• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Leap in quality: Vortex PST 6-24x -> G2DMR

Janus4088

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2009
San Jose, CA
I am getting my first .308 build put together and am trying to figure out if the $300ish dollar leap between a NIB Vortex PST 6-24x FFP mil/mil to a used Bushnell G2DMR will be something tangible for me.

My first and only scope is a Weaver 3-10x Tactical Grand Slam mil/mil midway exclusive on a .22lr trainer (Savage MKII FV-SR). I have shot .223 / .308 / 300WM bolt actions -- all of which used SuperSniper (10x fixed or 3-9x nonHD models). So I have never looked through high quality glass.

Is there a noticeable difference between the PST and G2DMR that will make it worth the extra cash? I am on a tight budget with this rifle build because I also want to be investing in a reloading setup, and other range gear. I am trying to have a shootable package (ammo and all) for under $3k, and $1700ish will be spent on the rifle (FN SPR A2/A4), so if I spend $1100 on a used G2DMR that only leaves me with $200 for rings and a bipod.

TLDR: Is the upgrade from the PST to G2DMR worth the cash?

Re: Leap in quality: Vortex PST 6-24x -> G2DMR

First, "G2DMR" is a reticle design, not a scope model. So it's a bit tough to determine to which of the several Bushnell Tactical models you are comparing the PST. Also, nowhere in your post do you mention how the scope will be used.

I own both a Viper PST 4-16x50 and a Bushnell Tactical 3-12x44. I cannot see a significant difference in the glass quality, but I'm an eyeglass wearer with astigmatism and thus am not the ultimate authority on subjective optic evaluations. The PST has a zero stop function and illumination; the Tactical does not. The G2DMR reticle in the Bushnell is more to my liking than the EBR1 of the PST. Both scopes appear to be well-constructed and mechanically robust. Both have approximately the same amount of internal travel. If you go with the HDMR, you will get a substantially larger zoom ratio than with the Viper PST; the difference between 21x and 24x on the top end isn't much, but the difference between 3.5x and 6x on the lower end is huge.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Is there a noticeable difference between the PST and G2DMR that will make it worth the extra cash?

TLDR: Is the upgrade from the PST to G2DMR worth the cash? </div></div>

Yes and yes.

I have both....so yes and yes for me too.

I much prefer the Bushnell

BnG

Sorry I realize I should have been more specific about the Bushnell, it is the Bushnell Elite Tactical 3.5-21x50 HDMR G2DMR. So I guess I will hold of on a reload setup in favor of the price increase on this sucker.

I own both and the list goes on, with my SB the best. I really liked the PST for the price and wouldn't hesitate to buy antoher...with that said I'm a big fan of the Gen II xr and loved premier optics stuff...the G2dmr reminded me of that....as for as glass quailty...if you dont get one with heavy CA problems they are very good for the price...almost the best i can think of DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR. I paid $1200 for mine and you can catch them here for arond $1100....so its a good buy....now i will say I had an issues with a Vortex spotting scope and it was sent in on Monday and I had it back Friday....cant say enough about Vortex...I also owned a RAZOR that was a very well built scope....PST is a great scope but for a few bucks more the Bushy is a little better IF you dont have the CA issues...

I own both and the list goes on, with my SB the best. I really liked the PST for the price and wouldn't hesitate to buy antoher...with that said I'm a big fan of the Gen II xr and loved premier optics stuff...the G2dmr reminded me of that....as for as glass quailty...if you dont get one with heavy CA problems they are very good for the price...almost the best i can think of DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR. I paid $1200 for mine and you can catch them here for arond $1100....so its a good buy....now i will say I had an issues with a Vortex spotting scope and it was sent in on Monday and I had it back Friday....cant say enough about Vortex...I also owned a RAZOR that was a very well built scope....PST is a great scope but for a few bucks more the Bushy is a little better IF you dont have the CA issues...

The G2DMR's reticle has worked great using holdovers out to 600 with wind and quickly changing shot distance. The scope also tracks like a champ if you do need to stretch it out. I haven't owned or shot with the PST

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Janus408</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am getting my first .308 build put together and am trying to figure out if the $300ish dollar leap between a NIB Vortex PST 6-24x FFP mil/mil to a used Bushnell G2DMR will be something tangible for me.

My first and only scope is a Weaver 3-10x Tactical Grand Slam mil/mil midway exclusive on a .22lr trainer (Savage MKII FV-SR). <span style="text-decoration: underline">I have shot .223 / .308 / 300WM bolt actions -- all of which used SuperSniper (10x fixed or 3-9x nonHD models). So I have never looked through high quality glass</span>.</div></div>

The SWFA SS 3-9x42mm is actually pretty good glass, and equally importantly solid mechanicals. I've owned samples of the Viper PST (the 2.5-10x flavor) and Bushnell Elite (3-12x) and would say that the SS glass is better than the PST and close to, but slightly behind, the Elite, while its mechanicals seem better than either one, if only slightly. So you've had a little experience with decent glass, just for comparison. (I'm not attempting to compare any of these to $3000 European scopes, which I don't have experience with.)

If a 6-24x scope works for you, there's a Bushnell Elite 6-x24x50mm with a first focal plane G2DMR reticle for about the same price as the FFP Vortex PST. Might be worth a look as well. The Elite 3.5-21x50 is nice but quite heavy and requires 34mm rings, which slightly limits your ring selection and nearly doubles the price of rings in some brands.

I have the Bushnell ET6245G (6-24x50 FFP G2DMR) and I think it is a great scope for the money.
Compared to the Viper PST, though, it has no zero stop and no illumination, and only 19 mils of elevation. No tunneling, either.

Joe

Have you thought about the SS 5-20? Fantastic optic in the same price range as the HDMR.