• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

LEAP 08 And LEAP 09 Scope Mounts

Fire4EffectCA

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2019
What is the verdict on the newer LEAP 08 and LEAP 09 scope mounts. I have two of their LEAP 07 scopes mounts, one 30mm and one 34”, and both are cracked at the hinges. Both were installed with a very high quality 0-50 inch pound torque wrench per Scalarworks specifications. I see this is a know problem with the LEAP 07 scopes mounts.

Reactions: JS8588
Looks like no one here is using the LEAP 08 and LEAP 09 scope mounts. I was very pleased with the LEAP 07’s lightweight plus ease of removal in the field, but the broken hinges on two of them was very disappointing. I have several 34mm Nightforce ATACR scopes and I am wondering if the LEAP 09 replacement mounts will be strong enough to support them under recoil on my AR-10 platform rifles. When I spoke with Nightforce they thought the LEAP 09 mount would be fine.

I had one of their flip to side mounts spontaneously crack that was holding an aimpoint magnifier (was properly torqued). They replaced it quickly and the new one has been solid, but it would make me hesitate to buy one of their hinge style scope mounts for a 308.

Reactions: Fire4EffectCA
I had one of their flip to side mounts spontaneously crack that was holding an aimpoint magnifier (was properly torqued). They replaced it quickly and the new one has been solid, but it would make me hesitate to buy one of their hinge style scope mounts for a 308.

They did send me a shipping label to return them today.

Scalarworks describes the upgraded Mk2 hinge on the Leap 08/09 as, "Twice as many knuckles and double the material thickness as the original."

Makes sense to me. I would be willing to use one.

Scalarworks describes the upgraded Mk2 hinge on the Leap 08/09 as, "Twice as many knuckles and double the material thickness as the original."

Makes sense to me. I would be willing to use one.

I will ask their tech support about how they feel about the heavy Nightforce scopes.

Reactions: RKBArmory
Using one on my 308 gas gun with a somewhat heavy 3-18x50 scope. I've had the new one for about five or six months I believe. I had the 07 and the hinges cracked on the third trip to the range, less than 200 rounds. Scalarworks made it right and sent an 08. Thus far, no issues. Ironically, I have a "knockoff" of the 07 that I bought for shits and giggles and it's held up just fine albeit on a 5.56 and not a 308.

Here's the 07, cracks and all.

It ended up causing cosmetic damage on my scope as well. Luckily I really like it and have no plans to sell.

Reactions: paulL01
Thank you for your input. I am returning the LEAP 07 mounts to Scalarworks today. I also have a call into Nightforce to discuss the use of the LEAP 08 and 09 mounts with their heavy scopes.

I did not realize there were counterfeit LEAP 07 mounts out there. Now I see there is one on Amazon that appears to be counterfeit.

That's the one. It's not quite as good, specifically the locking knobs. They don't stay put unless you really crank them down. I don't think it'd last on something like a .308 and up.

If you really want solid, aren't concerned about weight and it doesn't have to be QD, look at the American Rifle Company (ARC) mount. Bomb proof and probably the best scope mount I've used. Not overpriced like the Scalarworks either. https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/m-brace-scope-mount-1402#attr=65,381,406

Had a LEAP/07 mounted on an AR-15 with a Nightforce ATACR 1-8, used it for a year then it cracked, sent it back to Scalarworks and they replaced it with a LEAP/09, no charge. Happy the stood behind their product. Been out with new mounts about dozen times so far so good

Attachments

• leap mount.JPG
    leap mount.JPG
    298.8 KB · Views: 45
Scalarworks is first class. They have addressed all my concerns and replaced the mounts. I was also able to confirm there are several shooters running the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56 F1 scope with the LEAP 09 and it is a sold combination.

That's the one. It's not quite as good, specifically the locking knobs. They don't stay put unless you really crank them down. I don't think it'd last on something like a .308 and up.

If you really want solid, aren't concerned about weight and it doesn't have to be QD, look at the American Rifle Company (ARC) mount. Bomb proof and probably the best scope mount I've used. Not overpriced like the Scalarworks either. https://americanrifle.odoo.com/shop/m-brace-scope-mount-1402#attr=65,381,406

I tried a set of ARC M10 rings, but had to return them because they were not within specification.

Well, I went ahead decided to go with Scalarworks LEAP 09
Got it from Nashville Plow Works for $374
& the service & shipping were excellent!
Had a tracking number within an hour of placing the order
Nashville Plow Works is veteran owned small business- I was glad to be able to buy from them. Have a Steiner t6xi 2.5-15x50 that I'll be using this mount for (Scott, Liberty Optics)
At any rate, here's a few pics - came with a very nice card & some swag
20230628_160543.jpg
20230628_160602.jpg
20230628_160617.jpg
20230628_161746.jpg

Reactions: Rob01
Well, I went ahead decided to go with Scalarworks LEAP 09
Got it from Nashville Plow Works for $374
& the service & shipping were excellent!
Had a tracking number within an hour of placing the order
Nashville Plow Works is veteran owned small business- I was glad to be able to buy from them. Have a Steiner t6xi 2.5-15x50 that I'll be using this mount for (Scott, Liberty Optics)
At any rate, here's a few pics - came with a very nice card & some swag

Very good pricing I will check them out.

I tried a set of ARC M10 rings, but had to return them because they were not within specification.
Never heard that before. I’ve been using ARC rings and mounts since about the time they first released and they have always been first rate. They are my go to ring/mount option if it works for the rig. Hard to be out of spec with CNC Machined parts but not impossible, ARC would have taken care of you I’m certain.

Regarding LEAP 07, yep, mine cracked too, quick email to Scalarworks and RMA was turned around about a week total. Got the new 08 and no signs of cracking.

I use them on two rifles. One is a AR in 556, the other is a PoF in 6.5C. No issues thus far, and have been quite happy with them. The "auto level" design to level the scope is really nice IMO.

So far, so good.
Got my scope in a few days ago & it felt like cheating or something getting it set up on my rifle in the LEAP 09.
I'm gonna keep a close eye on it though.
Has anyone noticed it coming loose easy or not holding zero?
I haven't yet but, if I do, I'll let yall know.
Mine is on a Son's of Liberty Gun Works M4-76 13.7" .556/.223
20230729_150826.jpg
20230802_221053.jpg

Last edited:
Using one on my 308 gas gun with a somewhat heavy 3-18x50 scope. I've had the new one for about five or six months I believe. I had the 07 and the hinges cracked on the third trip to the range, less than 200 rounds. Scalarworks made it right and sent an 08. Thus far, no issues. Ironically, I have a "knockoff" of the 07 that I bought for shits and giggles and it's held up just fine albeit on a 5.56 and not a 308.

Here's the 07, cracks and all.

It ended up causing cosmetic damage on my scope as well. Luckily I really like it and have no plans to sell.
Just wondering how many rounds you have thru the new 08? Especially since it's handling a 308.