• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lead fraying when seating bullets

Smoketheclay

Private
Minuteman
Dec 28, 2017
When seating my bullets, I at times get a tiny amount of lead fraying (tiny fragments of lead from the bullet) that sit on the top of the case. I’m not sure if this is from having my necks too tight or sharp cases or maybe I’m not seating the bullets straight enough.
Any ideas?

Sorry for the misinformation. I’m loading Hornady 6.5 ELds. So whatever the jacket is made of frays a bit

I actually have an RCBS champher tool as a part of my case prep center. Maybe I’m not doing it long enough?

The RCBS chamfer tools I've seen seem to have to sharp of an edge to really clean it up properly. A VLD chamfer tool works a lot better.

Reactions: Smoketheclay
The RCBS chamfer tools I've seen seem to have to sharp of an edge to really clean it up properly. A VLD chamfer tool works a lot better.

I’ll try champhering longer and if that doesn’t work will probably get a VLD. Not all my brass caused fraying, so I might have just not done it long enough for some.

There is a good reason why most will recommend the VLD chamfer tool.
Less work and better results.
I’m still new to reloading and didn’t realize VLD stood for Very Low Drag. When I searched I thought it was a brand. I can get one for my case prep center and replace my current one

Thank you

Reactions: XLR308
I’m still new to reloading and didn’t realize VLD stood for Very Low Drag. When I searched I thought it was a brand. I can get one for my case prep center and replace my current one

Thank you

If you are even remotely serious about reloading you were going to end up with one anyway, and one of those and one of these and so on and so on ???

If you are even remotely serious about reloading you were going to end up with one anyway, and one of those and one of these and so on and so on ???
Ha, I have noticed a growing collection of a little this and a little that

And so it begins, when I started reloading in 1994 I had this misguided notion that it was to save money.
In reality it's about the quality and custom tailoring the ammo to your rifle or pistol, there wasn't anywhere near as many quality factory offerings then and don't recall any of the custom factory offerings like Eagle Eye or Copper Creek to name a couple.

Reactions: jungle45
And so it begins, when I started reloading in 1994 I had this misguided notion that it was to save money.
In reality it's about the quality and custom tailoring the ammo to your rifle or pistol, there wasn't anywhere near as many quality factory offerings then and don't recall any of the custom factory offerings like Eagle Eye or Copper Creek to name a couple.
The possibilities are endless! :cry:

I ordered the VLD champher tool, will report back if i am seeing the issue after using it. Thanks everyone