• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Lead shot in HS stock

murray

Private
Minuteman
Dec 21, 2003
PA
I picked up some lead shot to fill my HS Precision stock up before replacing the recoil pad. Is JB weld strong enough to hold the lead shot in there if mixed together?

Re: Lead shot in HS stock

I used 5 minute epoxy, just get everything ready before you start, I like to wrap the stock with a garbage bag to protect it from spills, and I put the stock in a 5 gal bucket with some shoes to keep it verticle.

I filled the stock on my buddies 700P 223 with lead shot about a month ago, I mixed it with Acra-glass, but JB weld should work fine.

Steve

yes it will be. but make sure to mix and compact the lead and JB so you won't have loose lead shot rattling around.

Thanks for the tips! I was planning to mix all the JB and lead together in a container to make sure each BB is covered and then putting it in the stock.

Should I drill any kind of holes in the stock to provide a place for mechanical lock?

Would I be better off using Devcon 10110 or do you think JB will be fine?

I used 1 and 1/2 lead ingots stacked end to end. They fit snug, no chance of rattling around. Sealed them in with epoxy and then epoxied the pad back on. Very easy and no mess.

I mixed epoxy and lead shot in a cup before pouring it in a few spoonfuls at a time and tamping it. Worked like a charm.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mariner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would I be better off using Devcon 10110 or do you think JB will be fine? </div></div>

JB will be good to go. just make sure to pack it in.

Anybody have any pics of this process or of an HS stock with the pad removed? I was thinking of modifying my HS to make an adjustable cheek piece but haven't found any good pics of the rear with pad removed. What are you guys using to re-attach the pad to the stock?

Thanks
Mike

There is a hole in the stock about 4-5 inches deep. I used epoxy to reattach the pad.

You can make the shot removable by ensuring A) that the cavity tapers narrower as it goes inward, and B) lining the cavity with a plastic bag before adding the shot/resin mix. Resilient foam under the pad keep things snug.

Greg

I have used the white Elmer's glue mixed with the shot. Then you can slowly pour it into the cavity. I have
tried pouring it into a gallon baggie stuffed into the butt stock. I did this so that I could see how much lead I needed to get the correct balance for me. On bench type guns I just poured it full.

Here's a good pic of the recoil pad removed on a H-S stock. Hole size is 1" W x 2" H x 6.5" D.

HSStockVoid.jpg

I filled mine with shot and the insulation foam in a can.
You know that yellow marshmallow looking stuff.
I mixed it all up in a cup then poured it into the stock.
I let it dry over night, and the foam filled up any open spot. No rattles.
I had to trim a small amount of foam off of the end, but nothing major.

I used 2000 steel BBs and one 2 part epoxy. I mixed it all but made it sort of dry, not a lot of epoxy, it does not take much to glue it all together and my thinking was less glue between the BBs means more BBs and more weight. I used small quantities of the mix at a time stamping each one down to eliminate air pockets. Leave about 1/4" from completely filling the cavity, the mix will swell as it cures. Once it cures, you can go back and fill in the rest if you have any dead air.

The old pad will pop off easy, a wide flat tip screw driver from the bottom side and a quick tap of a hammer will pop it up and I pulled the rest off by hand. Stock still had some old HS epoxy on it so I block sanded but the stock is soft and will sand down very quickly. Use a knife first to cut off the epoxy, lesson learned and make sure you block it or you may get an uneven stock.

I did not use a grid to fit pad. I took my old HS pad to the shop, opened every Limbsaver pad and size compared and found one that was 99% perfect, I think it was a Citori shotgun pad.

I ran a small thin bead of epoxy around the edge of the new pad, about 1/4" from the edge and smushed the new pad on, held it place for a few minutes let to set up and then let it cure for 24 hours.

Good luck