• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing learned a good lesson today for sure

mioduz

Private
Minuteman
Apr 22, 2009
reaming my new chamber 6.5 creedmoor in a bit of a rush i grabbed the wrong go gauge and ended up going to the depth of a 308. So there goes several hours of work! Lesson learned. Slow down and double check everything i do (even if the gauge is laying next to the reamer)

Re: learned a good lesson today for sure

D'oh!

Easy mistake to make. Hope it didn't cost you the only setback the barrel shank had available.

Ain't learnin fun??? LOL.

I haven't made that mistake, but I've certainly made others.

I always give the workbench a thourough cleaning before I start tinkering on one of my rifles. One of the perks of only working on my own stuff. No need to have parts and tools for multiple builds out at the same time.

When the inevitable screwups happen, I refill the changer with Tool and Pearl Jam and get back to work.

I feel your pain.

I also learned a lesson yesterday in school. Cracked the hell out of a screw hole on a 95 Steyr receiver. I had a screw mixup and tried putting a big screw into a little hole. I kept forcing it when I felt resistance because (A) I was in a hurry (B) I thought the screw was just too tight because of the fresh parkerization job I had done so I forced it and(C) I'm a dumb rookie.

Fortunately it was an el cheapo I bought to work on in school. That's what school is for, I suppose. Better to screw up now, I guess.

Okay, I'll add to the pile...

Had a Douglas XX blank marked ".30 10" . Perfect for the .30-'06 I planned to build. I spent considerable time turning the contour to just what I wanted, then came time to select a bushing for my Grizzly rod to get the blank true in the spider for thread and chamber.

All the bushings seemed far too small, so I grabbed a Sierra 168 grain Matchking and lo and behold, it dropped right through the bore!

Moral of the story: Slug that blank - it is IS possible to get one that's mis-marked!

I guess now I know why the old gun shop I got it from still had it lying around!

Cheers... Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a Douglas XX blank marked ".30 10" . Perfect for the .30-'06 I planned to build. I spent considerable time turning the contour to just what I wanted, then came time to select a bushing for my Grizzly rod to get the blank true in the spider for thread and chamber.

All the bushings seemed far too small, so I grabbed a Sierra 168 grain Matchking and lo and behold, it dropped right through the bore!</div></div>

Looks like it's time to make an 8mm-06 or a 338-06...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 2156SMK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Just Jim</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a Douglas XX blank marked ".30 10" . Perfect for the .30-'06 I planned to build. I spent considerable time turning the contour to just what I wanted, then came time to select a bushing for my Grizzly rod to get the blank true in the spider for thread and chamber.

All the bushings seemed far too small, so I grabbed a Sierra 168 grain Matchking and lo and behold, it dropped right through the bore!</div></div>

Looks like it's time to make an 8mm-06 or a 338-06... </div></div>

All for 338-06