• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Lead bullets through sealed can

BurnOut

DDOJSIOC
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Dallas
So, we all know that it's a bad idea to run lead bullets through a sealed can, but what if they're gas checked? In case you're unfamiliar, gas checks are these little copper caps that go on the ass end of cast lead bullets, and are there to allow for higher pressures to be run without resulting in bore leading. As I understand it, bore leading is due largely to inadequate bullet base obturation (basically deformation to seal the projectile to the bore) and resulting gas cutting (caused by gasses "leaking" past the base of the bullet and vaporizing some lead along the way).

Given that the gas check is what the propellant gasses will actually contact, and the fact that it's what will seal the projectile to the bore, I'm wondering if it will alleviate gas cutting and therefore lead vaporization... and prevent a suppressor from accumulating lead build up. Any thoughts?

thumbnail.jpg

I am not too familiar with gas check lead rounds, but what are the chances of it coming off the bullet and hitting baffles?

I am not too familiar with gas check lead rounds, but what are the chances of it coming off the bullet and hitting baffles?
Given that the gas check is crimped on to the bullet, I wouldn't think so, but I could be wrong. Regardless, I wouldn't expect the gas check to do much damage if it did hit a baffle simply due to the lack of weight; I mean, don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want it to happen, but if it did, I would expect it to be catastrophic (unless the shooter didn't notice and fired another round with the gas check partially blocking the bore).

Since you're reloading anyway why use lead? I know guys shoot powder coated lead bullets at lower velocity through 300 blackouts. But I wouldn’t run anything that could possibly spray lead or separate through a can.

It should result in significantly less leading. The gas check will perform exactly as you've described it and reduce the leading to nearly nothing. It would also probably reduce it more if it was a lead mix (tin and or antimony added) vice a pure lead projectile. Not sure of the caliber you're talking about and whether the juice is worth the squeeze, cost comparison wise but it would definitely reduce leading.

I would just find some hi-Tek coated bullets. I have ran thousand through Octane 45 and it looks about the same as normal crud on the inside.

BUT I can’t take it appear to clean it well.

The reason I'm looking into this is because I recently had a (bolt) rifle re-chambered from 450 Bushmaster to 45 Raptor, and when looking for heavy projectiles to load for subsonic loads, I'm not finding anything especially heavy in a .452 diameter... so I am thinking about swaging down some .458 projectiles. I have found some .458 heavies that are powder/Hi-Tek coated, but I am unsure of whether or not the coating will survive the swaging process. So, I'm looking at uncoated hardcast projectiles, and installing gas checks as part of the swaging process.

The coating won't survive the swaging process except potentially on the nose of the bullet. Hard cast bullets don't obturate anything like pure lead does. The gas check will prevent it even more. I would say give it a go.

What weight are you looking for? I think I had/have some 300gr bullets from when I was loading 454 Casull. Would that not be heavy enough?

The coating won't survive the swaging process except potentially on the nose of the bullet. Hard cast bullets don't obturate anything like pure lead does. The gas check will prevent it even more. I would say give it a go.

What weight are you looking for? I think I had/have some 300gr bullets from when I was loading 454 Casull. Would that not be heavy enough?
I'm looking for 500+ grainers... for subs, I look for as much weight as I can get because of muzzle velocity (obviously) being limited.

I bought some Lee bullet sizing dies today (.454 and .452, so I can take projectiles down in two steps), so I'll be able to do some playing in the upcoming weeks (depending on when Amazon delivers those sizing dies).