of nitrates on eyes, they reduce the pressure in eyeballs and that got me to wondering. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? I am also concentrating on the job, maybe that causes me to reduce blinking. Maybe the light in my room is causing this. I plan to get my eyes checked, maybe there is another cause I haven't thought of.

Early in the reloading cycle, I tumble cases. I use a Dillon media separator. There is a lot of powder residue on fired cases. Tumbling scrapes that residue off the cases and mixes in with the media. I'm wondering if the separator throws a bunch of lead-filled dust into the air. Lead has a nasty effect on the nervous system. I had the lead level in my blood tested and it was just above the normal range. Has anyone else thought about this? Have you done anything? Does anyone wear gloves or a dust mask? Did you move your tumbling outside or away from your work location?

I'm wondering if the separator throws a bunch of lead-filled dust into the air. Lead has a nasty effect on the nervous system. I had the lead level in my blood tested and it was just above the normal range. Has anyone else thought about this? Have you done anything? Does anyone wear gloves or a dust mask? Did you move your tumbling outside or away from your work location?
We are using copper jacketed bullets with polymer or HP tips, not sure we get any exposed lead so wondering if this is even an issue? Been hand loading lead shot since age 5 ( Dad was areal taskmaster) and shot a lot of MZ lead roundball matches at age 62 yet to have ill effects.

I tumble my brass in an out building and then separate the media from brass outside.

We are using copper jacketed bullets with polymer or HP tips, not sure we get any exposed lead so wondering if this is even an issue? Been hand loading lead shot since age 5 ( Dad was areal taskmaster) and shot a lot of MZ lead roundball matches at age 62 yet to have ill effects.

In most rifles (all but 22LR), I shoot jacketed bullets. Maybe lead exposure is more of an issue for cast pistol bullets or shotshell?

Maybe your unusual reaction to stuff you shouldn’t be reacting to is a symptom of something else?

I highly doubt the level of passive exposure to nitro in smokeless powder would cause any symptoms unless you’re exceptionally sensative to it. We use Nitro as a sublingual and topical med, but all are done in a concentrated means (localized into one area). The exposure from pouring powder into a hopper, then placing a lid back onto the bottle/hopper would be minimal at best. The only way it may be contacting your eyes enough to cause issues would be if you were handling it and then rubbing your eyes. Another issue may be years of buildup and poor ventilation, but that would be more of a cause for lead poisioning than nitro exposure.

We see people with elevated lead levels, but they are in the ammo production buisness or casting their own bullets. If in doubt, speak to your Dr and have a blood test done to ensure your lead levels arent too high.

I moved my tumbler outside in the garage-noise.
My powder stays somewhat sealed except for smallish amounts when charging.

If exposure to powder during reloading then manufacturers are in for a big lawsuit.

An N95 rated dust mask might keep your exposure down I'd you do a lot of dry tumbling. Putting ripped up dryer sheets in your tumbler catches a lot of the dust.

There is more exposure to lead from primer resisue than bullets. Casting temperatures are low enough that you do not produce fumes. If you are concerned about "burning" lead of of a bullet base recover some cast bullets and you'll see they still have lube on the bases. I haven't done this with rifle since I don't load a cast rifle bullet.