• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Lead smelting plant closed?

rooster2/16

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 4, 2012
Le Boot
I heard "rumor" that the last lead smelting plant was closed. Any truth to that? How will it effect shooters?

I heard "rumor" that the last lead smelting plant was closed. Any truth to that? How will it effect shooters?
Yes, Doe Run is either closed to closing or has closed, however in talking with Berger, Speer and Precision delta, they said it would have little/no impact on production. Most bullet manufacturers no long used "primary" lead, which is lead that is excavated and produced from raw ore. Secondary lead is essentially primary lead that has been used in one form or function (car batteries, shielding, ext). As such, primary is more expensive and Doe Run was found to be out of compliance in environmental issues, and producing less than 12% of all lead in the US last year. I heard that lead coming in from Brazil (primary use) is nominally more expensive and will fill Doe Run's gap, and lead recycling is at a near all time high. Another words, no likely shortage anytime soon.