• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lead Exposure??

CanSniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2011
Colorado, Pawnee Grass Land
What is the chance of lead exposure to me and my family during the reloading process? I only shoot jacketed bullets. I have a 18 mo old daughter who likes to "help dad". So i am concerned.

Re: Lead Exposure??

Really none.
Shooting it, maybe if indoors.

Jusy dont chew lead or cast bullets indoors and you should be ok.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jusy dont chew lead or cast bullets indoors and you should be ok. </div></div>
^^Thanks, Can I chew on them outside?? hahahaa

frown.gif

unless you reload allot i wouldn't worry about it. I would think the lead vapor from firing cast lead would be more dangerous then touching cast bullets.

Wow! Seems the media distorts everything! I read yesterday they were looking for somebody to do control work in AZ. Required a million dollar liability insurance policy and the use of non lead bullets. In my opinion, that is insanity. Lead is something you wouldn't want to consume, but it is a naturally occurring element and there is A LOT of it out there. People have been shooting up the woods for a couple hundred years and in total, it's not a lot of bullets lying around contaminating the soil and water, although we sure solved the 5% duck poisoning problem by using inferior steel shot and wounding and losing 15% cripples on average. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, and neither is anybody else, unless they have a political position they need to lie about?

I even wonder about how many babies actually suffered damage to their brain by eating the lead paint on their cribs? Ask a yachter how great the leadfree paint is working for their hulls and the frequency of the drydock for scrapping so we can save all those little barnacle critters from dying of lead poisoning.....or was it just to discourage them from attaching to the hull, in the first place?

Lead is a very deep subject and you cannot discuss it rationally with an enviro wacko. The decision to use lead free bullets in big parts of the California Condor habitat is rather stupid, in my opinion. Here you have a bird that has lost the race to extinction without massive funding and feeding chicks with a momma condor arm puppet. We now have so many that we are donating birds to Mexico and the Grand canyon. Look for a campaign to outlaw lead bullets over every square mile those birds have ever flown.

Also look for major effort to increase the span of electrical conductors on power poles so the little darlings will no longer electrocute themselves with their over ten foot wingspan. A billion dollars or so would do it, if we economize elsewhere? Like senior healthcare, maybe? Then, since a couple of them have died from drinking antifreeze, huge fines would teach people to be more careful when their radiator overheats. A shovel and strong bags should be mandatory for the trunk.

If an animal has lost the evolutionary race, that's a shame. But extraordinary effort to preserve them is unwise. Just my opinion. BB

Like you said, you use "jacketed" bullets. How are you being exposed to lead? And seeing as how a lot people reload, and have been, for a long time, and we've read SOO many stories of lead related illnesses in them... hell, what about before cartridges when people just handled lead balls with their bare hands..?

There's nothing you need to worry about.

Lead in adults isn't that big of a deal and over time the body will expel the lead. Children on the other hand is a different story. Lead will cause brain damage in children. Here's the thing they have to ingest it or breath it in.

The big deal made about paint was because kids were eating lead paint chips. I don't believe that many kids were and it was politicians over reacting like they always do.

Last year the lead toys that came from China were imported by Mattel. However, they help right the legislation that was pass saying all toys need to be tested for lead. On e of the things in the legislation was that a toy company could test their on toys if the already had a test facility. Turns out Mattel has such a testing facility. So small to medium toy manufacturers have to send their product out for testing and this either raises their prices or drops their GP. Seems like a good fix for Mattel.

Your child will be fine in your reloading room helping you out.

In the past, I worked as a painter and sanded and scraped on many houses with lead paint. I've been crimping split shots onto my fishing line with my teeth for over 40 years. I shoot black powder and handle lots of lead balls. Some of my friends might disagree, but I don't feel like I have any brain damage.

I've been pretty careless in handling lead and I should probably not expose myself to it like I do, but I don't think you have anything at all to worry about. I understand your concern for your child and I felt the same way when I had young children in the house and was sanding lead paint at work. I would always take my work clothes off and leave them outside before entering the house, so that my kids wouldn't be coming in contact with that sanding dust. However, I don't think your guns and ammo are going to poison your child.

I haven't really worried about lead until I started loading pistol and use non-jacketed lead semi-wadcutters. I am still not as careful as some, but I try to remember to wash my hands after reloading sessions to make sure I am not ingesting any lead dust.

For reloading rifle, it is a total non-issue. The lead won't leach through the copper.

While I agree with BuzzBoss's general sentiment that people are overly worried about lead exposure, lead exposure is real and can lead to issues. Remember that running water used to be carried by lead piping (the chemical symbol for lead, Pb, has the same derivative as the word plumbing), and people used to drop lead beads into glasses of wine to sweeten the wine, and we are definitely less exposed to lead today than our ancestors.

I usually just have my doc add a lead test to the other blood tests he runs during my physical. So far, in all the years I've been shooting, nothing has ever come back above normla.

While working at the ship yard I was on lead surveillance because we did paint rmoval on antenna systems. I got tested quarterly for two years with no significant changes going from indoor to outdoor shooting and plenty of loading cast bullets. I did not do any casting, lead fumes in an enclosed space can be hazardous though. As can depostits on tools used while casting.

Common sense though, most lead exposure is from priming compounds. I wouldn't let her handle cases from the range or be around the dust from a vibratory tumbler. Cast bullets are sealed with lube but still wash your and her hands after you are done shooting, loading, etc. Also no eating at the bench.

The thing is, at least for me, that the crazies are using this lead issue and hammering us with it. Yes, lead is poisonous, but the premise is, that a condor will eat lead bullets left in an animal carcass, killed by hunters. Okay, how often can you get a jacketed lead bullet to stay inside a deer and then, (for some reason) you leave it laying around, instead of bringing it home. I guess a condor loves those yummy bullets that are left in the carcass? Enviros act like it is completely believable that animals are shot and left out in the open with poisoned meat from jacketed lead bullets.

And, those in power are intimidated, instead of laughing at the ridiculousness of the claims, they give in, and error on the side of abundant caution. We can't be too careful, can we? So, now we have stupid regulations and people give total lip service to the "danger" and we all have warm fuzzy feelings about saving the environment and safety and it's 95% BS.

I don't think we need the EPA. Just inform people that they shouldn't suck on bullets and teach the condors what to look for and..... and worst case scenario, teach them the Heimlich maneuver, no matter how long it takes or how much money it costs.

And yes, I admit it. I'm being ridiculous in response to the hysteria surrounding the dangers of lead poisoning, and I am completely justified. At some point, lead might be judged too dangerous to be handled by the commoners? BB

I have been handling lead for as long as I could wipe my ass....litterally and contrary to what some might claim I am quite normal and of average intelligence. I suppose that begs the question; What if I hadn't ever been exposed to lead, could I have been the next Einstein? Doubtful. I was around lead smelters from a very early age when my father would pour lead joints in cast iron when it was in vogue. I litterally played with ingots when I was young and folks didn't know much better. I have made my own sinkers and played with lead most of my 43 years and I turned out ok. Yes I am careful about letting my daughter mess with spent primers but anything else I am not too concerned about. Just make her wash her hands and you will be fine. Actually with more thought on that you say she is 18 months.....better keep her out of the loading room till she can take directions to the tee and carry out basic orders. You don't want a hand to mouth age child in a loading room.....period.

Lead in water pipes is way over hyped. I have been in the plumbing or water/wastewater industry all my life...born into it, there is very little danger from lead pipes unless you can drink 3 or 400 gallons of water a day. There are still plenty of lead gooseneck corporation stops hooked to ductile iron water mains in practically every city in the country with mains that date back 50 years or more. The ban on 50/50 solder was insane and stupid. Now that most of that evil lead has been weeded out of water systems people have been duped into buying bottled water, just further proof that people can be made afraid of anything, for any reason, and made to pay money for things that otherwise are practically free.
once a child is over the hand to mouth age I would say you are safe letting them be around lead all day. Unless your 5 year old is in the habit of licking every lead ingot or wheel weight you have laying around. In that case they may be already suffering from a non lead induced condition.

The lead scare is an immense conspiracy. It is one of the most plentiful elements on the earth.

WoW! thanks for the respose guys, did not expect that. Just want to make sure to take precaution for my family.
As far as the "help" part goes it was more of a "joke" because any one with little ones knows how they "help". Please rest assured every attempt is made to keep her safe. Child proofing the house is a on going never ending tactical event.

I only know of one shooter that ever got lead poisoning. But he had a range in his house and he shot, recovered, and cast his own bullets, so lots of exposure. Other than that no.

I've been casting and sizing my own pistol and some rifle bullets for many years, I load about 15k rounds of rifle ammo a year in my house and the spent primers stay in a bucket with a lid and a tube running from the press.

I asked my doc to check lead levels just as a curiosity deal and they came back way low. Use proper ventilation when you're casting lead, don't keep spent primers shaking in front of the ventilation system for you living quarters, and shoot away.

I learned to reload by "helping dad" too. I've been doing this for going on 25 years now, no problems for myself or him.

If anything, if you shoot at an indoor range wipe your feet off before you walk on your carpet. My range has some wipes in the intermediary room, takes 30 seconds. You dont want to drag that crap onto the carpet and have baby crawling on it.

I don't think people understand just how much we are manipulated by the Media. The liberals have an agenda and they never sleep. BB

You will get more lead exposure from a #2 pensil than you will reloading. Damn schools are exposing our kids to all that lead.

Terry

Yes, if it serves their purpose, they will convince the little darlings that the graphite in pencils is actually poisonous lead and call out the Haz Mat Team. It's not the first time we have been intentionally deceived and it won't be the last. BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow! Seems the media distorts everything! I read yesterday they were looking for somebody to do control work in AZ. Required a million dollar liability insurance policy and the use of non lead bullets. In my opinion, that is insanity. Lead is something you wouldn't want to consume, but it is a naturally occurring element and there is A LOT of it out there. People have been shooting up the woods for a couple hundred years and in total, it's not a lot of bullets lying around contaminating the soil and water, although we sure solved the 5% duck poisoning problem by using inferior steel shot and wounding and losing 15% cripples on average. I'm not sure of the exact numbers, and neither is anybody else, unless they have a political position they need to lie about?

I even wonder about how many babies actually suffered damage to their brain by eating the lead paint on their cribs? Ask a yachter how great the leadfree paint is working for their hulls and the frequency of the drydock for scrapping so we can save all those little barnacle critters from dying of lead poisoning.....or was it just to discourage them from attaching to the hull, in the first place?

Lead is a very deep subject and you cannot discuss it rationally with an enviro wacko. The decision to use lead free bullets in big parts of the California Condor habitat is rather stupid, in my opinion. Here you have a bird that has lost the race to extinction without massive funding and feeding chicks with a momma condor arm puppet. We now have so many that we are donating birds to Mexico and the Grand canyon. Look for a campaign to outlaw lead bullets over every square mile those birds have ever flown.

Also look for major effort to increase the span of electrical conductors on power poles so the little darlings will no longer electrocute themselves with their over ten foot wingspan. A billion dollars or so would do it, if we economize elsewhere? Like senior healthcare, maybe? Then, since a couple of them have died from drinking antifreeze, huge fines would teach people to be more careful when their radiator overheats. A shovel and strong bags should be mandatory for the trunk.

If an animal has lost the evolutionary race, that's a shame. But extraordinary effort to preserve them is unwise. Just my opinion. BB </div></div>
Although BUZZBOSS rants abit..... he is entirely CORRECT....the gases emitted from primers is more detrimental than the lead.
Not Opinion but FACT
bill larson

The problem with lead is it is always distorted by both sides of the fence and so one does not know who to believe.

There is lead and there is other lead. The lead that you have to watch out for is not from your bullets but from the primer. The primer compound are lead based and it is in that dark carbon that coats your brass after you shoot it. The problem is people clean their brass with tumbling media which grinds the stuff into a fine dust and coats that fine dust like media. If you have done media tumbling you have seen the dust that goes into the air when you open the tumbler and pour the stuff out so that you can separate the brass from the media. The fine dust goes into the air and can easily get into your lungs or our children’s. It can also coat surfaces where you reload and that can get spread around say into your kitchen where it can get ingested. Lead is generally slow acting and so no one gets a response to it quickly but can take years and yes children are particularly sensitive to its effects.

I have two suggestion for you. One is to go to SS media to clean your brass. This puts the lead into the water so that it does not spread into the air or your house (if you are careful). The other is to have your children always wash their hands after helping you reload and not eat while they are doing it. If you follow these instructions, you and your children should be OK and can enjoy reloading together.

"Although BUZZBOSS rants abit..... he is entirely CORRECT...." So says Bill Larson

Wow, I may have that graven on my tombstone? BB

An interesting study

It indicates a loss of 4.9 IQ points for children with 0-5 microliters per gram blood lead concentration versus those with 5 - 10 microliters per gram blood lead concentration in 6 year olds.

It doesn't show them controlling for other factors, though. I imagine that children who have high lead concentrations are more likely to come from disadvantaged backgrounds as the exposure probably comes from living in older, less kept up dwellings.

Nonetheless, it is worth thinking about.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">"Although BUZZBOSS rants abit..... he is entirely CORRECT...." So says Bill Larson

Wow, I may have that graven on my tombstone? BB</div></div>

What, the fact that you only rant a bit?

News Item:
OMG! Deranged man walks in to a McDonalds and threatens to expose everybody to lead poisoning with bullets, unless the cashier hands over all the money!
Cashier, an Asian with a cold is wearing a facemask, therefore not afraid; instead calls 911. Robber is shot dead before he can contaminate everybody. <breathlessly> Everybody's safe! FILM AT ELEVEN!
Post script: BUT, as a precautionary measure, they still close the restaurant for a week to decontaminate. In lieu of burning the place down. Manager gets bill for $200,000.

(I made that up, didn't happen. Fooled ya, didn't I?) BB

Okay, Carter~ I waded through your study and yes, lead appears to affect IQ in low income, low IQ children. It mentions paint and gasoline at the very last, but not bullets as a source. I don't quite know the point of studying children with an IQ below 90 and how, or if it relates to other children with average intelligence. I know, it concludes that there is a drop in IQ of up to six points and that is significant statistically, but it bothers me that they used a segment of the population rather than a broader sample. How, or why was it that they could not find and include children of average and above average intelligence?

I am always skeptical of motives in these government funded studies. They have a theory and attempt to prove it with a study and sometimes ignore, (or conceal) data that does not fit their computer models. Global warming, for example. I think the scientific community has lost a lot of their credibility with endless studies, obviously weak data, some promoting obvious political agendas, while providing funding directed toward promoting their career. Yes, you can call me cynical.

All of which has little to do with the subject at hand, which is demonstrating a relationship between bullets used in handloading and lead exposure, in children. BB

Read my post above, the lead you should worry about comes from the primer. The compound in quesion is lead styphnate. Do a Google seach to see toxic effects.

I already read it. So, I think you are worried and I should be, also? But, can it be canceled by the rotation and gravitational effects of the lunar cycle, or no? What if I only drink bottled water? Just tell me what to do, Amigo; EEK! there's no time for searches! BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BuzzBoss915</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay, Carter~ I waded through your study and yes, lead appears to affect IQ in low income, low IQ children. It mentions paint and gasoline at the very last, but not bullets as a source. I don't quite know the point of studying children with an IQ below 90 and how, or if it relates to other children with average intelligence. I know, it concludes that there is a drop in IQ of up to six points and that is significant statistically, but it bothers me that they used a segment of the population rather than a broader sample. How, or why was it that they could not find and include children of average and above average intelligence?

I am always skeptical of motives in these government funded studies. They have a theory and attempt to prove it with a study and sometimes ignore, (or conceal) data that does not fit their computer models. Global warming, for example. I think the scientific community has lost a lot of their credibility with endless studies, obviously weak data, some promoting obvious political agendas, while providing funding directed toward promoting their career. Yes, you can call me cynical.

All of which has little to do with the subject at hand, which is demonstrating a relationship between bullets used in handloading and lead exposure, in children. BB</div></div>

You obviously didn't read the study or understand my point about the flaws of the study. Or understand statistics.

The most annoying thing is that despite your ignorance and complete ineptitude, we arrive at the same conclusion. This has got me so wound up, I think I might actually be wrong.

I told you that I read it, all of it, so your comprehension needs a little work. And, okay, I will address my ignorance issues, if you just calm down! BB

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The problem with lead is it is always distorted by both sides of the fence and so one does not know who to believe.

There is lead and there is other lead. The lead that you have to watch out for is not from your bullets but from the primer. The primer compound are lead based and it is in that dark carbon that coats your brass after you shoot it. The problem is people clean their brass with tumbling media which grinds the stuff into a fine dust and coats that fine dust like media. If you have done media tumbling you have seen the dust that goes into the air when you open the tumbler and pour the stuff out so that you can separate the brass from the media. The fine dust goes into the air and can easily get into your lungs or our children’s. It can also coat surfaces where you reload and that can get spread around say into your kitchen where it can get ingested. Lead is generally slow acting and so no one gets a response to it quickly but can take years and yes children are particularly sensitive to its effects.

I have two suggestion for you. One is to go to SS media to clean your brass. This puts the lead into the water so that it does not spread into the air or your house (if you are careful). The other is to have your children always wash their hands after helping you reload and not eat while they are doing it. If you follow these instructions, you and your children should be OK and can enjoy reloading together.
</div></div> This is more like what's I was looking for. Thank you.

I will move my tumbler to the garage......Easy enough. Still not sure what to do about choking condors and goverment conspiresies, and attacks at McDonald's(eating at MCDs is prolly worse than lead poisoning). But I can move my tumbler.

The cosmos is all interrelated, so they tell me?..... and your tumbler belongs in the garage, I'm surprised it isn't? BB

They actually use graphite now in #2 pencils... and Pb is from plumbum, hence plumber. Glad I could help.

Tumbler dust is nasty, I open the garage door when taking the lid off and wiping off cases. I would keep the kids away from powder/primers also (more worried about that than lead actually). Powder because the fumes and it'd be a bitch to clean up, primers because I'd feel much better about something blowing up in my hand/face than theirs.